Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
3d conversion not working for Benq w1080st projector
Artful_Dodger [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 24, 2014 18:42 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am using the Benq w1080st (the short throw cousin of the Benq w1070) projector with my macbook retina pro running windows 8.1. The laptop has passed the hardware requirement test from Cyberlink. I'm using PowerDVD ultra 14. The projector is Full-HD and works at 144 Hz, and I am using active shutter glasses that work at 144Hz as well. I've been able to view native 3d blu-rays with no issues whatsoever and the image is fantastic. However the 3D conversion feature on PowerDVD 14 is one that I'd really like to use for 2d blu rays and rips thereof, but it doesn't seem to work. When I press the 3d button, I go get the slightly displaced overlay of two images, that is supposed to create a 3d image, but when I view using my glasses the images still flat. There is no 3d effect whatsoever.

What could I be doing wrong? Any input much appreciated. Thanks!
[Post New]
don't bother with 2d to 3d. it just makes the middle of the picture stick out. even if you got it to work you'd realise how bad 2d to 3d is.
Artful_Dodger [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for that input. I understand that 2d-to-3d conversion is likely to be quite bad. Otherwise I'd expect there to be more buzz about it. I just want to see how bad it is for myself. I have a hardware 2d-to-3d converter in the mail as well. Would like to compare the hardware and software conversion approaches. If only I could get this program to work that is.
[Post New]
in that case, it seems that your just not picking up the depth as the software appears to work. so i recommend you go in settings and increase the 3d depth slider to maximum. this doesn't affect proper 3d content. only 2d to 3d. the effect you're looking for is the centre of the image directly in front of you, while the sides are behind. no special effect.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2014 02:51

Artful_Dodger [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did mess with the depth. It seems like the 3d effects generated depend on the video being watched. When I watched the animated movie "UP" I could see the 3d effect. It was horrible though at greater depth, and virtually non-existent at lower depth!
I received my hardware 3d converter, and although there are no pop-out effects, it does work much better than I expected (and certainly much better than Power DVD Ultra 14). I didn't see what you described with the hardware 3d converter, i.e. a blind accentuation of the center of the screen. It seems to detect objects, perhaps algorithmically guess at which is the primary object and which ones are secondary, and selects foreground and background reasonably accurately. At the highest setting there is moderate pop-out. It's nothing like watching "Under the sea", but quite good nonetheless. Either PowerDVD Ultra doesn't work well at all, or I'm doing something wrong. So, until I stand corrected, that's my final assessment. Thanks for your input.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2014 00:41

Henri charles [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2014 07:12 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
If that doesn't work then you can use Mac 3D video converter that will help you in converting Blu rays DVD and other video format into 3D SBS/Top & bottom. After conversion you can then watch videos in your projectors in 3D.