Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
combining multiple video segments into one
acg [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 04, 2011 20:47 Messages: 275 Offline
[Post New]
Hey gang,

I have converted and produced about 100 videos using PowerDirector 12.

There seems to be a glitch whcih slows me down.

When you multi-trim a large video file, you get back several segments that are what you want. This is good.

It does not put them together as on contigous file.

I believe you are supposed to highlight each segment, then right click on the mouse and choose combine. But the combine choiice is grayed out and not usable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hey gang,

I have converted and produced about 100 videos using PowerDirector 12.

There seems to be a glitch whcih slows me down.

When you multi-trim a large video file, you get back several segments that are what you want. This is good.

It does not put them together as on contigous file.

I believe you are supposed to highlight each segment, then right click on the mouse and choose combine. But the combine choiice is grayed out and not usable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Does multi-trim put the trimmed sections all together on the timeline? As if they are separate videos?

Multi-trim splits the video into segments.

Then go to Produce and Produce a video of the format you want as the final output.

Produce combines all of the segments on the timeline into one contiguous video.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
The Combine PD12 tool only works for files that have been split and wants to join again.
Files only ones even with the same characteristics does the Combine.
You have a series of files on the timeline goes to Producer and saved as a single file. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
I would like to get them all together on the timeline so when I add music etc . . i can spread the music all across the combined segments. Otherwise I have to highlight them all so the music addition knows it is on contiguous file. At this point I am not ready to produce them out because I am not done with the combined video.

Also, I tried this before, and if you produce them out PowerDirector only gives you the first of the segments not all of them. (I believe you have to highlight them all in order to get them all produced as a combined file but PowerDirector seems to lose track that it is one file and only gives you the first segment.)

Should be able to combine them at will on the timeline.

Alan
[Post New]
You create your project, video + audio etc ... when ready click button Produce, choose the format and quality and saved in single video file.

To save only part of your project, you must select with yellow and click the button Produce Range

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 22. 2014 17:38

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Kevinv64 [Avatar]
Member Location: Upper Midwest Joined: Jun 28, 2012 05:41 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
Alan,

Pardon me if I'm misunderstanding. Something is wrong if producing works on only one segment on the timeline. It is routine for numerous segments to be assembled together on a track, with no need for them to be combined into one united clip. Now, if you're talking about previewing the video and it stops after one clip, make sure you are previewing in movie mode rather than clip.

Kevin
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will pay more specific attention when I burn the next multiple segment video. I know all of what yhou are saying. It seems something is not working right.

Alan
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Alan,

re: the right click to Combine feature

When you split and change the length or position of a clip on the timeline you can no longer use the combine feature.
The clips you split have to be in the same order beside each other and have the original lengths.

In other words do not move or resize them otherwise combine will not work.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
That obviously is what is happening.

But when you do a multi-trim of a large video file, it gives you back all the good segments as individual video segments which in reality they are not. You ought to able able to bring them together as one segment if you wish to do that.

Other software I have used has this feature and I think it is a useful one. I can get around it with PowerDirector by highlighting all the segments - but Powerdirector does not like to work with files this way.

Thanks,

Alan
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I would like to get them all together on the timeline so when I add music etc . . i can spread the music all across the combined segments. Otherwise I have to highlight them all so the music addition knows it is on contiguous file.
Are you referring to Smart Sound (Magic Music)? Yes, it automatically just 'fits' to the first clip, but all you have to do is grab the trailing edge of the music and drag it as far as you like.
[Thumb - audio.jpg]
 Filename
audio.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
148 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
138 time(s)
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: That obviously is what is happening.

But when you do a multi-trim of a large video file, it gives you back all the good segments as individual video segments which in reality they are not. You ought to able able to bring them together as one segment if you wish to do that.

Other software I have used has this feature and I think it is a useful one. I can get around it with PowerDirector by highlighting all the segments - but Powerdirector does not like to work with files this way.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan,
Powerdirector is doing exactly what it is programmed to do.
Comparing Powerdirector to other NLEs is not fair. You have to compare not only certain functions but the overall performance and price. There are not any Video Editors in the same price range as Powerdirector that does what Powerdirector does.

Powerdirector is not a commercial software, it is pretty darn good for a consumer software.

If you want to combine the multi-trimmed segments without having to render the whole project just select them with the orange arrows on the side of the scrubber, then Produce Range.

That will produce a single video of the trimmed sections.
You can then replace the segmented trims with the single video on the timeline.

It is just extra work to combine the segments of the multi-trimmed video .

When you produce the whole project everything on the timeline will be made into one video.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just recommendating a feature is not the same as critisizing the software. I believe it is fair to compare features on different software packages this is how you improve the one software package you like ie: Powerdirector.

I was just looking for a solution of pulling segments together. I still believe it would be a useful feature.

But that is me.

Fair and balanced as Fox would say.

Alan
Kevinv64 [Avatar]
Member Location: Upper Midwest Joined: Jun 28, 2012 05:41 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
To be honest--and maybe I'm missing something--I still don't understand why it's an issue. As I said earlier, NLEs are ALWAYS successfully producing videos made up of separate clips. That certainly includes PowerDirector, which is consistently rated at or near the top of consumer-grade editors.

You said this matter is causing problems with your music stopping short. I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to understand exactly what is happening there. Gary asked if you're talking about SmartSound and correctly pointed out the simple way of expanding a song to where you need it.

If that suggestion doesn't solve your problem, maybe you could tell us precisely what you are trying to do with music, so somebody can offer some applicable advice.

People here really do want to help. It's a good community.

Kevin
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
We can end the debate.

I can get around it just fine. Was ony wondering if there was a better way.

I think the PowerDirector forum is great. Not sure why we got into defensive postures.

Just looking for ideas.

Alan
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I would like to get them all together on the timeline so when I add music etc . . i can spread the music all across the combined segments. Otherwise I have to highlight them all so the music addition knows it is on contiguous file.
I'm a bit confused with these statements. I can add music anytime and anywhere on the timeline. I've never used or needed the 'combine' feature nor I have ever had to highlight any clip to add music.

We're just trying to understand what you are doing and trying to accomplish. Why does a music file need to be added to a contiguous file? Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Then you do not undertand how PowerDirecotr works with multiple segments.

Like I said before I have burned hundreds of videos and the capability to combine segments into one is useful.

Rather then attacking my question and verasity it would have been more helpful to listen and exchange ideas.

This experience was frustrating to me and the tone coming back to me has caused me to rethink using the forum again.

Alan.

GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've used PD for years. I use multitrim a lot for sports highlight films that are posted online. I think I have a fairly good understanding of how PD works.

We're just trying to understand and help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2014 18:21

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA