Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
selecting multiple media clips
cymro [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2012 16:59 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
please please please help me before I go mad. why can I not select multiple media clips in powerdirector 10 on my laptop? tab and arrows doesn't work (yet it does outside of powerdirector), nor does any combination of the right or left clicks and pad on the laptop built in "mouse". im pretty sure its worked before. and why does the remove and close gap only work intermittently?
craig
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
If you are talking about multiple media clips in the timeline,
"Ctrl" LMB will add each selected clip
"Shift" LMB will select range, select initial clip, LMB, to final clip "Shift" LMB

Jeff
cymro [Avatar]
[Post New]
yeah sorry, in the timeline i meant. but no, ctrl LMB or shift LMB dont work. any other suggestions? i know those buttons work fine outside of powerdirector.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Since laptop, might be how you have the touchpad configured. Plug in usb mouse and see if issue persists. Those are the selection keys for PD, tab and arrows are not.

Jeff
cymro [Avatar]
[Post New]
as I don't have a mouse does that mean that there's no way I can select multiple media clips in powerdirector?
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
You need to know how your particular laptop touchpad works for left and right clicks. Point to the first item you want to select and then click and hold down left button whilst moving your pointer to the last item. This is the Windows standard block select action which works for items on the timeline as you would expect.
cymro [Avatar]
[Post New]
when I do that it either moves the clip i've highlighted or does nothing. of course outside of powerdirector what you suggested works fine.
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hmmm.. I wasn't expecting that. I just switched my touchpad on and tried it and I agree it doesn't work. What did work for me was to click on the first item then hold down shift key while moving to the last item and clicking on that. What I can't seem to do is a CTRL + Click to select non contiguous items.

PD certainly doesn't implement input from the touchpad in a standard Windows manner as far as I can see.
cymro [Avatar]
[Post New]
I hate using this expression but OMG!! you cracked it. yeah it doesn't work if you want to link non contiguous clips but just knowing that I don't have to move each and every clip any more is a massive relief. really grateful to you. thanks! not sure why this isn't more obvious on PD, but at least I know the secret now.
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've got to backpedal again . I'll put it down to the fact that I don't normally use my touchpad at all

With no item selected at all and pointer off all items click and hold the left button and then move the pointer over the first item and along items to the last only then releasing the button -they're all selected now. This is of course the standard Windows behaviour.
cymro [Avatar]
[Post New]
took me a while to work it out and a few fails, but youre right that too works. cheers.
nebxlous [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 24, 2020 02:56 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you are talking about multiple media clips in the timeline,
"Ctrl" LMB will add each selected clip
"Shift" LMB will select range, select initial clip, LMB, to final clip "Shift" LMB

Jeff
how can I do that in the mobile app??
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
how can I do that in the mobile app??

Please start a new thread in the PD Mobile forum.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°