Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 11 Ultra Codecs stopped working
Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
The only other thing I can think of is, did you register your new e-mail in the Members Zone under Account Settings/ Change Password? HP Envy 17
Win10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i7 Core - 4510U @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
16GB ram
PowerDirector 11 Ultra 64-bit ver. 11.0.0.3625
Cyberlink Power2Go Deluxe 7.0.0.1827
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Have a look here too

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=12815&prodId=4 HP Envy 17
16GB ram
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]

A very good FAQ to link to Dave456.

Quote: I bought my PowerDirector 11 from Amazon.com, one of their approved resellers. I posted my trouble ticket response to their last reply over 24 hours ago. I included a copy of my Amazon.com invoice and a screen shot of the error as they requested. They have not yet replied.
I am really worried this will not turn out well for me. I also wonder about all the people who bought retail packages at OfficeDepot or Microcenter and lose their receipts. I understand CyberLink's desire to keep pirates from stealing their products, but to hide sub-component activation on purpose from paying customers is inexcusable.
I'll let you all know what happens.

Hi PDuser,
You've previously stated an error message appears - please attach a screenshot image of the error.
I have sent you a PM with some requests.

Quote: My software was not second hand, it was bought off ebay and was a download, activated at the time and I contacted suports at the time - now all of a sudden they want nothing to do with the software because I didn't get it from them.......... not a problem though as I upgraded to V12 the other day and I've pointed out that the question I asked related to the new version (purchased directly from Cyberlink) so lets see what answer they diribble out this time

Hi Les,
I have sent you a PM. Please "dig out" the information on your ebay supplier, name and the location of the download link (include the data in the PM please).

Dafydd
Forum Moderator

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 04. 2014 03:57

Les [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 15, 2013 05:27 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd but I've resolved it with support now. I was miffed that V11 simply stopped working and that support tell me it's a fake (because it's off ebay and not them) and there's nothing I can do about that as I bought it last October.

My main concern was that this software doesn't just stop in a few months time. Today I had this back from support

Thank you for writing back.

Its confirmed that your MPEG2/MPEG-4, H.264 file componentactivation has activated successfully.

If you come across any issue such as component activation, please contact us back we will take care of it. As you have purchased legimate product from our website.

We appreciate the valuable time you took in writing to us.

So I've kept a copy of that and will keep my fingers crossed
PDuser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2014 21:43 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the link, Dave. I read it before. It gives 3 possible reasons for getting the codec activation error:

It might be caused by one of the following:

1. Internet connection was disconnected or you are in an intranet, closed, or protected network that is blocking the activation request.
2. The serial number is invalid.
3. Reached its activation limit.

I don't think this is the problem in my case. I have high speed internet that's always on. The serial number is what amazon/cyberlink gave me. The software was installed once on the same computer I've been using for video and audio editing. It was activated once until it stopped working. Then I've tried to re-install it several times.

It's been 48 hours since I sent the purchase info and screen shot to support. I still haven't heard anything back.

Dafydd, I attached a screen shot of my error message. This one is for the H.264 codec, but the MPEG2 codec message looks exactly the same. I received your PM and will reply back shortly.

Thanks

[Thumb - PD11-ScreenShot.jpg]
 Filename
PD11-ScreenShot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
H.264 codec activation error message
 Filesize
160 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
214 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Les for the follow up.

A couple of years ago there was a rash of bogus sellers on Ebay. Looks like they've wandered back.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PDuser ,
Thank you for the PM data, I've sent a further request. I've passed all the information onto CyberLink.
Dafydd
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
I sent another query to support early this morning and they replied. They were actually very nice. Here's what they said:

In regards to your concern, I would like to inform you that the issue under the case ID CSxxxxxxxx has already been escalated to our R&D Team and they are still working on it. I will definitely get back to you with the updated information once I get any update from them.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Use the below mentioned link to get back for further queries:

https://<link>

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink products.

Thank You and Best Regards

CyberLink Technical Support

When I replied to their initial canned response asking for more information, there was confusion about my version number. So I changed the Trouble Ticket's subject line to clarify my version number and problem description. That apparently generated a new TT number. So now I have two. I take their response to mean that they are working on my issue under the new ticket number.

I'll post more when I hear anything new.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the post PDUser and you're right the issue has been "escalated"*.
Dafydd
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello PD 11 Forum,

On 2014/03/05 at 9:24 AM PDT I received a reply from CyberLink Support. Here is what it said:

Regarding your concern, the issue with your CD-Key is fixed. Please try to resuse your original CD-Key again and get back to us if you face any trouble.

I was busy all day so didn't have time to test it right away. Sorry for the delay. Anyway, my issue is indeed resolved. I didn't activate anything. All I did was start the software and it magically worked. My old projects loaded without complaints and all library media was there again. I was able to import VOB and MP4 files, just like old times. I got no messages requesting any sort of activation or registration. It just worked.

Because PD just started working I draw the following conclusions:

(1) PD 11 phones home to verify installation credentials of at least two codecs, H.264 & MPEG2 (I don't think the software itself reverted to a trial version but have no way of knowing for sure.)

(2) CyberLink seems to maintain an activation database from which my installation record was expunged. I was not told why. I can only guess the cause was: (a) my email address became invalid and they couldn't reach me or (b) I didn't use the software for a while, probably more than 3 months. Customer service apparently had to add my activation record back into the database.

My total cost in time of getting this software to work was a little over 4 days. I spent about 8 hours trying to figure out the problem before contacting support. It took support 3 days, 18 hours and 25 minutes from the time I sent my request to the time they resolved my issue.

I will contact support and tell them that my software works. I will also ask them if there is anything special I need to do to keep my software working. Do I need to write disks? (Personally I think disks are going the way of the dinosaurs.) Do I need to start it at least once per how many months. Do I need to maintain my email address active? I will post how they reply.

I really appreciate the users here who jumped in to try to help me. But overall, I have a lower opinion of PowerDirector than I had a while ago when I was raving to my friends about how great this video editing software was. I mentioned at the outset of this saga that I needed to quick bang out a small music video project. Well, I did it with a trial version of Corel's product. Video was posted on YouTube two days ago. I'm very happy my software is working again, but I'm not buying the upgrade just yet. I will most likely buy a competitor's product first and see how that goes.

Thanks again for all your help.
Dave456
[Post New]
Great outcome! Glad they took care of it for you.

Dave HP Envy 17
16GB ram
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, so I just got a reply to my 3 questions:

(1) Do I need to write disks?
(2) Do I need to use the software occasionally?
(3) Do I need to maintain my email address active?

They went out of their way to assure me that my software is good to go for the long haul and they are there for me anytime I need help. I guess I'm lucky because I bought my PD11 on Amazon. I must add, their English could use a little work, but the message is very satisfying. Without further ado, here is their reply so you can judge for yourself.

Dear <myname>,

Regarding your concern, I would like to inform you that, there is no need to worry, as you can use the software anytime as per your wish. There is no need to maintain E-mail address. Being a valuable customer of CyberLink, we are always happy to fix all the issues you face with the CyberLink software.

In case, if you face the similar or other issues with the product, you may get back to us, so that we can help assist you solve your concerns.

We are really happy to help you with all your issues as your satisfaction with our products and customer service is very important to us. Please note that the most convenient and quicker way to get assistance for your query is to contact CyberLink Technical Support.

You can use the below given CyberLink weblink to contact CyberLink Technical Support further to this issue or any new issue:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

<CTS agent name>
CyberLink Technical Support
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Amazon is one of Cyberlink's Regional Stores.

http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/regional-stores/enu/index.jsp

eBay is not.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
I noticed this same problem today - I can't produce MP4, I can play them ... do I need to contact support to fix the problem or do I just need to try the burning of a disk?

Just to be clear - I can not produce MP4 and save it on my computer ...I have not tried to burn a disk ....so is there a reason I can't create a mp4 file save on my computer?

I use the software a lot ...but it does seem to have random issues from time to time that defy logic

Running PD11 on windows 8.1
Purchased from PD11 direct from Cyberlink.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2014 22:15

PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Your problem is only similar. I couldn't even load MP4 files, much less play them.
[Post New]
ok...I think I got mine to work ...seems my temp files were causing a problem .... someone had suggest it in this thread ---it appears to have worked for me. Thanks