Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Top Gun (BluRay) issues
Kincaid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2008 12:39 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Using either PowerDVD7 7.3.4407 (retail) or PowerDVD8 8.0.2021 (retail) I have issues with this BluRay disc.

Playing the main movie is fine. The problem is trying to watch the Danger Zone: The Making of Top Gun extra. Other extras may also be impacted but I haven't looked yet.

Imagine the screen being 4 quadrants like shown below:

When watching the Danger Zone: The Making of Top Gun I'm seeing only Quadrant 1. It appears I'm seeing only 1/4 of what I should which means I'm seeing part of a head, etc, as someone is giving an interview. It's unwatchable. This issue has been independently confirmed by someone else.

This is a bonus feature on the disc that is 2:27:43 in length that cannot be watched using PowerDVD. I had to resort to purchasing and using another software player which I am very unhappy about having to do. I hope this issue is resolved.

The recent missteps by CyberLink with the 2021 update have me extremely concerned. Right when I had been so happy to see a step in the right direction with the 4407 update for PowerDVD7 the PowerDVD8 update was fumbled. I also feel a bit troubled that the 4407 update makes me wonder why I ever purchased PowerDVD8. I feel like I wasted money in updating now that PowerDVD7 has finally been so vastly improved and, of course, offers HD-DVD support which PowerDVD8 doesn't and cannot.

CyberLink hands down has the best player on the market but your software is not perfect by any means. You guys need to step up your game because other companies are right on your heels. Please please put more commitment and energy behind your products so that customers like myself feel that we made the right decision with our purchases.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Sep 13. 2008 13:14

Joe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2008 17:41 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm this problem with Top Gun in PowerDVD 7 Ultra. I have uninstalled PowerDVD 8 Ultra as it provides absolutely no benefit to me whatsoever over 7 and in fact gives me reduced functionality. I would like to see an update for this problem in version 7.
nealm421 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Coloraod Joined: Oct 10, 2008 12:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Using either PowerDVD7 7.3.4407 (retail) or PowerDVD8 8.0.2021 (retail) I have issues with this BluRay disc.

Playing the main movie is fine. The problem is trying to watch the Danger Zone: The Making of Top Gun extra. Other extras may also be impacted but I haven't looked yet.

Imagine the screen being 4 quadrants like shown below:

When watching the Danger Zone: The Making of Top Gun I'm seeing only Quadrant 1. It appears I'm seeing only 1/4 of what I should which means I'm seeing part of a head, etc, as someone is giving an interview. It's unwatchable. This issue has been independently confirmed by someone else.

This is a bonus feature on the disc that is 2:27:43 in length that cannot be watched using PowerDVD. I had to resort to purchasing and using another software player which I am very unhappy about having to do. I hope this issue is resolved.

The recent missteps by CyberLink with the 2021 update have me extremely concerned. Right when I had been so happy to see a step in the right direction with the 4407 update for PowerDVD7 the PowerDVD8 update was fumbled. I also feel a bit troubled that the 4407 update makes me wonder why I ever purchased PowerDVD8. I feel like I wasted money in updating now that PowerDVD7 has finally been so vastly improved and, of course, offers HD-DVD support which PowerDVD8 doesn't and cannot.

CyberLink hands down has the best player on the market but your software is not perfect by any means. You guys need to step up your game because other companies are right on your heels. Please please put more commitment and energy behind your products so that customers like myself feel that we made the right decision with our purchases.

Well I am glad to see that I am not the only one that had the problem with Powerdvd 8 Ultra! Infact I thought it was Paramounts problem on how they put the extras on the Blu-ray disc. I was also dissapointed on the extras and how I couldn't watch any of it! Made me really really mad and since Powerdvd is my only Blu-ray player i had no choice but not to watch the extras . People at Cyberlink can you and well you please fix this major problem and also bring back HD DVD play so that the Ultra version well support it and play HD DVD's! Hello Netflix still does offer HD DVDS for the time being and until that ends then you guys should have thought about that.
Kincaid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Apparently CyberLink doesn't really care at all about problems. I posted in the forums and sent in a support ticket with relevant information at the same time that I made the forum posting and that was nearly a month ago.

I've been a registered user of CyberLink PowerDVD dating back to version 3. The only feedback I got from CyberLink when I submitted my technical support ticket was an automated reply. That's it. Nothing more. No personal message that they are looking into it. No reply asking for more specfics. Total silence. The PowerDVD8 8.0.2021a update was released and also didn't address this issue at all. It'll be 1 month since I submitted my support ticket on October 13th. Great work on support, CyberLink. You really know how to treat your longstanding and paying customers and make them feel like they actually got anything worthwhile from you. As it is PowerDVD8 was highway robbery and you are only making things worse.

For those customers who have a problem with this movie and CyberLink is ignoring you which, yes, they are, you can use ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre or WinDVD 9 Plus BluRay to watch this disc. They both handle this disc nicely.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 10. 2008 16:20

Joe [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can attest that both play the extras just fine as does my PS3. So this is without a doubt a PowerDVD issue. Also interesting to note is that while not perfect, Arcsoft TMT will also play HD DVD's. Cyberlink does not have time to rest on its laurels just because it's currently number 1 for BD playback. They should be more responsive to their customers.
Kincaid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Problem originally posted in the forums on Sept 13, 2008. Support ticket filed on Sept 13, 2008.

It's now been 43 days. There have been 2 released updates for PowerDVD8: 2021a and 2217. Neither problem addresses the issue.

I wonder which will come first: a fix for this PowerDVD bug or the Sun becoming a red giant and then moving on to a becoming a white dwarf.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2008 23:10

Joe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yea. It doesn't seem like a priority to fix it. It's really a shame.
nealm421 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Coloraod Joined: Oct 10, 2008 12:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Yea. It doesn't seem like a priority to fix it. It's really a shame.

True and as I have been told from the tech guy they are never going to add in HD DVD support in version 8 or another versions. Sad how they made up everyone's minds and never thought once about how many people still own HD DVD's and how how Netflix still carries them.
Joe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

True and as I have been told from the tech guy they are never going to add in HD DVD support in version 8 or another versions. Sad how they made up everyone's minds and never thought once about how many people still own HD DVD's and how how Netflix still carries them.

Which is why I still use PowerDVD 7 even though I bought 8 when it first came out. I have absolutely no intention of feeding this beast again. They've removed features that people care about and use. The product is not fixed in any kind of timely manner when bugs are found. And at this point, other alternatives are becoming viable for some people. Myself, I've started using TMT lately as it has HD DVD support and is very light on my system's resources. Oh yea, and they don't downsample the audio. PowerDVD has ALWAYS been my favorite media program, but, starting with version 7 things have really gone downhill fast. I wish Cyberlink the best in selling any new versions of this software. Far too many people feel as I do in that we've been burned. It was promised that version 8 would have HDMI support added to it for audio solutions that supported PAP. Yup....that's out there for us, right? Hmm, no? sigh.
Kincaid [Avatar]
[Post New]
What does HD-DVD playback have to do with my BluRay playback problem? Nothing.

Every other player can handle this BluRay disc. Why can't CyberLink? Why haven't they fixed it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2008 13:50

Joe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: What does HD-DVD playback have to do with my BluRay playback problem? Nothing.

Every other player can handle this BluRay disc. Why can't CyberLink? Why haven't they fixed it?

True about the HD DVD playback thing. It has nothing to do with this issue. It's just another annoyance.

And that's a really good question...Why haven't they fixed it indeed...
Kincaid [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's now been 68 days and no solution let alone an acknowledgement since I reported this problem directly to CyberLink. Over 2 months. WinDVD and TotalMedia Theatre have played this disc fine the entire time.

This disc was released on July 26th, 2008. I didn't buy this BluRay until September. Does this issue date all the way back to when it was released? If so then that is just truly pathetic.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2008 18:14

Kincaid [Avatar]
[Post New]
This will be my last post on this topic.

It's now been 89 days. It is one day shy of 3 months since I reported an issue with Top Gun on BluRay. I reported it in the forums and I sent a in a support ticket. Has it been addressed? Nope.

CyberLink, you have lost any and all integrity that you once possessed. Not one single shred remains. I see nothing positive coming the way of the consumer who spends money on your products. You overcharge your customers for buggy software and your support is abysmal.

The opinion of a long-time customer like myself probably means little to you which is sad because I and many others got you were you are. I've purchased your DVD player software going very far back. I always used retail versions because your software was the best.

It appears your domination of the market has lead to mistakes. Your reign is waning. Other companies are catching up and will pass you by. Your market share will slide as more and more customers become fed up and refuse to pay for your troublesome software with no support and updates that actually break the software instead of resolving issues.

Fear not, CyberLink, you will surely stay in business with all your OEM licensing deals that you make with hardware manufacturers and computer retailers. The end user purchasing one single license isn't as important as deals with the big companies. We, the individual retail users, are insignificant while the big companies are the ones to really worry about. As long as you set the price right and fool them into bundling your software with their product you come out ahead.

You've made my final decision so easy. Whenever I am asked what product I recommend for DVD, HD-DVD, or BluRay playback, I will be sure to answer with a simple, "Anything but PowerDVD. Anything."

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 11. 2008 04:37