Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
From HD to DVD Quality
Evan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2008 19:04 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought PD7 (build 1829, clean install, etc) and among other things I am going to use it to archive/edit some TiVo HD shows for future playback. The mechanics of this work great and I'm outputting DVD HQ files/discs, which is fine for my purposes.

However, I'd like to know if anyone else is doing the same thing and, regardless, is noticing that there is tiny/rapid vertical shaking of the resulting video during playback? It ultimately makes the picture, especially still portions, unstable. Noticeable from all playback software (WMP, PowerDVD, etc) and actual DVD player.

I think it's related to the conversion from HD to DVD or interpretation of the HD material itself (field order?); I pasted in the source video properties below... which don't match what PD7 "thinks" SVRT HD video should be and I don't know if that matters.

At any rate I've tried about 3 other software packages that produce VOBs, Mpegs or burn to disc and the outputs were fine, rock steady picture. I've also tried a few different source video files.

I just noticed that build 1915 was released. I tested; same results.

Here are 2 sets of properties for the same source video file. Not sure if it matters that they don't agree on bitrate.

CyberLink:
  • Type: MPEG-2

• Bitrate: 10.02 Mbps

• Resolution: 1920x1080

• Frame rate: 29.97 fps

• VideoReDo:
  • Encoding: MPEG 2

• Bit Rate: 25.000 Mbps

• Encoding Dimensions: 1920 x 1080

• Frame Rate: 29.97 FPS

• vn800rider
    Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi Evan,
    This may not help since I am still with PD6, nor am I a techie in these matters. Your video source data would seem to indicate that the source file is NTSC format 60 Hz interlaced giving the 29.97fps. I have had similar (but not the same) issues using 1920x1080i video clips from the camera and have put it down to the interlacing bit and have had to use intermediary steps/software to get acceptable results - for example to reverse HD clips.
    What is the format for your DVD HQ file and have you tried customising the profile to see if that makes any difference? In PD6 you can alter the bitrate and the smoothing, quality and speed etc this way. Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
    Confucius
    AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
    Christophe [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: May 20, 2008 06:47 Messages: 2 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: Hi Evan,
    This may not help since I am still with PD6, nor am I a techie in these matters. Your video source data would seem to indicate that the source file is NTSC format 60 Hz interlaced giving the 29.97fps. I have had similar (but not the same) issues using 1920x1080i video clips

Hi,

i have the same problem with PD7 and my Sony HDR-Tg3. It records 1080i/50. Pictures AVCHD or DVD are shaky. Thing is i ONLY get this with Cyberlink PD7 or Powerproducer. With Pinnacle Studio (which cant keep the 5.1 Sound) or the Sony Tool I have a solid video...
    I can see this problem even in the preview window, when theres movement in the video its like you see things double, like your drunk...

You can dl a sample here: http://www.zwecker.de/downloads/jerome.m2ts
    and here: http://www.zwecker.de/downloads/jerome-ferry.m2ts

What can I do ?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 23. 2008 19:35

Evan [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    In PD7 when burning a DVD I can pick only DVD HQ, SP, LP, or "smart" -- other than that I cannot really fine tune.

The HQ setting is Quality level 6 (of 7), vbit-rate 4000-8300Kbps, and video compression data bitrate 8000Kbps.

I can however fool with these settings when "producing" an actual mpeg file and turning up the bit rates just makes the shaking a bit clearer.

To make this really odd, I sometimes see slight jerkiness in preview mode which carries over to the output -- whether DVD quality or real HD quality. It seems to be more prevalent if the clip is trimmed (even just once at beginning). And when this happens I see that some of the vertical oscillating in the output goes away (!) but as I said the jerkiness carries over to the output as part of the video.

I also tried separating the audio from my 30 second clip and deleting it, but that did not help. Something is going on. For fun I updated DirectX but that didn't help or hurt.

Again, I've only noticed this when the source file is HD.

Like you, other software trials that I experimented with (VideoReDo, Aimersoft, Ulead/Corel) did not exhibit this issue in playback and production. Their output was solid.

I mainly didn't go with Ulead because my testing revealed really bad crashing that others were experiencing and I hate their DVD menu operation... on the other hand it gave you free rain over DVD output parameters and the resulting video was extremely nice when converting from HD.
    Evan [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Quote: Is anyone noticing that there is tiny/rapid vertical shaking of the resulting [DVD] video during playback? It ultimately makes the picture, especially still portions, unstable.

One week since purchasing and still no joy. At this point I've reinstalled clean, directx update, found a kbhotfix for Vista/Dual-Core, tried downgrade and upgrade video driver, tried internal vs. external storage.

It comes down to, in my mind, the actual source HD material is not being interpreted or converted as well as what the other products can do, that I decided against not buying. Of all the things that could could have gone wrong this one is "good".

Someone sent me some AVCHD source video and I was able to produce or burn that to DVD (not high-def) format without issue.

Later tonight (EST) I'll upload a snippet of my HD source video as well as the resulting DVD/MPEG2 conversion if anyone is curious.

Coming close to cut & run time.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 25. 2008 09:01