Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDvd and Reclcock
bkrieger [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 21, 2014 13:30 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Whenever I try to play a DVD with reclock, I get a blank screen. With HDMI and DTS HD, should the audio settings in PowerDVD be "Non Decoded high definition to an external device", or PCM Decoded by PowerDVD? Also, can I bitstream in reclock, or no? I want to be able to get the untouched HD audio stream the way it was intended, but I need to use reclock because when I play a 3D Blu Ray, the audio and video are not synched, and lip sync doesn't help in my AV receiver.

Thanks.
[Post New]
What's reclock?
m.wog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2014 05:18 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Pal speedup Software, play 25p instead of 24 frames. Sometimes made as solution from the publisher, you can see that if compare movie lengh between pal and ntsc versions.
[Post New]
ah i see! windvd has that feature. never really knew what it does. is it for tv series? normally movies are 24 and pal tv is 25. i'm not too sure though. when do you use it?
stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ah i see! windvd has that feature. never really knew what it does. is it for tv series? normally movies are 24 and pal tv is 25. i'm not too sure though. when do you use it?

When you want to watch a PAL disc at 24 FPS instead of 25 and this will mean you'll see it at real time speed instead of being sped up about 3-4%
[Post New]
is it noticeable & are the discs "specified" to be 24? what i mean by the 2nd question is, is that how the film/tv makers intended it to be played?
M8R [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 31, 2010 18:41 Messages: 89 Offline
[Post New]
If it is known material, you could usually hear it, e.g. if you own both the PAL DVD and the BD. The voices on the BD sound a bit deeper then.
Here are a few examples to try.

Essentially all movies ('the hobbit' being an exception, having 48p) are shot at 24p, so that's the intended speed. Stuff made in PAL countries for TV only (TV shows, concerts, sports) can be different.
Note that PAL DVDs can also be pitch corrected (very rare) or use other means of speedup like frame repetitons (e.g. for concerts, music videos). In the latter cases ReClock would do wrong, but for movies the PAL speeddown is essentially always correct.

ReClock can also do some other stuff:
It supports WASAPI (added natively for PDVD 14, though). And it can continuously correct the speed of the movie so to prevent dropped/repeated frames.

With DVDs it's always a compromise: Having repeated frames or wrong speed or wrong pitch or resampling or whatever. You can only choose what you find less disturbing.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's slightly noticeable I think. Trained musicians apparently can pick up the increase in pitch when music is played. No the disks are not specified to be 24, there is no such thing.

No it's not how Film makers intend it to be played as the vast majority of films are shot at 24 FPS. But here in Australia for example PAL is the standard for TV so they support it over NTSC on movie DVD's. But I find many music DVD's are NTSC here, which makes sense cause NTSC doesn't change pitch!

Bluray and 23.97/24Hz TV's have solved the issue.
[Post New]
i think the option is overkill even for perfectionists. whoever wants the option can report it to tech support. generally there are more important factors to worry about.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: i think the option is overkill even for perfectionists. whoever wants the option can report it to tech support. generally there are more important factors to worry about.

I don't, I do it using MadVR with JRiver and it was easy and works perfectly.
In fact I've configured both 23.97Hz and 25Hz content to b e played at 24Hz.
What are more important factors to worry about?
[Post New]
Well for one, ever since powerdvd started handling bluray and video files, it's been Plagued with bugs and still is. If the feature is smart enough to correctly detect problem DVDs then cool, but if it needs user input to determine problem DVDs I'd need to read the dumbed down version in the manual. I personally like to set it and forget it

Windvd has/had a feature but I never noticed anything / ever had problem DVDs. Besides bluray is the way forward and Disney DVDs are rereleasing in bluray. Which doesn't have the issue correct? I don't know about other DVDs though