Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 11 Ultra Codecs stopped working
PDuser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2014 21:43 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Let me make sure I understand the consequence of what you are describing. If a customer doesn't use a particular feature of the software they bought and paid for, that feature expires and the customer will no longer have access to the expired feature. Is that right? Are you sure this is CyberLink's product model?

Are you hearing this, Les? Please post how CyberLink's support describes the feature/codec activation process. Forgive me if I'm a bit incredulous, Carl, but I've never heard of such a thing. Are there maybe other software features that you have to use to activate? To make sure the software remains fully functional, the customer would have to perform every taks the software is capable of. This is scary stuff that Carl is talking about.

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2014 19:54

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You'll not find any fans here of the codec activation situation.
It's the only NLE I ever used that did this.
Customer Support is the only route to salvation. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Les [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 15, 2013 05:27 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Les,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

Based on the attached invoice copy, I have noticed that you have purchased the software from eBay.

Please note that eBay and other second hand online market resellers are not CyberLink authorized software distributers. Therefore, we are not able to provide further assistance on this issue. Please contact the reseller directly for assistance or refund. You may also report your case to your second hand auction platform provider.

To ensure your rights are protected, we highly recommendthat you purchase CyberLink products from an authorized reseller:

- http://www.cyberlink.com/store/index_en_US.html?r=1

- http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/regional-stores/enu/index.jsp

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Thanks and Regards,

Sorokhaibam
CyberLink Technical Support
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
My software was not second hand, it was bought off ebay and was a download, activated at the time and I contacted suports at the time - now all of a sudden they want nothing to do with the software because I didn't get it from them.......... not a problem though as I upgraded to V12 the other day and I've pointed out that the question I asked related to the new version (purchased directly from Cyberlink) so lets see what answer they diribble out this time
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
I feel a youtube coming on explaining the problems with this software and it's licensing policies - unfair, restrictive and counter productive to doing your job.

It's also interesting that I paid with Paypal as they have a 45 day period where if anything goes wrong you can claim back the money.

Lets see what happens if this software stops working after 30 days this time
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
I bought my PowerDirector 11 from Amazon.com, one of their approved resellers. I posted my trouble ticket response to their last reply over 24 hours ago. I included a copy of my Amazon.com invoice and a screen shot of the error as they requested. They have not yet replied.

I am really worried this will not turn out well for me. I also wonder about all the people who bought retail packages at OfficeDepot or Microcenter and lose their receipts. I understand CyberLink's desire to keep pirates from stealing their products, but to hide sub-component activation on purpose from paying customers is inexcusable.

I'll let you all know what happens.
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
As per your registration history, I have found that you have installed and registered the PowerDirector 12 successfully.

When using the import/export feature of MPEG2/MPEG-4, H.264 file and burning DVD/AVCHD/Blu-ray Disc in CyberLink PowerDirector, these features require activation via an Internet connection the first time they are used. Which means you have already activated it successfully.

Not confirmation is required for component activation.
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've asked them to clarify that there's actually no evidence that the components are registered or not, no tick mark, no options entry, no onscreen confirmation of activation no nothing.

The question is though, what happens in 6 months time when it stops working (like my V11 did) and back we go on this merry go round as I have no evidence that everything is registered correctly and in time.

I've asked them to confirm that all the components are now active that came bundled with this software - awaiting reply
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, so that's different from what Carl was describing. Does that mean 12 is different from 11 in that regard? I used my codecs plenty to read all of my libraries. Most of my exports were to WMV formats. When my codecs stopped working, it was during library reads not exports. If the reads would have worked, I probably wouldn't have noticed anything.
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's pretty much just what Carl was saying. The problem with it is that there's no warning/confirmation screen or anything to say that activation is in progress or activation was successful - there's simply no way of knowing if all is registered or not.

I had problems importing MP4 files (video from the phone) as the h.264 codec was expired. Purchasing V12 solved this but I am looking for some form of confirmation that my software is indeed fully and I mean fully including all components and codecs registered, activated and will not simply cease to function some months down the way
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Right, we all thought we were buying a perpetual license. Now I'm thinking that wasn't the case.

Carl said you have to start burning a disk to do the activation. This is a big difference from just using the codec to import media.
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
Their reply does say 'and burning DVD/AVCHD/Blu-ray Disc in CyberLink'

but it doesn't address the issue of why they made it so complicated and is it register or not and therefor will it continue to function in the future or not.

PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
I see your point. When I first read their statement,
When using the import/export feature of MPEG2/MPEG-4, H.264 file and burning DVD/AVCHD/Blu-ray Disc in CyberLink PowerDirector, these features require activation via an Internet connection the first time they are used.
, I interpreted that to mean the very first time you use the feature. But when they use the word "and" in,
and burning DVD/AVCHD/Blu-ray Disc...
, they're kind of saying you have to do both.

I don't understand what they're thinking here.
Les [Avatar]
[Post New]
Make people like me buy a working upgrade I imagine!
Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Quick note on the subject, I have PD10 & PD11 installed and activation was only required once and both still work the way they are suppose to. There is not a time limit. Installed on 05/26/2012.

Dave HP Envy 17
Win10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i7 Core - 4510U @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
16GB ram
PowerDirector 11 Ultra 64-bit ver. 11.0.0.3625
Cyberlink Power2Go Deluxe 7.0.0.1827
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dave, have you recently worked with mp4 and vob files?
Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Yes I can still produce to both of those formats.
HP Envy 17
16GB ram
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
So I'm waiting for support to get back to me and wondering why mine stopped working.
Dave456
[Post New]
I hope they have an answer for you that works, I really don't know why it quit unless something else is stopping it. Any software changes?
HP Envy 17
16GB ram
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
PDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
None that I can remember. This computer is in my recording studio so I don't really run much variety of software on it. I might have upgraded the video card a while back but don't know if that was before or after installing PD11. The GPU is a CUDA-capable nVidia 9600GT. But because I'm running XP, I have to use CL graphic acceleration as opposed to hardware acceleration. But this computer always ran XP so that part hasn't changed.

The error messages I get complain about my mpeg & h.264 codecs needing activation. Everything else seems to work just fine. The only other thing that changed was that I haven't used the software for a few months. Plus I changed my registration email. If CyberLink has been sending me emails, they would have bounced. But I don't see why that should cause any problems.

So I spent a whole day trying to get PD11 to work. I uninstalled the entire package, Ultra, Essentials, Premium & WaveEditor. I even unistalled QuickTime because that probably got updated after the PD11 install. Then I reinstalled the whole thing, activated it with my key and registered it with my new email address. The software was activated but the two codecs that stopped working still don't work.

Do you have any ideas?
Dave456
[Post New]
The only other thing I can think of is, did you register your new e-mail in the Members Zone under Account Settings/ Change Password? HP Envy 17
16GB ram
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia