Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Setting Chapters
Arturo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 01:24 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I am getting really frustrated trying to set chapters for my project and I need help please. I have been trying to do this the whole day without any luck. When I click on the Chapter Room, Chapter 1 is automatically added to the very 1st clip of my project and the Delete Chapter position is grayed out so it can not be deleted.

How does one set Chapter 1 to other than the very first clip of the project. The manual says chapters can be set manually by selecting the clip on the timeline so I'm assuming the very first clip of the project does not necessarily have to be Chapter 1.

I recently switched to Power Director from Pinnacle Studio and Pinnacle Studio allows manual setting of chapters and not having the first clip of the project Chapter 1 so I'm assuming this is also possible with Power Director.

Anyone knows how to do this. I would appreciate your help. Thanks very much.

Arturo
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Auturo,

The position of the first chapter is set by default to the beginning of the project you are currently creating, and can't be moved/removed.

Maybe we can make a suggestion to RD to change this in the future to be more flexible.

Thanks

David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 09. 2008 05:41

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Arturo,

Along with what David wrote, take a couple of seconds and see if a workaround is possible.

1. PD7 offers a "First play" video when selecting to make a DVD.
2. How about duplicating a clip and placing that as your first clip in the time-line. It's easy to move clips around and duplicate them "Copy and Paste"

Would any of these two offer you a solution?

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 09. 2008 06:13

Arturo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I am hoping Cyberlink addresses this issue as I am sure other people who use the software would want the flexibility to start their chapter on another clip other that the very first clip.
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Arturo,

I sent your concerns onto RD, and they are discussing it. No one has ever asked for it before. Good suggestion.

Please keep them coming.

Thanks

David
CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Arturo,

RD has some further detailed questions about how you use the chapter feature. I hope you can help and answer our questions.

What you are doing is creating a video/movie, and then adding chapters so that it can be used when burn to a disc to easily access scenes. Is this corrent?

So...what you would like to do is not have the first chapter set at the very front of your video/movie. Can I ask what the content is at the beginning? How do you want your users to view this beginning content when the disc or video is played back? Why don't you want it to be a chapter?

We are just trying to understand the use and find it extremely helpful to get this kind of feedback from users.

Let me know if you can help

Thanks

David
Arturo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi David,

I do want the very beginning content viewed when the movie is played. I think I may have asked the wrong question.

What prompted my question about setting Chapter 1 to other than the first clip is when I used the pre-designed menus, the cut-out boxes automatically plays the first clip or Chapter 1. I could not find any way to change the image to another clip other that what is in Chapter 1. And that should have been the question I asked.

I was doing a project for a family member who is turning 90 and we will have a big family gathering for that occasion. I wanted a little bit of humour so my very first clip is the film classification just as what we would see if we were watching a commercial movie. And the clip says it is a restricted movie, etc. I naturally did not want this very first clip appearing on the cut-out boxes of the menus. What I wanted was a video/static image clip of the person.

What I ended up doing is designing a menu without any cut out boxes for the main menu using the Menu Designer so that very first clip in my project is not showing up in the main menu.

On the other hand, in the scenario that I described, I would really rather not have that film classification clip show up as a chapter, although I still want it played at the very beginning, so it still would be useful to be able to not include that very first clip as a chapter and have the next clip be the first chapter instead. I know PD7 has a "First Play" option but I understand from reading the manual that this is the very first clip that plays before the menu is displayed. In my scenario, I wanted the clip to be played at the very beginning of the movie and not before the menu.

While I'm at it, I'd like to bring up the following issues:

I find downloading from Cyberlink takes a very, very long time. I have high speed Internet connection and it is only when I download from Cyberlink that it is more like snail pace. Last night I downloaded the latest build for PD7 Ultra. I had to do it three times because I could not connect to the server at first, and then just before the download ended, my connection to the server was lost. Finally the third time I was able to download and it took more than 2 hours. The whole process took me about 6 hours to complete. Granted the file is 620MB but normally that download would not even take half an hour.

Another issue I found using the software concerns video/audio sync. When a new video is added, the audio plays quite ahead of the video. I ultimately found out through trial and error that the way to correct this is to split the audio from the video. But then again the sync problems show up again when other clips are added or edited so it's back to square one. I made sure the duration of the video and audio clips were exactly the same but the sync problem did not go away. I had a heck of a time with this sync problem and wasted a lot of time as I had to do the project over and over again. The only way I got around to it is by producing separate mpg files of those problematic video clips and dropping them back into the project.

Also re the pre-designed menu/chapters, is there a way to include a static image on the boxes on the menu page and on the chapter page/s on the boxes below the chapter numbers rather than a moving video. In my project, I noted that the video displayed in the boxes on the menu page and below the chapter numbers on the chapter page/s started from the point where I set my thumbnail image for the chapter. The problem I've come across is the menu/chapter pages plays for say 15 secs. and sometimes, my chapter is shorter than 15 secs so the video jumps to the next clip and the video displayed does not necessarily relate to the chapter.

Finally, is there no auto notification about updates if there is a new build when PD7 is opened? I only found out about the latest build from the forum. Even the support site does not show the latest build and then you have to e-mail Customer Service to get the build. Why would the latest build not be posted and why would registered users have to send an e-mail to get the latest update?

Whew, I think that will more than do it for now. Before ending, I'd like to say that I also have something positive to say about the software. As I mentioned I recently switched to PD7 after being a faithful Pinnacle Studio user over the years and so far, despite all the frustration and a lot of wasted time, I think as it stands right now, PD7 has more to offer than Studio. The most important improvement over Studio as far as I am concerned is the shortened rendering time. I hope PD will keep improving especially in the rendering time area.

Thanks.

Arturo

CLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Arturo,

I apologize for the delay, I was on vacation

1. From what I read about your refined description, I gathered this:

Chapter 1 = Clip 1 = Contains a restricted moving warning
Chapter 2 = Clip 2 = The beginning of the video.

When you say "cut out boxes" I am assuming you are referring to the chapter thumbnals.

In this scenario I would just combine clip 1 and 2 into one chapter, and then set the chapter thumbnail as the person you were referring to. The chapter markers can be manually moved/extended on the time line, they don't all have to be associated to a specific clip.

Hope that answered your question for next time.

2. Download issue. I will pass this concern on to the appropriate department.

3. You should do some searches on the forum regarding the video/audio sync. It may be due to the configuration of your computer with PDR, as it does not happen on machines I have tested. Maybe Dafydd can help point you to some related threads

4. If you go into the Create Disc Preferences (the button with the wrench on it in the Create Disc window) and then click on the Menu tab. Deselect the "enable video thumbnail" to show static images for the chapter thumbnails, rather than the video you described.

5. There should be a notification when a new update is available. I will pass on this concern too.

Hope this helped
Thanks

David
Arturo [Avatar]
[Post New]
No problem David. I hope you had a good time on your vacation.

Yes, I was referring to the main menu/chapter thumbnails. I have been experimenting some more and have found answers or workaround to some of my questions and your reply has certainly been very helpful as well.

I've also learned that when using the pre-designed menus, I am not confined to having the first clip (Chapter 1) displayed because I can simply choose and use any part of the project as the image/video playing in those cut out boxes (main menu and chapter thumbnails). And yes, I've found that "Enable video thumbnail" selection before and what I should have done is deselected it so that a static image would have been shown on the main menu/chapter thumbnails and would have prevented unrelated chapters from playing.

I would appreciate it very much if you can chase the other two questions concerning download speeds because it really is excruciatingly slow (and I'm not the only one experiencing it as you can read in the forum threads) and the auto notification. I have it enabled but nothing pops up.

The other big issue is the video/audio sync. Dafydd and I have been communicating on this issue, and again, I'm not the only one experiencing this problem as you'll find in the forum threads. I have sent Dafydd files of a sample project to show the sync issue and he is following this up with the Tech people.

Thanks again.

Arturo

Peter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 01, 2008 12:37 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David
I am in the same boat as you are, an ex Pinnacle 12 user after having read Jan Ozer review I descided to swap over to Power Director 7.
Since using it I found the integration between M2ts Sony files so smooth it is not funny, however I have come across the same issue with chapter generation, as we are used to a very flexible chapter setting from within Pinnacle.
What was you final work around, as, like you - I have a special avi intro to be palyed when the DVD starts, then I would expect the main menu to appear and then choices of chapters to be viewed are left up to the viewer.
cheers
Peter Huber
Arturo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Peter,

Based on the content of your post, I think you are addressing it to me and not David so I will take the liberty of responding.

What you need to do is use first play when you create your disc. This is the manual’s description of first play: “First play is the clip that is the initial sequence that plays before the menu page appears as soon as a disc is played. Navigation buttons are not available during the first play and viewers cannot past forward past the first play. In the commercial movies, this consists of the copyright notice or warning.” So that is the perfect tool for you for that special avi video intro.

In my project, I ended up not using a first play as I didn’t need to after all. But before answering your question, I went through the motion and created a sample project with a first play video just to make sure I know what I’m talking about. And here’s how I did it. Create a first play video or still image. In your case, you wanted a special avi video intro. Create your project and do all your edits, PIP, titles, transitions, music, etc. and set your chapters. Do not include your video intro in the project timeline unless you want it as part of a chapter content of the movie you are creating. When you get to the final step or the disc creation mode, underneath the preview screen, you’ll see the options for adding/removing background music for the main menu and chapters menu and for the first play video. Click “Add first play video” and navigate to where you have your avi intro stored. Click the preview button and if everything is just as you’d like it, then proceed to burn your DVD or Blu-ray disc.

Hope this helps.

Arturo
Peter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Arturo
Yes may message was suposed to be addressed to you, sorry about that, first timer you know.
I did think that "Play first Video" was the correct procedure, so I gave it ago, but PD syas that it " This Mdeia Type is not supprted" despite the fact that it is an .avi and has been used in Pinnacle. So I promptly sent of an email to the gurus at PD - here is a copy of that:-

I wish to place a video which is an Avi file created in Ulead Cool 3d in
the Create Disc section as First Play Video - however when trying to open
this video clip it comes up with "This Media Type is not supported" it worked fine In Pinnacle 12 when I placed it on the video track - why not in PD V7 these are the specs:-
Microsoft AVI files
32 Bits, 720 x 576, 1:1, 25 fps
Frame-based
Uncompressed
Check data rate: 300 KB/sec
No Audio
THE ANSWER I got back was no better than the message created by PD how helpfull was that!
I was wondering what your thoughts are on that, could send you a copy to try if you wish, it is justa short intro - rotating globe of the world with Huber Productions circulating in oposite direction around the globe - just a sort of self boosting image as a home film maker - you know what I mean.
any way I am also having problems with imprting all my Samrt sound soft ware over to PD - did you have any issues on that ?
cheers
Peter Huber - from downunder
Peter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Arturo, once again
Just thought I would let you know, what has happened since my last message to you - not so long ago - had a brain wave as they say
Just as well I still have Pinnacle 12 on my Quadcore - so I placed the Ulead Cool 3d production nade Intro Video on the time line and bruned that short video, to a file, so now I can use it on PD - problem solved.
Still have issues with Smart sound though - may be you can help on this one - otherwise I will contact Smart sound direct.

One other issue I noticed on both programs Pinnacle (initially untill I rendered movie using Dolby digital 5.1 - then it was fine) and now on PD that the speech on the final DVD productions is not as clear as when played though the PC, more-so the speech coming from the person filming, who is closest to the inbuilt mike on the cancorder - by the way my Cam is a Sony AVCHD 100 gig inbuilt HD and spits out proprietary m2ts files.

The speech problem I am refering to is akin to when some one screams into a mike and it becomes distorted - I was wondering if that has something to do with Dolby 5.1 not being available on PD or a poor audio codec
cheers
Peter Huber
Arturo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello from Canada,

Glad to hear you found a workaround to the avi intro problem. There is an article on this site about AVI which may be helpful as apparently there are different types of AVI files: http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/dv-aviFiles.htm. And apparently there’s also Windows AVI and DV-AVI which are again two different things. Maybe the differences between the AVI files and also the frame rates has something to do with your problem? Just a guess.

I’d be happy to give anyone any ideas that I have that may be helpful but I should make it clear that I am only an amateur video hobbyist. I do this only to take videos and still pictures to preserve family history. I learn only as much I need to use the software that I have and turn to the Internet to read a little bit about some of the issues that I come across for any ideas that may help. In short, I have no technical video background or specialized video technical knowledge and when things get too technical, I back off. I do not want to offer any comments on anything that I am totally ignorant about. I wanted to point that out because I don’t want to give anyone the wrong impression. You have your own video production so I think you will have a lot more knowledge about video than I do.

I have never used Smart sound so I cannot comment on that.

We probably have the same Sony AVCHD camcorder. I also have the Sony AVCHD camcorder with the 100GB hard drive – Model HDR-SR8.

Regarding the distortion in the speech from the final DVD productions, I’m not sure what to say. I have done only one project since switching to PD7 Ultra in June and have mostly background music in it. I didn’t have any audio distortions. By the way, Dolby 5.1 is available on PD7. Your comment about poor audio codec may be valid. There are so many audio codecs and not everything is compatible with every software so that’s an avenue you may want to explore.

Dafydd, who moderates this forum, may have ideas about your problems. Why don’t you drop him a line. I find him to be very helpful and pleasant.

Sorry I cannot be of much help Peter.

Arturo
Peter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Arturo
I have two separate .pdl project ( all edited and with transitions in place) sitting in my libray and now I want to combine them int one new edited project on my time line. How to do that???
PD Customer Help - appears not to understand my questions

Peter Huber

PS by the way how do I get in touch with David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08. 2008 14:17

Arturo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Peter,

You can open only one project at a time so what you need to do is produce or render each project and then create a new project and drop those two rendered projects in the timeline.

To contact Dafydd and send him a private message, locate his post (the third post on the thread re this topic) and click on his profile and click pm. You need to be logged in to be able to do this. Or go to his website at www.SoftDeko.co.uk . Actually Dafydd is very good at answering queries posted on the forum so you can also just post a thread on the forum addressed to him and I’m sure you’ll get an answer. He moderates the forum.

Arturo