Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Randomizing slides in a slideshow
patmoore1946 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2012 17:43 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I need to put together a slideshow for an upcoming club banquet. I'll be using several hundred images shot in the last twelve months. I'd like to have them appear in random order but I can't figure out how to do it.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi patmoore1946 -

You're right. If you're using the slideshow templates, you have a choice of timeline order or date taken - neither of which is random.

Of course, you can customise the order of images in slideshow designer but it sounds like you'd like to have PD generate the "random order".

Using Magic Style probably isn't a good option because so many of the style templates repeat series of images, & they tend to use either timeline order or close to it.

As far as I know, PD doesn't "randomise" within the various templates. The only thing I could suggest would be to "randomise" the order by renaming files before import... but that'd be just as much effort as re-ordering within the slideshow templates.

Um.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
patmoore1946 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick response Tony. I was afraid of that. Years ago I found a program that randomized and then renamed all files in a folder but I can't recall what it was. Sure wish I could find it again. I was hoping PD had the capability of resorting all the images I import.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
This one will (apparently) do what you need - http://www.rename-expert.com/features/random_file_names.aspx

To be honest, I haven't used it, but it should work for you for a few $$$.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
patmoore1946 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That's exactly what I need but it's pricey.

It just occurred to me that for that portion of the evening I can just use Windows Media Center's slideshow feature on my laptop. As I recall it automatically randomizes slides.

I'm just beginning to learn my way around PowerDirector 12's video features. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks!