Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirect 6, latest build, preview problem
Donald [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 07, 2008 10:40 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all.

I have been to Cyberlink's support site and sent this issue to them but so far they have not been able to help. I don't think it's a PowerDirector issue, but something with my computer. But perhaps one of you can help.

When I click on a video that's in my storyboard and then play it by pressing the "play" arrow, it plays perfectly. But when I drag it down to the timeline, it plays very jerky and slowly and sometimes stops altogether and then starts playing again and so on and so on. When it reaches a transition, like a fade, it just stops, and in a few seconds it totally skips over the transition and jumps to the next clip. It makes it impossible to accurately edit when there is no continuity between clips and it jumps and jerks all the time.

Has anyone had this issue, and did you solve it? My computer is a 2.2 ghz Gateway with 2 gig of ram and a Radeon X700 Pro graphics card with 256 meg of memory. It should be able to play video with no problem, and it does in all other cases except this one.

Cyberlink's support had me uninstall it, download the latest version and reinstall it, but nothing has helped. I'm about ready to toss the software.

There is a video that I made showing this problem at:

http://home.tbbs.net/~dgeorge/produce.wmv
Donald

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 22. 2008 15:19

Take away our handguns
Then only the criminals will have them!
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Donald, watched your video. I have had some issues with music stopping (usually at the end of the video I'm putting together) have had issues with the transitions at times too. In my experience a lot of it has/had to do with the video I was using.

Have you tried a test with the mpg acquarium that PD gives you, or perhaps some wmv. NOW this is totally my speculation based on the different videos etc. There are some video's that I have used that are very difficult to edit with, I have done it but half the time I have to produce them to see if they worked. OR in one instance run every clip through PD (since that's not how they were produced) to even use them.

SO making a long story even longer. I understand this is totally frustrating, but I would say try using different videos etc to see if it still does the same thing.

I don't know if the video you are using actually was produced by PD already, if not, run a couple of the clips through and just see if its any smoother?

Just some thoughts, based on my experience only.

Let me know how it goes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 22. 2008 21:37

Donald [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 07, 2008 10:40 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply. Some additional information.

The video files I'm using came from my evero HD camcorder. The are saved on my hard drive as .TOD files. When I bring them into PD, PD asks me if I want to convert them to Mpeg2 files and I click yes. I would think that PD knows what it needs to do in order to play these videos.

Secondly, As a test I installed PD6 on my laptop, which I assume doesn't have a high end graphics card like my desktop does. Using the same procedure and technique, I created a project with lots of videos and transitions and music and PIP's and it runs perfectly in preview with absolutely no problems.

So I know my problem is with my Desktop's configuration, I just don't know what to change or upgrade.

I hope this gives you a better picture of my issue.

Don Take away our handguns
Then only the criminals will have them!
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Well doing that test, certainly gives you a better idea about the issues. One thing that you might want to try is to see if you can convert the files before you pull into PD. (not that this makes a huge difference) We have a JVC everio(harddrive) not sure if this is the same, our files are .MOD though and all we have to do is pull them off and change the extension from .MOD to .AVI and they work (just an FYI)

I'm not really a computer geek as much as I need to be to help you with the configuration. What I would do is probably go through the different settings between my laptop and desktop. I know too that there are others on this forum that are far more up on that. So I will have to leave it to them. Perhaps they can get you to do a diagnostic on both and that will point them in the right direction.

Nice to know, though, that you have a machine that does work for you until you get this straightened out.

Looking forward to hearing what the issue was. Good Luck.
Donald [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 01, 2008 10:08 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Looking forward to hearing what the issue was. Good Luck.

I'm still looking forward to hearing what the issue was too! No replies so far.

Don