Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slow playback of imported .mov files
[Post New]
I have PowerDirector 7 Ultra with the latest patch applied. I am trying to use .mov files from a HD video recorder. When I try to view the file in the preview window the sound plays normal, but the video is in super slow motion. The sound will stop and the video will keep playing, very slow.

I have the computer to handle this. AMD Athlon X2 64 (2.2 GHz), 2 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD3450 w/ 512MB memory, Vista 64-bit.

Now before anyone cries foul on Vista 64-bit, I have tried this on my new laptop with Vista 32-bit, and I get the same results. I tried removing PowerDirector and reinstall with no improvement.

Is this normal, or is there something I can do?

BTW, I have tried AVI and MPG files and they are just fine. Before sending this message I tried smaller .mov files from my camera and they seem fine. The files from my videocamera are 1280 x 720, 60fps.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
Hi William,
I run XP MCE SP3 on an Athlone X2 64 2.4GHz 3Gb RAM and am still on PD6 and using .MP4 1280x720p from a Sanyo VPC HD1000 although I can go to 1920x1080 60fps.

For what its worth, I often have problems with .mov files in anything other than QT and even more so at 60fps. I now record mainly at 30fps. Even at this, my preview often falters and jerks when I have a more complex video project with titles,transition, colour correction etc. Occaisionally I resort to producing a project (as a tempeorary measure) to check if it works.

On more than one occaision I have reinstalled PD6 because it failed to import any .mov files into the library. After reinstall things work OK.

I haven't really been able to spend the time to figure out any more details, instead I end up going for the pragmatic workaround approach.
Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Thank you for the feedback, Adrian.

I am hoping some others are having this problem, and maybe someone has found a fix. Or in the least, this can be fixed in a patch or next release (if it is a bug).

Bill
[Post New]
It seems the problem is with .mov files. I first tried to convert my 60fps files down to 30fps using Super. I still had problems editing as playback was jumpy. I had to produce the movie to see what I had.

I then converted the 30fps .mov files to avi files and the problem is gone, even though the file size is almost the same.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I think this issue needs to be looked at a bit closer and have the files you've got checked out by RD at CyberLink.

I've sent you a PM.

Dafydd
JON [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2007 01:04 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
What I do with mov files is create a project, add all mov files to the frames and produce as MPG 2. Then I use the MPG 2 file in my main project for editing. Works great.