Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to ZOOM 4:3 images within a 16:9 Project ...
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 26, 2013 09:16 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
I have a 16:9 project that has some 4:3 images included. I want to be able to zoom into a 4:3 image BUT allow the zoom to happen only within the 4:3 area. I've tried doing this using keyframes and changing the H & Vscales to allow the zoom over the duration of the image. But this doesn't zoom the image within it's 4:3 boundary, it zooms it all the way to the edges of the 16:9 frame. How can I keep the zoom contained within the 4:3 image boundaries and just have it letter-boxed with a black background? Appreciate any help ...
[Post New]
Quote: I have a 16:9 project that has some 4:3 images included. I want to be able to zoom into a 4:3 image BUT allow the zoom to happen only within the 4:3 area. I've tried doing this using keyframes and changing the H & Vscales to allow the zoom over the duration of the image. But this doesn't zoom the image within it's 4:3 boundary, it zooms it all the way to the edges of the 16:9 frame. How can I keep the zoom contained within the 4:3 image boundaries and just have it letter-boxed with a black background? Appreciate any help ...

If what I understand is very simple to do.
Select the 4x3, photo or video clip on the timeline.
In the preview window will appear white balls on each side of the image.
Hold and drag the ball out to fill the window.
Click on image and drag to find the best position without cutting off heads ...
This way the aspect ratio is maintained.
There are other ways of doing, and you can change the aspect ratio ...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 11. 2014 20:43

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have a 16:9 project that has some 4:3 images included. I want to be able to zoom into a 4:3 image BUT allow the zoom to happen only within the 4:3 area. I've tried doing this using keyframes and changing the H & Vscales to allow the zoom over the duration of the image. But this doesn't zoom the image within it's 4:3 boundary, it zooms it all the way to the edges of the 16:9 frame. How can I keep the zoom contained within the 4:3 image boundaries and just have it letter-boxed with a black background? Appreciate any help ...

I am no expert, try using Masks.

In the PIP Designer you can chose a square or rectangle mask and can adjust the size to fit your 4:3 rectangle.
That would keep your video within that mask.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi SeaLyon99 -

When your 4:3 images are displayed, are they the only things on the 16:9 screen? If so, there are only two options: have the image cropped or have it displayed with black sidebars.

Using Magic Motion for your pans/zooms will ONLY zoom within the picture space (i.e. no black bars). That might be a good option for you... BUT because it's in a 16:9 project the crop space is 16:9.

Perhaps I'm not understanding exactly what you're after. Could you do a dummy screenshot to explain?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have a 16:9 project that has some 4:3 images included. I want to be able to zoom into a 4:3 image BUT allow the zoom to happen only within the 4:3 area.

Assuming this is what you want... http://hevanet.com/hb/mask.wmv

Create a mask, such as the one attached and place it on VIDEO track 1.
Drop your clip on VIDEO track 2.
Drop the EFFECTS|ZOOM IN onto the clip.

[Thumb - test1.jpg]
 Filename
test1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
379 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 11. 2014 23:06

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Another option is to use the Progressive Stretch effect if you have NewBlue's Video Essentials V installed. It can seamlessly stretch just the edges of your 4:3 images or clips to fill the screen without changing the aspect ratio of the whole image.

If you don't have the FX pack or you want to keep the black bars at the edges, I think the above are all excellent suggestions

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
PD12 Another feature, which works for me, it has something to do with the subject of this topic.
I copy tapes using desktop recorder, this gives me an image 4x3 to 16x9 videos (compressed image) before I used a complicated method to force the 16x9 format and use SVRT in PD.
Now I can do right in PD12 and SVRT use.
I need to create a profile compatible with the original video recorder in Producer.
1 - Add the VOB file, and keep the 16x9 format for the project..
2 - Right-click on the video in the timeline and select, Set Clip Attributes
/ Set Aspect Ratio / The aspect ratio of video is 16x9 / OK.

The image is corrected and SVRT works when Producer.
Here the preview SVRT on the timeline does not work for video formats. VOB, talves because PD does not recognize custom profile in some cases.
Here works for videos, generated in Philps, LG and Samsung, handsets desktop recorder.
[Thumb - 4x3 for 16x9-a.jpg]
 Filename
4x3 for 16x9-a.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
140 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
101 time(s)
[Thumb - 4x3 for 16x9.jpg]
 Filename
4x3 for 16x9.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
208 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
91 time(s)
AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
optodata -

I don't have NBVE V installed, but when I read your post I thought Set Image Stretch Mode > CLPV might do a reasonable job. CLPV also stretches the sides "progressively" more than the centre.

Anyway - it gave me a bit of a chuckle - in the attached photo I don't have a twin brother. The guy on the left has been CLPV'd - easier than going to the gym! (I was just to the left of centre in the original shot)

A little off topic, but related.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - CLPV'd.jpg]
 Filename
CLPV'd.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
639 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
109 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 12. 2014 13:52

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!