Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What's A Guy To Do ?
Babbitt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 08, 2006 15:32 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Problems, problems, problems. Won't go into them all but the latest one is.... Just re-installed PD5 (for about the 8th time) Project is produced (rendered ?) and when I click on "Create Disc", I get some message like "Sorry, an error has been encountered and the program must shut down". The problem as I recall is with a PDR.exe file. Can someone walk me through a complete uninstall. I'm not very good with computer lingo. My limited knowledge is suggesting to me that I'm not getting everything off before I re-install. Here is what I got from a Cyberlink Tech:

Start--> Run--> Cyberlink PowerDirector --> Uninstall Power Director

next...

Start --> Run--> type "regedit"--> click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" --> "Software"--> click "Cyberlink"--> Delete folder "Power Director"

next...

Start--> Run--> type "regedit"--> click "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" --> click "Software"--> Delete the folder "Power Director (which I can't see)

Should I be taking this computer somewhere to have it looked at ?

DB
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi DB,
You should have got my PM to you as well.

This will be easy peasy and a bit of lemon squeasy to you later on when you get more experienced.

The intention here is to remove everything possible of a program and to then reinstall anew. In the process we remove any corrupted files and clear the decks.

Note: I can see from the instructions where you might be having problems and I will give you a slightly easier route to follow BUT it does the same thing... hopefully

Stage 1.
1. Look at the bottom left of your screen and click on "Start"
2. Select "Programs all" and find "CyberLink PowerDirector" and look for Uninstall - click on it.
2-1. Follow the Uninstall instructions as you go. Click No when asked to delete possibly shared files. The bold text was added about an hour after posting.
Okay that's the first part out of the way - you're not finished.
We're now going to remove all the fiddly bits that have been missed off and need to be removed.
Stage 2.
3. Click on "Start" again. Now there is a shortcut in the menu (bottom right) that's says "run" click on it.
4. A small window pops up. Type in "regedit" (without the "" ). Click OK.
We're now going into a section of Windows, a systems file and deleting specific data.
5. Look for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" --> "Software"--> click "Cyberlink"--> Delete folder "Power Director"
6. Repeat the tasks in 3 and 4 again.
7. click "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" --> "Software"--> click "Cyberlink"--> Delete folder "Power Director" (the instructions from CL missed off CyberLink)

Restart your computer.

Go to My Computer/Hard Drive/Program files/CyberLink and IF a PowerDirector folder is there, delete it.

Now reinstall PowerDirector.

Hope that's explained it a little clearer. There should be no need for you to take your computer anywhere... You can do this, it should take you just as long as it does to read the instructions... well perhaps as long as it took me to write the posting.

Dafydd

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 10. 2006 06:45