Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stabilizer - Am I expecting too much?
Doctor Keo
Newbie Location: Paphos, Cyprus Joined: May 25, 2014 08:07 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have a few minutes of very bad video taken in lit caves.I have uploaded a ten second samples. I have tried using the stabilizer at various setting, but the 'fixed' video is like video of jelly - Am i just asking too much of the stabilizer?
Thanks

PowerDirector 12 Version 2915.
WIN 7 64 bit Pro
12 GB Ram
Nvidia GT520
i5 650@320
 Filename
Test Caves .m2ts
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11647 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
155 time(s)
 Filename
Test Caves with Stabiliser.m2ts
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11569 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
178 time(s)
HP Pro 3130 i5 650 @ 320Ghz
12GB RAM
Nvidia GT 520
PowerDiirector 13
Windows 7 64 bit
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Shooting video without a tripod takes some skill and practice. Even in-camera stabilization has it's limitations.
You might try being a little less aggressive with the FIX, and see if the result is less jelly/vibrato.
As a second thought, you might try going off the reservation and trying Mercalli from Prodad. It is a standalone product, it does not edit, only stabilize. It's amazing, but may not totally fix your video. Again, when shooting video, you must think and act like a cameraman.
Prodad is in Powerdirector's future, it's Adorage plugins will be coming soon, hopefully, but I think the stabie is giving them a headache trying to make it work within PD. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Typically, stabilizer is just a zoom in on the video (It tricks the eyes) so it is not really doing much to very shaky video.

If I applied more than about 24 zoom, I get the same as you do but I added the function to fix the camera shake it got much better. Did you?

I got a much better appearing video using both functions. Play around with it.

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
mleise [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 31, 2014 05:43 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
The stabilizer in its current form keeps the image centered, but doesn't try to fix the motion blur. The longer the exposure time the worse the blur and "jelly" look after stabilizing. So shaky night shots are the worst case for the stabilizer.
A potential advanced stabilizer could try to "repair" the part with motion blur by interpolating between sharp frames before and after the blurry part. Making an unsharp image sharp all by itself only works in the movies and it would be computationally expensive, comparable to video encoding.
DH Pence [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 07, 2014 01:20 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I built one of these rigs and am happy with the results. Got $5? The more stable the initial vid the better the end result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZtlSVgG1h8

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 10. 2014 22:55

Win 7 64 Home Premium on an AMD 1090Tx6 @ 3.2ghz, 16gb of ram, dual 500gb drives, AMD Radeon 770 w/ 1gb.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Good Doctor. I think you've gotten some really good advice here, and I tested a form of the approach that mleise mentioned and I think it gives a usable output

One thing to notice is that the jelly/jiggle/jitter is clearly in the original footage (see my short "jitter" attachment), and the stabilizer simply makes that apparent by removing the actual camera movement from the clip. The jitter is definitely caused by low light/slow shutter speed plus slight camera movement during the "long" exposure, so you can't really eliminate it.

However, I slowed the clip down by 3x (0.33x actual speed) and let PD interpolate the missing frames. It's not perfect, but it smoothed over the sharp jitter from one frame to the next. I didn't apply any other fixes or effects, and I produced that to H.264 720x480/24p/8Mbps.

I then placed that clip in the timeline and sped it up 3x (back to the 1x original speed) then applied the stabilizer at 20 with the Fix rotational camera shake box checked. Next I applied the NewBlue Rolling Shutter FX (from the Video Essentials 3 pack), and was able to remove most of the remaining smearing with a correction of 16 and a quality of 153.

Since the sound was lost in the 1/3 speed clip, I placed the original audio under the repaired clip and produced it. Download it and see what you think.
There are probably other ways of making these clips a little easier to view, and if you don't have NBFX, I could probably apply this fix to the clips you need stabilized and send them back to you.
 Filename
jitter.m2ts
[Disk]
 Description
2-frame see-saw showing jitter in source clip
 Filesize
2849 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
195 time(s)
 Filename
cave test 720 2 pass #4.m2ts
[Disk]
 Description
stabilized/sans jelly :-)
 Filesize
11027 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
168 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Doctor Keo
Newbie Location: Paphos, Cyprus Joined: May 25, 2014 08:07 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for all of your help - With your help I have managed to improve the video clips - and learnt a lot about improving my video.

Thanks - Doc HP Pro 3130 i5 650 @ 320Ghz
12GB RAM
Nvidia GT 520
PowerDiirector 13
Windows 7 64 bit