Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 7 Ultra crashes during AVCHD disc creation
Kai Toedter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 05, 2008 06:49 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

After updating PD7 Ultra to version 1915, I cannot create AVCHD DVDs anymore. It worked with my original version, but with no SVRT support for AVCHD, which is really a killer feature for me.

Here is how I can reproduce the crash. I tested it on both Windows Vista 64 and 32:

1) Create a new movie with aspect ratio 16:9
2) Imported a clip from a Canon HF100 (AVCHD, 1920x1080, Dolby Digital)
3) Trim the clip
4) I can produce a AVCHD file (m2ts, 1920x1080) using SVRT3 without any problems, the clip is rendered very fast, the quality is great
5) But when I want to create a AVCHD DVD (only creating the files, not actually burning, with or without menu), PD7 crashes after writing the file BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts
6) I can reproduce this crash with any AVCHD clip from my Canon HF100. Other SD clips, where SVRT3 does not apply, work fine.

Is this a known bug?
Is there any workaround known?
If this is a known bug, is a new update planned that addresses this bug?

Currently I am on vacation, but next week I could provide a test clip from my HF100 so the bug could be easily reproduced.

Thanks a lot.

Kai

LarrySH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 27, 2008 18:11 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Kai!

I'm anxious to get a version of PD 7 Ultra which allows me to use my HF100 with smart rendering, since it is currently extremely slow, even on my quadcore Extreme QX9650 workstation. How did you get the version number you are using to SmartRender. Have you been able to find a method to work around the crash yet?

Thanks very much,

Larry
LarrySH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 27, 2008 18:11 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Guess I should have not been so anxious to get the new build. I installed it, hoping that maybe PowerDirector 7 might become a usable product, since I have been unable to use it due to extreme slowness for AVCHD.

I installed the new patch for Build 1915, and now I have a program which absolutely crashes / hangs every time I attempt to go to the Create Disk tab. Thankfully the Task Manager lets me quit the program without rebooting.

I went to the Vista control panel for adding and rfemoving software, hoping the patch was removable. Of course it isn't....

Rather than go back and re-install the prior build which was too slow to be considered a real program, I guess I now need to wait for yet another release to see if the superb software developers have figured out how to fix something without breaking other things......

Thankfully I have Nero Vision, Ulead Video Studio 11.5, Sony Vegas 8 Pro, and Ulead Movie Factory 6, all of which make super fast and very good AVCHD disks with smart rendering and run swiftly on this ultrafast Intel Extreme QX9650 quadcore. PD7 only does one thing very quickly, and that is crash.....
Steven [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2008 09:48 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kai,

I had a similar problem with AVCHD 1440x1080. Here is what I did & it worked for me.

I recommend you download your files first to your HD (if you have not done so already).

Set up your time line & Chapters ...etc then go to burn. Select the output (1920 x 1080 for you) , "Bluray with menu" & MPEG4AVC or AVCHD. Select your menu. Click burn and UN-check "burn disk" but check Burn "BURN FOLDER" instead. When it is done, close PD7 ULTRA and use a 3rd party software (like the one that came with your burner or other) to burn the folders created on to a BLU-RAY rewritable or DVD DL+R or regular DVD-R.

If it is still crashing I would delete the temp folders created by your previous burn and try again. This I found was important if you had a crash and did not purge the temp files & folders. Also I recommend you reboot your PC after a crash.

The temp folders & files you should delete are:

1) "Audio.tmp"
2) "PP_HDMV.TMP"
3) "PP_MOTION.TMP"
4) "ShadowEditFiles"

These are found usually in the "My documents folder" and usually are erased when you close PD7 ULTRA unless it crashes.

Also I would delete any files found in your temp folder (it is usually a hidden folder unless you have set your folder preferences in windows explorer to be able to see it). You can also bring it up if you do the following: Click the "START" button => "RUN" => type: %temp% => "ENTER". You will bring up the temp folder and you can usually delete all files in it without harming anything.

After you have deleted the unwanted files from the previous crash, try outputting your project to file & then burning it like I told you above.

Anyway, hope it works for you (it did for me) but I make no guarantees.

Regards,

Steve
Kai Toedter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: How did you get the version number you are using to SmartRender. Have you been able to find a method to work around the crash yet?
Larry

When producing a movie, the Logo SVRT3 is shown. No, did not find a workaround yet.

Best regards,

Kai
Kai Toedter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Anyway, hope it works for you (it did for me) but I make no guarantees.

Thanks Steve, I tried all you recommended but PD7 still crashes.

Windows Vista's error log says:
Faulting application PDR.exe, version 7.0.0.1915, time stamp 0x487ca5e2, faulting module CLAVCVs2.dll, version 1.9.1.1727, time stamp 0x483bc8e3, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000520ca, process id 0x10a0, application start time 0x01c8fbfe815e6050.

So I guess it it something with the CLAVCVs2.dll in the "Encoder Pack Full"

Best regards,

Kai
Steven [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2008 09:48 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again Kai,

Have you tried running PD7 ULTRA in "compatibility mode" to make VISTA run PD7 ULTRA it as if it was running under windows XP SP2?

If that doesnt work then I don't know, sorry.

Regards,

Steve
Kai Toedter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi again Kai,
Have you tried running PD7 ULTRA in "compatibility mode" to make VISTA run PD7 ULTRA it as if it was running under windows XP SP2?

Yes, I have tried, but PD7 crashes also in XP SP2 compatibility mode.

Best regards,

Kai
bob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2008 18:11 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have exactly the same issue with files from hf100. I opened call with the support and so far their suggestions haven't worked. I'm on XP Pro.
I like that SVRT works for file creation in 1915 verison but I would love to have an option to put AVCHD DVD on harddrive and use powerDVD to play it with menus and chapters in original quality.
What other product can create AVCHD DVD without pic quality loss?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 12. 2008 13:35