Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 7 stops capturing at signal loss
hmlake [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2014 14:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Using PowerDirector 7 to capture video from vhs home movies, every time it hits a part on the video with even a short gap between scenes it reads no signal and stops the recording. Is there any way to defeat this feature? Record straight through by time or something?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Try using Windows Movie Maker. It's a solid NLE regarding CAPTURE, and the files will be easily imported to PowerDirector. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
hmlake [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2014 14:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Barry, thanks for the info, running Vista so Movie Maker doesn't have capture, on an XP machine I tried this and Movie Maker just didn't look as good as PowerDirector, plus it only saved to AVI and not Mpeg 2 if I remember correctly.

I read there is a hack to get the capture ability back in Movie Maker so may look into that. Strange that PD wouldn't be able to do something which seems so obvious. Thanks again.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Using PowerDirector 7 to capture video from vhs home movies, every time it hits a part on the video with even a short gap between scenes it reads no signal and stops the recording. Is there any way to defeat this feature? Record straight through by time or something?

In Preferences > Capture > DV Parameter Setup try unticking the items in DV auto stop "Stop capturing automatically when .....". These control what happens during a blank spot on the tape.

Jeff
MSED [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 13, 2021 15:40 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Using PowerDirector 7 to capture video from vhs home movies, every time it hits a part on the video with even a short gap between scenes it reads no signal and stops the recording. Is there any way to defeat this feature? Record straight through by time or something?

In Preferences > Capture > DV Parameter Setup try unticking the items in DV auto stop "Stop capturing automatically when .....". These control what happens during a blank spot on the tape.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply.
Nothing that I've tried has stopped the capturing.
Unclicking DV auto stops didn't stop it. Setting capture time didn't stop it.
So I guess it's just not possible.
The only way I've found to stop the capture is to simply click the Red stop button.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the reply.
Nothing that I've tried has stopped the capturing.
Unclicking DV auto stops didn't stop it. Setting capture time didn't stop it.
So I guess it's just not possible.
The only way I've found to stop the capture is to simply click the Red stop button.

It's functional if you are capturing directly from DV camera in PD. If you are using capture device, dongle, vcr,... so on, that's not a DV parameter setup so it’s not effective.

Jeff