Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sound Quality downgraded
SebastianL1987 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Belgium Europe Joined: Apr 05, 2014 06:07 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Why does powerdvd only output LPCM 48Khz/16bits 6 channels ?

DTS HD is 96Khz/24 bit !

Windows is configured to output 96Khz/24bit.

Am I missing something ? My soundcard (creative ZxR) should decode it to 96Khz/24 bit in 5.1 !

Thnks

Sebastian

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 13. 2014 09:53

SebastianL1987 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I already found the answer, it seams my +200 euro sound card can not officially handle that. It makes me wonder which retard is making things official or not. Luckily something like ANYDVD HD exists, if you use that you get 48Khz/24bit but still NO 96Khz/24 bit ! A shame that Cyberlink can't do anything about that or does not get payed to do so. And how old is the list of supported sound cards anyway ? This is clearly a lack of competence on behalf of the blu-ray security on the disks and Cyberlink !

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 13. 2014 09:46

[Post New]
nothing to do with official. idt isn't supported afaik but i have full hd. bluray is 24/48 not 24/96. unless your playing an exceptional disc

are none of the 5.1 settings outputting 24-bit? if this is the case, tech support needs to know
SebastianL1987 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: nothing to do with official. idt isn't supported afaik but i have full hd. bluray is 24/48 not 24/96. unless your playing an exceptional disc

are none of the 5.1 settings outputting 24-bit? if this is the case, tech support needs to know

I don't understand what your saying. DTS-HD master audio is 96Khz/24 bit for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup ! Look it up !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 14. 2014 05:47

[Post New]
If your talking about dts-hd ma, it is always 24/48 the codec supports higher sample rate but doesn't mean it is being used. For example dts-hd ma supports around 20mbps bitrate but on bluray your only going to get around 5. The only reason you'd use dts-hd is if your not using English audio track on some discs haven't tested these but doubt these would use 96 sample rate considering they supposed to conserve space. It's like saying mp3 supports 320kbps. It doesn't mean it is 320kbps everytime. It just means it can be.
SebastianL1987 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If your talking about dts-hd ma, it is always 24/48 the codec supports higher sample rate but doesn't mean it is being used. For example dts-hd ma supports around 20mbps bitrate but on bluray your only going to get around 5. The only reason you'd use dts-hd is if your not using English audio track on some discs haven't tested these but doubt these would use 96 sample rate considering they supposed to conserve space. It's like saying mp3 supports 320kbps. It doesn't mean it is 320kbps everytime. It just means it can be.

I understand that, but how do you explain what I wrote in my 2nd message ! I think every disk with DTS-HD master audio has 96Khz/24bit sound and the software encoder just downgrades it to 48Khz/24 bit and sometimes lower. Isn't that logical, because the higher the sound get's decoded by your playback software the more it will cost for them !
[Post New]
The guys who author the disc have access to higher quality typically 1tb videos not limited to 8bit video or even 1080/4k/8k and probably have higher sample rates too but once it is on the disc, I believe it is 48khz unless you start upsampling. I don't think playing higher sample rates cost more for companies like cyberlink than lower sample rates. Sorry but it is what it is. If the bluray spec allows 96khz, then no reason why discs can't have that but it's usually limited by space.
SebastianL1987 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I wrote to the studio that published the movie, than I know for sure what DTS-HD master audio is on a blu-ray disk. But the disk protection issue resulting in a lower sound quality I think is rediculous.

SebastianL1987 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I got a e-mail back from the universal publishing studios , "Unfortunately, we do not have the information that you requested."

But I took a look at the website of dolby and and there it says that the sound on a blu-ray can get up to 96Khz/24bit for 5.1 or 7.1 but is does NOT say it is !

So 48Khz/24bit is probably the normal overall DTS quality.

However like I mentioned in my 2nd message the problem around blu-ray security and the "supported" sound cards still percists when I use Cyberlink PowerDVD 14.

So I just downloaded a other trail version : Corel WinDVD 11 Pro

This media player does not seam to have any problems with my sound card and plays 48Khz/24 bit WITHOUT the use of anydvd HD !

The I ask myself the question why does "security on the blu-ray disk" malfunction with Cyberlink (is newer) and not with Corel ?

And if windows is set on 96Khz/24bit like my sound card won't the sound from the blu-ray be upmixed to it ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2014 06:06

[Post New]
Corel windvd pro 11 is worse. Every dts-hd ma disc I have tried has been 24/48 but always 1536kbps. I.e. Only playing the core audio not the lossless audio. Many other people have had this issue on their forums.

Edit - im pretty sure windows sound setting is not upscaling at all but it does make the input audio match the output audio so you may hear a slight difference that's not because it is upscaling

I read somewhere that 96k upsampling discs exist. Whether they exist for bluray, I don't know but I expect you'd see a 96k upsampling logo. Bear in mind your talking about high end sound so unless you have big expensive speakers, there's no point. A cheap surround system just won't cut it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2014 08:45

SebastianL1987 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Corel windvd pro 11 is worse. Every dts-hd ma disc I have tried has been 24/48 but always 1536kbps. I.e. Only playing the core audio not the lossless audio. Many other people have had this issue on their forums.

That's strange, since I get LPCM 48Khz/16bits 6 channels going to my sound card like mentioned in my 2nd message if I use PowerDVD 14.

Do you have a Creative sound card ?

[Post New]
My sound is integrated high end. Probably not as good as yours. You should report the 16 bit issue to tech support
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
you may refer also to our FAQs:

Compatible Audio Cards for HD Audio Output:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=15690&prodId=1&prodVerId=-1

greetings
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
What does compatible hd audio mean? I don't understand. Is it what the audio spec is for each audio type or is powerdvd actually incompatible with some hd audio chips?
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
to Output HD Audio (> 48/16) you need to have a supported Audio device that supports secure audio path in order to follow content protection rules from the industry

if the sound card does not support the secure audio path, the audio must be down sampled.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb649414(v=vs.85).aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_Media_Path

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
SebastianL1987 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dear,

Than I'm correct in my assumptions, for my individual case the corel media player is better regarding to the sound card (Creative ZxR) issues. Since it sends 48Khz/24bit to my sound card without having to use AnyDVD HD to disable the security.

Thnks

Sebastian

[Post New]
Ok so maybe you can update your creative audio drivers? May fix it in powerdvd. If it doesn't fix it tech support needs to fix this.

Bluray drm is rediculous. Anydvd must strip out all drm before powerdvd handles it therefore it seems like a powerdvd bug
SebastianL1987 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ok so maybe you can update your creative audio drivers? May fix it in powerdvd. If it doesn't fix it tech support needs to fix this.

Bluray drm is rediculous. Anydvd must strip out all drm before powerdvd handles it therefore it seems like a powerdvd bug

Well yes, but the article where I found that info like it is comfirmed by Cyberlink today is from PowerDVD 12 !

So if they did not change anything between version 12 till now I don't think they will do it anytime soon.
son853 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2014 13:57 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Ok so maybe you can update your creative audio drivers? May fix it in powerdvd. If it doesn't fix it tech support needs to fix this.

Well yes, but the article where I found that info like it is comfirmed by Cyberlink today is from PowerDVD 12 !

So if they did not change anything between version 12 till now I don't think they will do it anytime soon.

FYI, i am using PowerDVD 14 with Asus Xonar HDAV Deluxe and without anyDVD. It can output even 192khz/24 bit on analog 5.1/7.1 output. My sound card is not in "HD Audio Compatible Sound Card and Codec List" of PDVD but it operate with PDVD better than TMT 6.

However, WASABI exclusive function of PDVD 14 doesn't work with analog 5.1/7.1 output, a little disappointed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2014 14:22

mike.T [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 17, 2012 05:05 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]

FYI, i am using PowerDVD 14 with Asus Xonar HDAV Deluxe and without anyDVD. It can output even 192khz/24 bit on analog 5.1/7.1 output. My sound card is not in "HD Audio Compatible Sound Card and Codec List" of PDVD but it operate with PDVD better than TMT 6.

However, WASABI exclusive function of PDVD 14 doesn't work with analog 5.1/7.1 output, a little disappointed.

Hi,

Can you elaborate more?
I assume you were saying that if you enable WASAPI Exclusive mode in PowerDVD when connected to an analog speaker, the audio got down-sampled to 16 bits/48khz ?
Or you were saying that WASAPI Exclusive mode failed to be enable so you could still hear sound from other applications (like WMP)?

Thanks.