Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HELP ... Some Video clips NOT EDITABLE after PD12 crash !!
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 26, 2013 09:16 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
I'm working on a large HD video and PD12 just crashed. When I restarted and loaded my last saved copy of the video, some of the clips are now not editable. For some clips, when I select the in the timeline I only get a SPLIT option, not the normal set of tabs. Why is this happening? How can I edit these previous clips? Really need help, trying to get this video completed for a presentation tonight!!

A side-question, is there a maximum size for a video? What I have now (which is no where near complete) is being reported in PRODUCE as being around 3G.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If you are missing buttons, it is possibly due to the unintended unlinking of the audio from the video. Do your video clips appear detached from their audio? If so, right-click the clip and "officially" unlink them, it should solve THAT issue (actually it's workaround).
Also, are you using proxy/shadow files?
Last, are all your clips on your internal hard drive, or external USB? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you. Yes, the clips without buttons ARE now unattached from the video. Well, kinda. They show as separated (you can see a space between the audio & video clips) but PD is not allowing me to move them indendently (like the are still linked). Once I offically "unlink" them I get my buttons back and can edit the video. But, how can I re-link them together again? I try selecting both but the LINK option stays grayed-out. Is this some type of bug? Would a crash unlink the audio/video? All of these were "together" prior to the crash (I didn't unlink any of them earlier).

No, I'm not using shadow files.

All clips are on my internal drive.
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Another quick question, is there a way to test how large & long a render will be? I've been starting a PRODUCE and looking at the time-needed and size information to give me an idea and then canceling the render. How accurate are those numbers? Right now it is saying it's about a 1.5hr. render. The issue I have is that I am doing a presentation tonight with what I'm working on but need all the time I can use to get it completed. I'm nervous that I won't leave myself enough time to get the render completed on-time. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
SeaLyon99 - the quickest answers are that once the bug in PD12 has affected a clip, you cannot repair it. Unlinking the audio and video will let you edit either portion of the clip and do things like trim and add/remove or adjust effects. Unfortunately, they cannot be reintegrated by using the Join Audio and Video function, they just become grouped together.

If you don't change the length or speed of either the audio or video sections of a damaged clip, they will fortunately remain in sync. If you need to trim or change the speed, it's probably easier to delete the damaged clip and replace it rom the library before making those kinds of changes. Many people are eagerly awaiting a fix for this very frustrating problem.

As for rendering/producing speed, the timer is fairly accurate but it is often affected by the amount of work is currently occurring. For example, if your video starts off with no effects but ends with lots of fancy effects or corrections, the timer will show an unrealistically short produce time because it isn't fully aware of the workload ahead.

OTOH, if you start with a whole bunch of effects but most of the video is just what came out of the camera, the estimated time will be much longer than the time it will actually take and you'll see the remaining time drop by many seconds each second as the hard stuff is finished.

The estimated finished size, however, is fairly accurate and you can use that as a rough guide for how long the producing will take. In other words, if you choose one output format and the size is 3GB, trying another format or adjusting the final resolution may show a noticeable change in the output size. Generally speaking, but with plenty of exceptions AND greatly dependent on the input format AND your hardware, a significantly smaller output video size can take quite a bit less time to produce.

Unless you have a strict requirement for a specific format, frame rate and resolution, you may want to at least try a few other options and start the producing process to see how the output size and time remaining numbers compare. You can pause the process and open up the clip in your favorite viewer and look at the output quality (Note, if you're producing to AVI, it's better to use the "Produce Range" setting from the timeline because partial AVI files are difficult to play).

If the output looks acceptable, just hit Resume as you probably just found an optimal setting

Good luck!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Try the latest patch?
http://update.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/patch/PowerDirector/VDE131231-02/CyberLink_PowerDirector_Downloader.exe ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365