Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
H.264 AVC HD Rendering Problems after PD12 Crash ...
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 26, 2013 09:16 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
I was attempting to render a large video yesterday (H.264 AVC @ 60fps) and about half way through, PD12 crashed. Since the restart, PD12 will not render anything using H.264. If I try to produce in H.264, I get an immediate error dialog saying the render cannot be completed (with info about updating video driver and Windows Media Player). To my knowledge, nothing has changed on my computer and I've been successfully producing H.264 content since installing PD12 months ago. So, not sure this error dialog is accurate. I'm guessing the crash has corrupted some files. Has anyone experienced anything like this? What should I do? Appreciate any help.
Jimbo223 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 25, 2012 02:59 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Flush your system out, open the PD file, save it out using a new name and compact it if you can (collect everything together).

Then try again.

Is this for DVD or Blue Ray?
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This video will be played directly on the computer (currently use VLC but it could be any player that supports H.264). I do save my files to DVD or Blue-Ray for storage but not for playback through an external player.

I'll try your reset suggestion and see if that restores H.264 production. Is this some type of known bug that can happen after a crash? Just an YFI, I am running with the latest released update but PD12 still seems pretty buggy which is a little scary.

Thanks,
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
the problem you describe is not a know issue in PD. therefore it must be a bit more centered on what you are attempting to do.

Please look at the top section of this forum to see what it is that others on this forum need in order to be able to help you out. Win 10, i7
Jimbo223 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not that I'm aware of, I sometimes find that bad unexpected crashes can corrupt the file/script of the project so a fresh re-save sometimes works to pull everything back together.

I have a habit of making a temporary copy of a project files before actually working on them so I can always go back in the event of a disaster. I keep a few hanging about just in case something bad really happens. It's not just PD, this is a grown habit. I also save often.

When you say a bit buggy, can you decribe what you mean?

What's your hardware?
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
My machine is a Lenovo W530 (i7-3740QM/16G Ram/1TB HDD/Writable Blu-Ray/FHD (1920x1080) w/ Intel HD 4000 & Quattro 2000 video cards). Attached are the dxdiag files and a screen capture showing the error dialog I get when trying to produce this project in H.264.

Well, I just started working in PD12 again after a month hiatus. And the project that crashed yesterday was my first use upon return. The content of the video I'm working on has a mixture of video formats (GoPro HD, .avi, .mts) and image formats (.jpg, .png) and frame-rates (15-60fps) and is about 42 minutes long. When I started the rendering yesterday it reported a final size of 7.8G. Again, PD12 crashed at about the halfway point. From that point forward I've been unable to produce any H.264 output with this project file. I did produce several H.264 tests prior to the final rendering I did yesterday and did not see any problems during any of those. I can produce H.264 from other project files but get the attached dialog from this one. The only conclusion I can make is that the crash corrupted some aspects of this project file.

The other issue I ran into is that after the crash some of my video clips in this project appeared to not be editable. Someone in the forum suggested that may mean the video & audio had become unlinked. After looking at it more closely, I could see that visually the sound & video were separated but they couldn't be moved around independently like unlinked component usually can (they still moved as a group). I did manually unlink them and that gave the editing buttons back so the clips could be modified. But PD12 now won't allow the components to be re-linked (when selecting the set of objects, the link button remains grayed-out). So this is another bug that came up (seems like has something to do with the initial crash but who knows what caused that). These issues are the basis for my statement on the buggy nature. All of this has happened for me over the past couple days working on my first project in a month. And right now I have a corrupted project that I'm very reluctant to build-upon. I will re-create it from scratch before moving forward to be sure I can any corruptions removed.
 Filename
ChrisLyons_64DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
46 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
304 time(s)
[Thumb - ScreenHunter_102 Feb. 27 14.25.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenHunter_102 Feb. 27 14.25.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
123 time(s)
 Filename
ChrisLyons_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
378 time(s)
Jimbo223 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think you're on the right track. If a project file becomes corrupted, a clean save-as won't always bring it back to life (sometimes it does).

It could well be the best option to rebuild it if other projects seem ok. It's a good tip to make a copy of the file first before opening it for work.

Worse case scenario: run a malware check to make sure your machine is clean.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can also check for an Auto-Saved version. By default, PD saves a backup copy of each active project every 10 minutes. You can find the backup file location from the Settings (gear), Project window.

I always set mine to save to a separate drive every 2 minutes. This feature has saved me countless hours of frustration when anything goes wrong

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°