Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Change the location for rendering cache
Dhruv [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 04, 2014 16:10 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I've tried a lot to search for an answer to this question but couldnt find anything.
So all I want to do is change the location at which these cache files are stored, the files that are generated after clicking the "Render Preview". The reason I want to change this location is because I use an SSD for my boot drive and I dont want to hammer it with bazillion files every single day while editing. I know that it will take a lot, lot more files to actually degrade my SSD's life, but Im really going to use this software a LOT.

THanks.
Goranimal52 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 07, 2013 10:59 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
With PD12 open simply click the "set user preference" tab located at the very top of the page in between edit and produce and once clicked and opened look for "file" from there you can change the location on where to store
Dhruv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you!
I actually already did that but I think it just needed a good old "turn it off and on again". I deleted all my cache files ,then closed the app and that did the trick.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Are you certain that this change caused cached files to move off the SSD? It's been my understanding that the cache is always kept on the C: drive and is not user configurable.

In a test here, I directed EXPORT to another partition, then rendered the timeline. The files were written to the usual C: Power Director preview cache folder. Nothing was written to the other partition.

The EXPORT path is explained in HELP as follows...
"Export folder: set the folder where captured media is saved. To change this folder, click Browse and then select a new folder."

This path sets the default path (OUTPUT folder) for produced PDF files, captured video, etc. There are various subfolders.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 04. 2014 22:43

Dhruv [Avatar]
[Post New]

I changed the path of every thing that I could find in that settings window and pointed it to the same partition. At first it didnt do anything. but then I closed the project and deleted all the shadow files/cache and then opened up my project again. You can try something similar and it might work for you as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 04. 2014 21:55

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Indeed, after making those changes some files were written to the other partition, but various XML, test and WAV files remained on C:, seemingly splitting the cache files. Your image also shows files saved to C: (as well as F:).

Others will chime in with their more educated experiences.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 04. 2014 22:45

BrownChiLD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 22, 2012 08:11 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
funny.. i actually want to make sure the Cache director is on my SSD.. to get the most out of PD performance