Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DTV Capture
keefy [Avatar]
Member Location: Isle of Wight Joined: Aug 19, 2008 09:20 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
I am having problem capturing the DTV signal from my Freecom USB TV stick. Is anyone else having the same problem?

1. I connect my DTV USB stick, before opening PD7, Then I go to Capture. Not only is the DTV icon highlighted, but both the PC Microphone and the DVD/AVCH camcorder are also highlighted. (I would have expected these icons only to be highlighted when inputs are identified. Both have peculiarities, but I shall keep to the point).

2. I select DTV and the TV picture appears in the frame looking very good.

3. I click on the red record button, and after a flicker, let it record for a few minutes. When I stop it recording, I'm invited to give the file a name "Capture" and save it to my destination folder.

4. I get a warning that "An error occurred when opening this media file in the Media Library". I "OK" it. (nothing appears in the Media library).

5. Next, I check my destination folder and find two new files, "Capture" (opens player but will not play mpg), and "Capture_1" (opens player and DOES play the mpg TV excerpt pefectly.)

Afterthought: I know I can then import it back into the editing screen, but that's not the point. Also, if I wish, I could record the DTV stick into Total Media 3. Recording from a webcam works fine.

Any ideas?

After years of really struggling with Pinnacle's Studio, throughout many versions, PD7 is like a breath of fresh air. Let's all hope the bugs are quickly resolved as I'm sure they've got a winner on their hands!

Monica Wu [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2008 22:33 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Keith,
Do you mean you can import the clips into the media room at the edit page successfully?

Maybe you can contact with custim support department.
I think it's more useful if you can provide the record clips to CS depart.
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Monica

Of two files produced when I try to record my USB DTV, neither will show in the "Capture" media files library, although both appear in my destination folder. However, when I choose the Edit page, I can import the "Capture_1" successfully and it responds to editing correctly.

For ref. if I record a TV clip of a few seconds, the mpg file produced called "Capture" is 4MB, and the other one "Capture_1" is 11.4MB.

My instinct says that the "Capture" file created is an attempt to save something from the Mic. or DVD disc input that is void.
I am still curious to know if this is a general problem, or is it me?

Thanks
Monica Wu [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2008 22:33 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Keith,
It seems it's a special case.It works fine at my DTV device.
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for advising me that my problem was unique to me. It actually helped me to focus on a solution.

Cyberlink did try to help, givng me a comprehensive reply which included reinstallation etc. The solution, which I discovered for myself, was far simpler.

Previously, I had connected my Freecom DTV USB stick AFTER I had opened PD7. This resulted in me "Capturing" a file that would not appear in the Media Library.
The answer was to connect the stick BEFORE opening the PD7. The capture file now appears in the Media Library as it should.

I hope this result helps someone who may have experienced the same problem.

Thanks
Keith