Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector crashes - again......
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 30, 2006 19:00 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Again I have problems with PD (build : 5.00.1816) when saving the project file.
This varies from time to time what the reasons are, but the result is that the project file is currupt.

Sometimes I am not able to fix the currupted file, but in the project I am workning on right now, the problems seems to be that the start text in the project file are missing after saving the project file - causing the program to crash.....
Inserting the missing text - the project file seems to works again.....

======== MISSING TEXT ============
Content-Type: multipart/related
--- partseparator
Content-Type: text/AEFF
Content-ID: movie-layout
--- separator
===============================

Why do Cyberlink not fix this serious problem ?
I can see from the topics in this forumthat a lot of people have the same problem.
I must say, that regards of how good features in the programs are, I will not recommend the program to others until this issues are solved - sorry !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2006 09:21

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

The issue you refer to is/has been dealt with. Please see the PM I have sent to you.

Dafydd
verdolin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2006 16:02 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have had the same problem since I purchased the program. After capturing from my DV camcorder and importing mpeg2 files into the timeline without problems I started to edit by trimming clips and adding transitions and music. That's when the problems began. The progam would stop responding or just shut down unexpectedly. It got so bad that I had to save the project for every change I made not to lose my work. I have been in touch with Ciberlink, updated the BIOS and drivers, installed and reinstalled the program eight times. I am working with 4 GB of 400 DDR memory and a 2.4 Ghz HT processor. Yesterday I tested my memory modules one by one and found that two of them failed the test. I am hving the memory replaced by Kingston. However, in the meantime I worked with the two remaining good modules (2 GB) hoping that this would solve the problem. It did not. The program still stops responding. PLEASE HELP! Enrico
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Verdolin,

Please see the PM I have sent you.

Dafydd
verdolin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2006 16:02 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I do not know how to see your PM Enrico
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I do not know how to see your PM

Sign in to the forum.
Click on Private Messages see top of forum headings

Dafydd
PS I've read your message......

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2006 14:49

Tony F. [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Belgium Joined: Sep 14, 2006 17:14 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Well hello this is my first post on this forum.

I'm having serious problems with PD5 Premium.

I hd PD3 and later PD4 and now since two months upgraed to PD5 Prem..

Since that day PD5 is crashing or freezing.

What did I do?

- reinstalling
- uninstalling an reinstalling
- reading all the tips in the forum and trying them out
- contacted support. They send me a reply with a lot of steps from updating direct X, drivers of sound video, the whole thing, updates.
- did all this, no effect.
- Got a new downloadlink for PD5 from support (now have build 1816), tried it all over... no effect...

What is my problem?

- when importing videofiles (AVI, MPG,...) 50% or more chance that there is a crash.
- when moving videos to timeline: crash
- when burning DVD it freezes....

- I also uninstalled Nero 7 and other DVD-burning progs.

Someone can help?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Well hello this is my first post on this forum.
I'm having serious problems with PD5 Premium.
I hd PD3 and later PD4 and now since two months upgraed to PD5 Prem..
Since that day PD5 is crashing or freezing.
What did I do?
- reinstalling
- uninstalling an reinstalling
- reading all the tips in the forum and trying them out
- contacted support. They send me a reply with a lot of steps from updating direct X, drivers of sound video, the whole thing, updates.
- did all this, no effect.
- Got a new downloadlink for PD5 from support (now have build 1816), tried it all over... no effect...
What is my problem?
- when importing videofiles (AVI, MPG,...) 50% or more chance that there is a crash.
- when moving videos to timeline: crash
- when burning DVD it freezes....

- I also uninstalled Nero 7 and other DVD-burning progs.
Someone can help?

Hi Fonteyne,
I'd like you to
1. Contact Tech Support again - stating clearly the version and build number of PowerDirector.
2. Give them the information you've posted here.

PM me the NEW response and the actions they've instructed. Include your Tech Support reference number (important). I'm interested.

Right, there are also some basic things i'd like you to carry out.
1. import video from a different location - move the video file to nearer My computer/hard drive/My works - have the video files in this location.
2. Do not import files from a disc
3. Clean your temp files, defrag your hard drive.
4. have you got a background software running....anything? PD is a "use a lot" program and you should not run background software...especially if you have a virus file checker looking at everything.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 06. 2006 06:19

Tony F. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello,

thanks for your answer.

I contacted Tech Support again and this is the advise they have given me:

By the way the answer of tech support came very quick (after only 20 mins or something)

(I post it here because others can hopefuly benefit from it too)

Aswer tech support:

Being a valuable customer of Cyberlink we will provide you a download link for PowerDirector 5.0 Premium (latest build ). Please note that you have to download all 6 files given below. After downloading all 6 files, execute the 1st file (.exe), this will extract all other files automatically after that follow the simple screen prompts to install the software.

PowerDirector 5.0 Premium (build: 2112)

(Downloadlink deleted)

Note : There is no need to install previous versions of PowerDirector before installaing PowerDirector 5.0 Premium (Full Version) given above.
Note: Uninstall previous versions of PowerDirector (if any) before installing PowerDirector 5.0 Premium.

I have currently build 1886. I'm now in the process of downloading build 2112 (will take some time), uninstall PD5 Prem 1886 and then installing and testing the new build 2112.

Will let you know what the result is.

See you later!

Tony

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony. Thought you'd get that answer.

Dafydd
Wacenske [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2006 07:24 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I purchased PD 5 Premium on 3 NOV 2006. It has crashed (PDR.exe not responding in the Task Manager or hung) every time I have tried to use any of my projects that I used and saved in the previous version (PD 5.0 Deluxe). I am running or trying to run Build 5.00.2112.

On the one or two occassions that I was able to load a project, when I tried to use the MAgic Motion option the program hung anyway right after I clicked on it.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled.
I have disconnected from the Internet.
I have disabled everything about McAfee I can.
I have quit Download Accelerator Plus.
I have run Disk Cleanup.
I have defragged the C: drive.

I am very disappointed, frustrated and upset that I am wasting so many hours with a piece of "unruly" software. I am pleased with their simplicity of use etc. but it sure seems buggy to me.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thank you.
Chris

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I purchased PD 5 Premium on 3 NOV 2006. It has crashed (PDR.exe not responding in the Task Manager or hung) every time I have tried to use any of my projects that I used and saved in the previous version (PD 5.0 Deluxe). I am running or trying to run Build 5.00.2112.
On the one or two occassions that I was able to load a project, when I tried to use the MAgic Motion option the program hung anyway right after I clicked on it.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled.
I have disconnected from the Internet.
I have disabled everything about McAfee I can.
I have quit Download Accelerator Plus.
I have run Disk Cleanup.
I have defragged the C: drive.
I am very disappointed, frustrated and upset that I am wasting so many hours with a piece of "unruly" software. I am pleased with their simplicity of use etc. but it sure seems buggy to me.
Can anyone help me with this problem?
Thank you.
Chris

Hi Chris,
Okay, have you contacted Tech Support? Please do so immediately.

If you can mention the files you're editing....
1. Type of file (dvavi, mov, mpeg, divX, Xvid etc)
2. length of file (time)
3. size of file
4. number of transitions
5. the actions you're taking
6. System details etc.

Create a DXDiag text file. Start/Run type in DxDiag click OK. Then save the file as a txt file. TS will require the data.

You may be overloading your system.... graphic card problem... lack of ram, hard drive space... hardware failing....

Right, first give the info to Tech Support and let me know (PM) what happens. I'm using 2112 build and could replicate your issue if you gave some data (over the weekend).

Dafydd
Wacenske [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your quick response.
I'll follow your advice and get back to you as soon as I can gather up all the data etc.
Chris
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Chris,

I think the issue might be you're trying to open a pds file saved in a previous version of PowerDirector. Because PD5Premium in a newer product and has different "attributes" the assignment of one version's pds to another cant be done... well that's what I have been made aware of.

I didn't spot it earlier - sorry.

Dafydd
Wacenske [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi again,
I certainly hope you may be incorrect. Whatever happened to good old backward compatibility? Anyway here is the answer from Tech Support.
After I try all the options I'll let you know what worked (or didn't work).
============================================
vcshireen Reply 2006/11/10 08:10
Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting Cyberlink Online Support.

We understand your concern related with pdr.exe error.

With regards to your issue, we would suggest you to please follow the steps given below :

1 Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, it will bring you Windows Task Manager window.

2 Click on Process Tab.

3 Look for the Richvideo.exe and pdr.exe (PowerDirector.exe) file. If found select them click on the End Process button.

4 Close the Windows Task Manager window.

Try the same as above in a different way as given below:

1. Go to "Edit" option at the top of the PowerDirector software screen.

2. Now click on 'Preferences" option, click on "General" tab, please uncheck the both of the richvideo boxes.

Also make sure that you have uninstalled the Anti Spyware program, if any.

Now, try to launch PowerDirector software

If the problem persists then please make a clean installation of the software. Please follow the steps to do the same:

1. Uninstall PowerDirector software:

a.) Start--> Programs -->Cyberlink PowerDirector --> Uninstall PowerDirector

b.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit" --> click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" --> click
"Software" --> click "Cyberlink" -->Power Director. Delete folder "PowerDirector".

c.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit"--> click "Hkey_Current_user" --> click
"Software" --> click "Cyberlink" -->Power Director. Delete folder "Power Director".

d.) Reboot your PC.

2. Upon restart reinstall PowerDirector .

Now try to open the project again.

If issue still persists then try the steps below:

Start Windows in Selective Startup mode.

a. Click on Start.
b. Click on Run.
c. Type msconfig and click on OK.
d. A System Configuration Utility window will come up.
e. On General tab, select Selective Startup.
f. Uncheck "Load Startup Items".
g. Click on Apply.
h. Click on OK.
i. Click on Close.
j. It will ask you to restart your computer. Click on "Restart".

Now, try again.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I hope so to. After being told one thing and ...ummm. I really hope you're successful.

Dafydd
Tony F. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, its me again.

After downloading PD5 premium 2112, i installed it first on a clean Fresh Windows XP Home system.

And it worked! Only one problem: when I burn a project to DVD and select to autoadjust to the DVD+R of 4.7 GB, it starts the burning. After some time it gives an error: Burning Error Code e0ff003e.

The problem was that the file PD5 made was little bit to big for the DVD+R so it could not burn to the DVD.

I then burned the same project to Hard Disk, and then shrink it to the 4.7 GB with Pinnacle InstantCopy.

SO it seems that the autoadjust function is not working correctly in PD5.

Someone have a tip or idea?

Secondly I installed PD5 prem 2112 on my usual system with WIndows XP (have a dual boot Windows XP with one clean WIndows and another one which is 'not clean' this means there is al sort of software running like Firewall, Antivirus, Skype, InCD, Widgets, E-mailchecker, etc...

I must say I installed after uninstalling according to Tech Supports advise. I cleaned also the registry etc...

Well here too it's working until now. No problem until now, now freezes, no crashes, only the same problem with the auto-adjust feature when burning to DVD.

Voila. When I should have a problem I will come back here.

thanks
Tony