Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Newbie Masking Question
JakeSaxon01 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2014 06:53 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Just started using PD ver 12. I have 2 video sequences 20 seconds long. They are both the same (right to left pan of a woodland scene) except one is taken in summer and one in winter. I want to play the winter sequence and reveal the summer sequence running from right to left with a soft edged mask. Not sure how to achieve this. Any help much appreciated.
Jake
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jake -

The approach you take to this might involve masking - or not.

It depends whether you want:
(a) both scenes on screen at the same time, or
(b) one scene fading into the next.

The screenshots below are before/after rather than summer/winter, but the approach is just the same.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Scene_Compare.png]
 Filename
Scene_Compare.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1041 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
329 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2014 16:06

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JakeSaxon01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your reply. I've attached a file to show the sort of thing I'm after. The shot will pan from right to left and I want to reveal the underlying scene with a mask that moves from right to left (if you see what I mean) as the pan progresses.
Many thanks,
Jake
[Thumb - sequence.jpg]
 Filename
sequence.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Shot sequence
 Filesize
636 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
107 time(s)
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Tony,
Thanks for your reply. I've attached a file to show the sort of thing I'm after. The shot will pan from right to left and I want to reveal the underlying scene with a mask that moves from right to left (if you see what I mean) as the pan progresses.
Many thanks,
Jake

Hi JakeSaxon01 it's a lovely idea, I think that the sort of wipe you are after is more "organic" than the type provided with the normal set up. I have been playing around with something similar in PD12. Unfortunately my idea involves keying a moving wipe but the key tool is very basic ( maybe I;m just blaming my tools here ! )
There is always more than one way to create a wipe, so working on that principle I started using the Paint Designer tool to create a mask for a particular style of wipe. I had'nt used this tool before so it was a bit hit and miss! From what I've found out using the Paint Animation is that I couldn't get the video to play while using this tool ( might have been designed that way or it was me!) So I used a coloured background then using a different colour for the pen/crayon/pencil tool I just drew different marks until I filled the screen. It feels a bit cumbersome but it does work! The animation was too long but you can reduce the duration to suit. You then need to use the chroma key tool to create a wipe between the video tracks.

I've included the sample files from the 3 different stages

It's not perfect I know, but I decided that it did what I wanted! The video is about creating art work with pencils so the rough edges simulate a pencil sketching a line.
The "Paint Designer" has 6 different tools with a limit on adjustments BUT it may be something to try.

Good luck
 Filename
pencilwipe.video.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
chroma key first stage
 Filesize
12318 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
291 time(s)
 Filename
chroma key pencil wipe2.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
final wipe, keyed over 2 tracks
 Filesize
5068 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
345 time(s)
 Filename
pencilwipe.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
first pass pencil wipe
 Filesize
3005 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
335 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2014 13:14

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Ooops so sorry about the size of the video files hope they aren't too large for you!
Here is link to the effect http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/video/13323468

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2014 13:18

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Great stuff Kyle! Now - that's inventive!

Jake - maybe it's my age, but what I'm suggesting is much more basic.

If you use a Wipe Soft (Left) transition, set to *Overlap type, & set to a duration of about 20 seconds, you may get the effect you're after.

Here's an example - http://youtu.be/ZpkbBCs3-Ts

* A Cross type transition won't work with the pan because it freezes the motion.

Cheers - Tony

[Thumb - Scene Reveal.png]
 Filename
Scene Reveal.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
303 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
250 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2014 15:06

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JakeSaxon01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony and Kyle,

Thank you both for your contributions. Having used Photoshop for many years I'm aware that there is 'always more than one way to skin a cat'. However, as a newcomer to video editing it's a bit of an uphill climb at the moment.

Thanks again,
Jake
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Tony and Kyle,

Thank you both for your contributions. Having used Photoshop for many years I'm aware that there is 'always more than one way to skin a cat'. However, as a newcomer to video editing it's a bit of an uphill climb at the moment.

Thanks again,
Jake

Hi JakeSaxon01 Did you manage to find a dissolve/wipe that works for you?

As you've mentioned an Adobe product it is possible to make a mask using Photoshop then manipulate it back in PD 12. I only have the Elements version but it does all that I need !
I find that when working in this way I need to create an image the same size or even larger that the video frame (a larger size can give you more scope to move your mask !).
When you use Ctrl+N in Photoshop, you'll get the "blank file" option. Select that option.
Next, select the "preset button this will reveal a drop down menu with the preset sizes, you should have a "Film & video" preset. Select that option.
Next, select the"Size" button another drop down list will reveal video image sizes and you can select one of these to suit your format.
The option, of course is just go straight into "width & Height" and dial in the size you require.
Resolution can be kept at 72 pixels/inch. ( I've never tried more pixels for wipes! )
Background contents can be "white" as you can change this colour later on.

When the new image appears, I go to the Layers screen and double the layer to unlock it so I can work straight on that layer.
Next you add a mask, then just paint on the mask to get a shape for your wipe. Don't forget to use a blurred brush, I find a "Hardness setting of 50% usually works ( this can be just trial an error )

As you paint you will reveal a transparent background this will be the shape of your custom wipe. See attached file for screen grab.
Save your image as a PNG file to keep its transparent value. Don't forget to give it a useful name.

Import it into PD12, then using the Chroma key plus key function you can create another custom transition.
Unfortunately, its not a one stop process in Powerdirector! You'll have to save your first pass as a video file then import that then key that over the next image ..... but it does work. Its all down to trial and error for different file sizes etc.

Don't forget that what you find out this time, you'll be able to use in a future project so no time is wasted!

I'll be interested to find out how you get on if you choose to go down this "experimental" route.

PDTOOTS have produced excellent videos about file management etc., within PowerDirector, I thoroughly recommend you spend some time watching them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CYLYIynB0

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has already worked out how to do this and produce a better guide, I hope they do!

Cheers
[Thumb - photoshop-mask.jpg]
 Filename
photoshop-mask.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Photoshop Elements png-mask
 Filesize
283 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
105 time(s)