Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Resolved to use PowerDirector 7 & Other Software for a complete solution.
Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2008 17:02 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
First I want to thank everyone who monitors and participates in this forum. I'm impressed with the fact that there are so many willing to share of their time to help others.

I've been working for more than a week to determine if I should switch from my current video editor to CyberLink's PowerDirector 7. There are so many incredible features to PD7 that I really wanted to be able to make a clean break but have resolved myself to the fact that I will need to continue to use my previous editor in conjunction with PD7 until PD7 can do the following:
- Reverse Video (I noticed Dafydd also uses another product to do this).
- Have a single page menu with chapters.
- Have as many chapters as I want on a single page.
- Return to the menu after playing a single chapter.
- Have different text or appearance between sub-menus.
- Jump from one menu to another (I.E. out of order).

Looking forward to using PD7 and wishing CyberLink continued success with this well designed product!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dan,

1. I will copy and quote your requests to CyberLink.
2. I created the reverse or flip time-line video to show CyberLink I wanted the capability included into PD. The "joke" video has proved popular It took about 5 mins to make... and was a here look at this quickie.
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/55/oooooooooo-/

Dafydd

David [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England Joined: Dec 09, 2007 19:18 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Aside from the reverse video, which would be nice, the other things are more about dvd authoring. I wouldn't really expect a £50 editing package to be very good at those things. But after saying that, Power Producer isn't very good at those things either.

I actually quite like the sense of achievement when bringing together elements from 3 or 4 different packages to produce 1 final result.
Scott [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2008 23:54 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD7 - Why don't they make an add-on for people who want these features - it seems like they would want people to keep using cyberlink products rather than using some third party stuff (one more program to learn). I'd pay extra for a addon for better dvd menu creation and i'd much rather it be something already familiar, integrated into PD7 - now it seems my only choice is to buy yet another piece of software to automatically go back to the menu after a chapter plays.

I get excited because the editing is just what I wanted only to be shot down by lack of menu functions.

They should have a better comparison chart of features so people know exactly what they are buying.

What other program is recommended to have better control over menu functions, please?
Dan [Avatar]
[Post New]
The DVD authoring that is built into Pinnacle's is much more flexible and is probably the simplest.

Sony's DVD Architect is the most powerful, to my knowledge, but is more difficult to use. Also, to create a polished product take much more effort with DVD Architect. Be warned, however, that the ONLY DVD Architect version that can handle Blu-Ray is the one that COMES WITH Sony's Vegas Pro (you can't buy it separately) and even that does not allow you to make Blu-Ray videos on standard DVD's that will play in a PS3 (I haven't tried it in any other machine).

When all is said and done, I'm not happy with DVD Authoring products from ANY company right now.
Scott [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks dan for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

I wonder why everyone slacks off when it comes to dvd menus? I'm not talking about real fancy stuff, I mean simple things, like auto return to menu after chapter plays, the ability to put everything on one menu page and maybe a transition between menu pages... PD7 would be perfect if it had just those few little things and maybe some more text effects built in. You can't even push the menu button on the remote while the video is playing, you have to stop the disc, eject, put the disc back in to reload the menu.

I'm searching for another solution, and requested a refund for PD7 - it's awesome software but they need to get all the basics in, then i'll pay for it gladly, and would even pay more. Now I'm stuck spending $100 for something that will do what I need it to do, and have a crappy interface. I'm not a coder, and maybe it is more difficult than I think, but it seems like a day of coding, they could add these few little features, have the perfect product.
Dan [Avatar]
[Post New]
I know DVD Architect and Pinnacle can do all the things you mentioned except for the transitions between menu pages. I know Pinnacle can't do that and I'm not sure about DVD Architect.

As for hitting "Menu" on your remote and getting back to the main menu of the DVD, I don't believe that is an issue with PD7. I just tested it on a DVD I made with PD7 and it worked fine.
Scott [Avatar]
[Post New]
hmm maybe it is just my dvd player, it doesn't work on mine, thanks for taking the time to try it though, I appreciate that.

Thanks again for your suggestions - I'm checking them out
Peter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2008 18:00 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I too would love to see Cyberlink make a REAL DVD design Package.

I use PD 7 Video editing and DVD Architect for DVD design.

DVD Architect is FANTASTIC and Really is easy to use. It comes with alot of templates which if required can be completly changed.

You can do all that you require and loads more. Try It.

Remember you can buy DVD Arch. as a seperate program. (You may want to try Sony Video editing program, personnally I find it way to complicated)