Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Basics of editing. MPEG2 vs AVI
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm new to video editing. I recently purchased PD7 Ultra. My question involves which video format to edit on. I currently have an analog video camera where I capture the video through S-video and the sound through my PC Mic. I can capture the video as a large AVI file or I can capture it in MPEG2 format. My computer is a Core2Duo E7200 with 500 Gb HD and 4 GB of RAM so computer power is not an issue.

Here's my question. If I want to ultimately burn my video on a DVD should I capture the file in MPEG2 format initially or capture as a large AVI file and then render it in MPEG2 format at the end? If I edit on the captured MPEG2 file will I lose quality during the editing/rerendering process?

Is it ok to render small clips of video (MPEG2) of a larger project and then put each small piece together at the end to make the final project?

Finally, whenever I drag a captured video into the timeline I always get a compatibility warning. PD says that it can convert the file, but that might cause loss of quality. I check the preferences and it seems that everything is alright. The video was captured in NTSC and that's what I have PD setup for. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Jim Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Capture as AVI (uncompressed ) and edit.Burn as MPEG for smaller file size but lose some quality. PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Monica Wu [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2008 22:33 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Dear James,
About the compatibility warning,you can click the right button and select the "properties" to check if something is wrong.
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
You can leave your files as avi, and use "create disc" right from the timeline. Mpeg is easier on your system, and the loss of quality may not be noticed, but whatever files are in the TL will be burned, whether they be avi, mpeg, wmv, etc. Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!