Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 8 Ultra Upgrade Doesn't Install
Damon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 25, 2008 15:50 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Purchased the upgrade from the OEM version that came with my Lite-On Blu-Ray player. Got the key and file downloaded no problem, but when I try to run the upgrade it uninstalls the previous version and then does nothing. Try to run the installer again and I get the message about a previous version needing to be installed. Am I doing something wrong or did I get screwed out of $90?
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Damon,

Have you contacted technical support yet? They are the only ones who can help you with your problem...sounds like something definitely went awry (minor understatement).

http://www.cyberlink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp

Thanks

Dave
Damon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, did that, just though maybe I was doing something wrong with the installation or a forum member might have an answer. Still waiting to hear back from support.
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Damon,

I have sent you a private message...please check.
Damon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Creeping up on 2 days since my purchase and still no closer to a solution. Have not heard back from CS since their request for information from my invoice over a day ago.
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Did you get the private message I sent you back with instructions to fix it?

Let me know
Damon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, that got it done. Thanks a heap!
Leonard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 09:23 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm running into the same problem. Purchase the upgrade and getting the same message, need previous version install. I have version 7 installed. Sent CS request form, nothing yet. Can anyone help.
Crunchy Doodle
Newbie Location: Southern California Joined: Jul 31, 2008 10:12 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem and sent a message to technical support for assistance. A day or two later I received a response with detailed instructions on how to fix it. I followed the instructions and it fixed the installation problem.

The fix was essentially a manual uninstall of the previous version of PowerDVD. This included using the Microsoft installation cleaner, several hacks to the registry and finally, deleting the old PowerDVD folder from Program Files. There were two or three reboots thrown in too. This fix is not for the faint of heart. One wrong mouse click and you could cause serious damage.

Bye.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 31. 2008 11:22

Leonard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 09:23 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
CS finally sent me a fix for this problem, It worked.
Anjuli [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2008 00:33 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the exact same problem, and have sent in a technical assistance report. This is highly frustrating, I've done everything from fully uninstalling the previous version, which causes the update program to fail because it cannot find a valid version to upgrade from, to re-installing PowerDVD 7, and each time, the installer asks me to uninstall the previous version. If I choose no, the installer exits without installing the new version, if I choose yes, it uninstalls PowerDVD 7, and again exits without installing, and returns the error that there is no version to upgrade from when trying to re-run the installation program.

Why isn't a fix posted, that explains in detail what one must do, it seems as though this is a very common problem (which should be fixed by CyberLink as soon as possible, it is very frustrating to spend 80+ dollars on a product and not be able to even install it), so shouldn't there be an FAQ item detailing the fix?

I'd appreciate anyone who could send me the detailed and proven fix to get my program installed and running.
Crunchy Doodle
Newbie Location: Southern California Joined: Jul 31, 2008 10:12 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
The reason they do not post this magical fix is that it contains both an unlocking code and a link to the full retail product that can use that unlocking code.

The fix is simple. You first perform a full manual uninstall. This consists of running the Microsoft Installer Cleaner (link included), and then delete a bunch of registry entries and folders in Program Files. You then download the full retail product using the supplied link and install with the supplied code. I think you can see this can't be publish generally; at least the code and the link to the full retail product.

Bye.

Quote: I am having the exact same problem, and have sent in a technical assistance report. This is highly frustrating, I've done everything from fully uninstalling the previous version, which causes the update program to fail because it cannot find a valid version to upgrade from, to re-installing PowerDVD 7, and each time, the installer asks me to uninstall the previous version. If I choose no, the installer exits without installing the new version, if I choose yes, it uninstalls PowerDVD 7, and again exits without installing, and returns the error that there is no version to upgrade from when trying to re-run the installation program.

Why isn't a fix posted, that explains in detail what one must do, it seems as though this is a very common problem (which should be fixed by CyberLink as soon as possible, it is very frustrating to spend 80+ dollars on a product and not be able to even install it), so shouldn't there be an FAQ item detailing the fix?

I'd appreciate anyone who could send me the detailed and proven fix to get my program installed and running.
birchleg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2011 14:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Any chance I can get the super secret sauce to fix the previous version problem. This is really annoying
birchleg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2011 14:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
And now, after dealing with support,(or as it's known in this company, anti-support, I half expect them to ask me to print out and mail the error message) I completely understand why so many people don't buy this product. Why pay for a product which has no support when you can just steal it. After all, if you steal it you don't expect support, which is exactly what you get when you buy it. I guess I could get it to work if I paid them another $30 bucks to talk to a human whose name is probably going to be Peggy in Kazakistan. What a joke!