Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio syncing issues
Popnfrsh24 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Indianapolis, IN Joined: Jun 05, 2014 08:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hey y'all,

So I am a recreational movie editor (my specialty is making really stupid movies : ) and I recently purchased a new computer. I bought another competitors movie editing software a few years ago, and I have been using that the whole time. But, now that I have a new computer with Windows 8, and I realized this movie editing software is forcing me to purchase an "upgrade" in order to make this software work on my computer. I think that is total BS, so I have dropped that software, and I have been searching around trying all of the different trial versions of software to find the one I like.

So, I have stumbled upon Cyberlink Powerdirector and from the first impressions, it seems pretty spiffy. But, as with every movie editing software I have tried out, I am having problems! I searched the forums for this same issue, and I couldn't find anybody who had my exact problem, so that is why I am posting here.

Basically, I am a bedroom musician. My overall goal is to video record me playing/singing songs with my webcam while recording in a music editing program at the same time. I then want to use powerdirector to import the video, take away the webcam audio, and put in the "polished" audio from the music recording software. Seems simple enough, yet I am having problems.

First off, I want to mention that the initial webcam recording software I used (whatever Logitech's standard software is) only allows my webcam to record at 15 fps, even though it is capable of 30 fps. I realized that this is a problem when producing my movie because there isn't an option to produce at 15 fps. I have a logitech C510 webcam btw.

After doing some searching on the internet, I found that I can use Windows Media encoder to record at 30 fps. I now do that, and the video created is a .wmv file. I then import this file in powerdirector and I noticed that in the preview window, the audio and video aren't synced up any more. They are about a half second off. I ignored the fact, since I wasn't even going to use that audio anyways. I went on to finish with my video and made my "polished" audio line up perfectly, and then I produced the movie. I created the video in AVI format, and then I watched the final result. The video and audio were WAY off! I think there was about a 5+ second delay from the audio and video. I tried to create it in another format with the same result.

I read from some posts earlier that even though the audio/video might look out of sync in the preview window, it still might work properly once you create the video. I just tried producing a couple random short videos to see if it would work, and when I make the movie, it still has a half second delay between audio and video. I have tried making it in multiple formats, and all have the same half second delay.

Do any of you have any suggestions on what to do? I just want to make movies, and I find it rather frustrating that I can't just "plug and play" but I guess with something as complex as this stuff, that rarely ever happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm at work, so I can't post my full specs of my computer, but I know it is a powerhouse. I just bought it recently, and I made sure it was spec'd so it could handle using audio recording software with no problems. Here are a few ones that I know.

>Model: ASUS Desktop PC M11AD Series
>Processor: Intel Core i7-4770S CPU @ 3.10 GHz
>RAM: 8.00 GB
>Operating system: Windows 8.1 64 bit

If I remember correctly, the one area where this computer skimps out on is the video card. I believe it might be an integrated video card, which I'm sure is not ideal for movie editing. But, I would think that it could handle something as simple as a short 10 second movie.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! I am a pretty big newb when it comes to video formats/compression topics/etc, but I am an electrical engineer and I like to think I pick up on this stuff pretty quickly. Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Pop
Popnfrsh24 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Indianapolis, IN Joined: Jun 05, 2014 08:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I just looked up my computer on the website where I bought it from, and it looks like I do have an integrated graphics card...looks like it is a Intel HD Graphics 4600.

I can double check when I get home to make sure this is the correct one.
Daniel.Saxer [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Argentina Joined: Apr 06, 2014 23:08 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!!
Sometimes I have the same problem as you have
you can reproduce your "production" with VLC, and from VLC, with "Esc-k and Esc-j" you can resync the audio by 100 millisecons. When you reach the audio sync (in VLC) take note how much milleconds you has syncing.
Then, in PowerDirector you can split the audio from the video, and edit the audio, then split the first second of audio (usually has no sound), and change the duration, if you need 500 millisecons more, you change that second of audio to 1.5 seconds; then back to PD, put all toghether and produce the new video.
This looks complicate but when you do 2 or 3 time will be ease
This works only if your desynchronized audio is fixed in time, if you have variable desynchronized audio will be more complicated.
Daniel Saxer
Asus GT750
i74700 2.4 + GTX770M + 16Gb ram
Popnfrsh24 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I appreciate the response Daniel, but that is just too much extra work for me to do. Nobody else has had this issue like mine?? Can anybody shed some light on what they think the issue might be?