Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Burned DVD Runs on DVD player and not on PC
nunoraposo818 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 09, 2014 15:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Its just like in the title, it runs splendid on the living room, but when it comes to the PC it fails even to open in file browser, i cant open the drive, nor play (tested on multiple computers)

Any sugestions?

Thx in advance
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Its just like in the title, it runs splendid on the living room, but when it comes to the PC it fails even to open in file browser, i cant open the drive, nor play (tested on multiple computers)

Any sugestions?

Thx in advance

What do you mean, It does not open in the file browser?

Windows Explorer can see a DVD in the DVD drive unless the drive is hidden by a Folder Option.

DVDs only have Two folders.
VIDEO_TS
AUDIO_TS

Videos are in VIDEO_TS.

If the PCs are Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1, they do not have a DVD Player.
Unless you have installed one.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Its just like in the title, it runs splendid on the living room, but when it comes to the PC it fails even to open in file browser, i cant open the drive, nor play (tested on multiple computers)

A browser won't have much to do with opening/playing a DVD, but a media player will.

Download MPC-HC from http://mpc-hc.org/

Double-click the install file.

Click the FILE menu|OPEN DVD and locate the drive that contains the DVD/BD. Click on OK.

As Carl pointed out, there's no native DVD player in Windows 8/8.1.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
borgus - Have you tried the free VLC player. It plays everything that I can think of and is simple to use. Oops forgot the link : It is here. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Older and less expensive DVD players will forgive a lot on a DVD. It will play over scratches, dirt, etc. Computer drives are less forgiving.

Put the disc into your computer and explore it. From your post, it seems that you could not even do this. Is this correct?

If you can explore it, What folders do you see on the disc? Pick out one of the VOB files and see if it will play with one of the recommended players or load into Power Director. What brand of DVD are you using? How much video time did you put onto the disc? Do you have an internal or external (USB connected) burner/player?

The normal issue is that the disc will play on the computer but not on a DVD player so a solution is a challenge.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2014 10:11

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Indeed, yes I have Steve. Very similar capabilities to MPC and for my purposes perhaps a bit more versatile. Thanks.
James131943 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2012 09:14 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
borgus1 : had similar situation. You didn't say what operating system you had on the "other computers" but as noted in the other reply......Windows 8 and 8.1 don't have a DVD player. I bought and installed ($9 from Microsoft) "Windows Media Center" and all my DVDs now open . Worth looking into. Jim