Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power DVD 13 reducing screen size slightly
willrousseau [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2014 07:14 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, if anyone can help me that would be great.
Does this happen with yours, too?...
When playing a dvd or a bluray the screen size automatically reduces, putting a black border around the edges of the screen, about 1cm in width.
I've gone through the settings to see if there's a way to fix this, but can't see how to.
Otherwise, everything works just fine.
It's not a major problem, but I would like to get this fixed.
Thanks.
[Post New]
different discs have different aspect ratios is this what your referring to? also 3d discs tend to do this in 2d mode too. also, bluray discs tend to have black borders recorded in because [i think] all movies have to comply to 16:9 aspect ratio. besides this, i don't really understand the question.
willrousseau [Avatar]
[Post New]
no, it's not just the recorded media - when I play a disc (dvd or bluray - I don't have 3D) powerdvd goes into my pc and automatically changes the size of the display, reducing it ...when it does this if i minimize powerdvd to use my pc as normal, the screen size is smaller for general pc use, too - until I quit powerdvd & then it returns to normal size
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: no, it's not just the recorded media - when I play a disc (dvd or bluray - I don't have 3D) powerdvd goes into my pc and automatically changes the size of the display, reducing it ...when it does this if i minimize powerdvd to use my pc as normal, the screen size is smaller for general pc use, too - until I quit powerdvd & then it returns to normal size

Hi,
you may check our welcome thread in order to provide the needed base information:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27714.page

Please also consider to post an photo that can illustrate the symptom you face - from my knowledge PowerDVD does not change screenresolution

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
is your screen res greater than 1920x1080?

edit - i believe powerdvd lets you change your refresh rate to match the film. so if you have this option on, then maybe your "new" refresh rate doesn't support your "old" resolution. thus changing your resolution to a lower one & also having a matched refresh rate. possibly...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 18. 2014 06:48

willrousseau [Avatar]
[Post New]
no, the screen res is 1080p, but yeah, i think you're right about the refresh rate - when it makes the screen size smaller the refresh rate is also lowered - i thought this was to match a better refresh-rate for movies, ie. lower. I can't see anywhere in the settings how to change this, as you suggest, though. any pointers about where or how to do this?
willrousseau [Avatar]
[Post New]
hi Michael, as daaceking suggests & i agree - the refresh rate change seems to be associated with the change in screen size - not resolution. any idea why the automatic alteration in refresh rate would alter the size of the screen display?
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
there can be various reasons, eg. there is display scaling setting for the chosen resolution in your Graphics adaptor driver....

please post some minimum info, like DXDIAG log file:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27714.page

without any info it is just guessing

cheers
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
the 1cm border is called underscan. are you using a tv? you can fix this under nvidia control panel or catalyst control center. if your using intel, i have no idea. i don't know if it requires a one-time setup or everytime. the dumb thing is powerdvd's the culprit but no setting according to the manual [there is an option for v14]. i recommend you check every advanced setting in powerdvd for a refresh rate option.