Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Draw shapes?
android123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 02, 2014 21:57 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
How would I draw shapes and adjust the transparency like this:

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Photo editing software is probably the easiest way PNG files with transparent backgrounds. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi android123 -

You could use graphics software, as Steve has suggested, but basic things can be done easily in PD.

For your translucent rectangle example, with the transparent background, you can just use PD's colour boards. In PiP Designer just uncheck "Maintain Aspect Ratio" and set the opacity as you wish.

With 2D snapshots set to .PNG, transparency will be maintained... PD snapshot (including title) attached.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - SnapShot(2).png]
 Filename
SnapShot(2).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
234 time(s)
[Thumb - ColourBoard PiP Designer.png]
 Filename
ColourBoard PiP Designer.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
55 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1867 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2014 16:10

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
android123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 02, 2014 21:57 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks guys. That'd be nice if drawing shapes could be added sometime.
AllanSmithee [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 13, 2015 19:16 Messages: 54 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, sorry about dragging up a somewhat old post.

I would also like to add shapes; specifically I would like to draw a rectangle or perhaps a quadrilateral to highlight a portion of a video. I would like this to have straight sides. Is it possible to draw straight lines in the PIP drawing mode?

Also, somewhat related. I would further like to "highlight" this portion of the video with a rectanlge around it, or perhaps make the rest of the video a bit darker, just for a second or two. Is that possible?

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, sorry about dragging up a somewhat old post.

I would also like to add shapes; specifically I would like to draw a rectangle or perhaps a quadrilateral to highlight a portion of a video. I would like this to have straight sides. Is it possible to draw straight lines in the PIP drawing mode?

Also, somewhat related. I would further like to "highlight" this portion of the video with a rectanlge around it, or perhaps make the rest of the video a bit darker, just for a second or two. Is that possible?

Thanks

It is an old post, the drawing in photo editing software, saving as a PNG imge is the easy way.

Paint.net is a great free photo editor. There is a tutorial on using Paint.net for transparency and shapes.

See Through (transparent .png images)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OLKfRILqBM Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

AllanSmithee [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 13, 2015 19:16 Messages: 54 Offline
[Post New]
Great thanks for the response. Yes I believe I saw a youtube clip about it and considered that option.

However the object I would like to draw a rectangle around is rather oddly shaped hence I would prefer to draw directly in PowerDirector, otherwise it would be tough getting the dimensions correct.

Also is it possible to highlight a certain area of a clip and darken the rest?
Thanks

EDIT: I guess I'll draw the rectangle on a screenshot if there's no way to draw lines within PD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2015 23:56