Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Green artifacts on exported high quality video
AndyIT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2012 13:35 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hello..
I hope someone has a suggestion. I'm working in PD12 all updated, I have a 50 min video imported in mpeg2 from a DVD.
I've done some editing and now I'm exporting it in standard DV high quality settings. When I export the movie I get at almost at the end of the movie some green blocks artifacts for 2 sec... which DOES NOT appear during editing (video clip in the editor is 100% perfect). I tried to experiment different encoders (h264, mpeg2, mp4) but the problem remains, so it seems not related to the encoder itself...
I also tried to re-import again from the DVD source without success.

I'm getting crazy... do you have any suggestion on things I can try to remove these? The rest of the movie is perfect and increasing bitrate does not help either.

Many thanks
Andrea

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 10. 2014 11:24

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello..
I hope someone has a suggestion. I'm working in PD12 all updated, I have a 50 min video imported in mpeg2 from a DVD.
I've done some editing and now I'm exporting it in standard DV high quality settings. When I export the movie I get at almost at the end of the movie some green blocks artifacts for 2 sec... which DOES NOT appear during editing (video clip in the editor is 100% perfect). I tried to experiment different encoders (h264, mpeg2, mp4) but the problem remains, so it seems not related to the encoder itself...
I also tried to re-import again from the DVD source without success.

I'm getting crazy... do you have any suggestion on things I can try to remove these? The rest of the movie is perfect and increasing bitrate does not help either.

Many thanks
Andrea

Hi AndyIT,
Please provide
1. a diagnostic of your computer.
2. a screenshot of the Edit Workspace.
3. I'd like the full version information please.
See guide, Part A, Part B and Part E & F - these will help you. see link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page

Guesses: =
maybe the issue is caused by Hardware Acceleration, uncheck in Preferences and don't use.
Update your GPU drivers.
Increase your RAM.
Pretty random guesses - More info will help members.

Dafydd
AndyIT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

OK these are more details:

- I'm running PD12 on Window 7 64bit. My system is not very recent (CoreDuo E8500 3GB) with 4 GB Ram.
Video card is NVIDIA Geforce GT610 2GB with latest drive 332.21

- PD12 64bit Ultra version is 12.0.2420 (I believe the last one available)

I was considering to add more RAM, but I'm encoding 12 videos from the same DVD series and the problem only happens in a couple of them out of 12.

I have to make a correction. Although the file on the editing screen seems OK when played normally, when I actually go frame by frame to get the screenshot the same green bar appears, so I think this can suggest the file is already something corrupted even if the problem cannot be seen when played. Here are the screenshots of both the workspace & the same frame once rendered (where the artifacts are visible when played as normal for about 2 sec).

Thank you for the suggestion and guide links. Hardware acceleration it was actually checked in my preferences. I unselect this and tried to re-encode but unfortunately it made no difference, but maybe the issue is already created in the import process.... rather then the final encoding...
 Filename
workspace.png
[Disk]
 Description
This is as it appears on still frame (workspace)
 Filesize
287 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
70 time(s)
 Filename
artifacts.png
[Disk]
 Description
This is the actual rendered movie
 Filesize
579 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
92 time(s)
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
To me it looks like a source file issue - a bit like a TV capture where the recording device lost some packets. If so you are stuck as the content is just "missing". You could try to mask it with an overly? PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
AndyIT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes jmone, I now think there's not much I can do if the problem starts at import stage. In this case as Dafydd said more RAM will probably help.... I actually tried to import that section with a different more capable machine but it's a mac and I can't install PD, so for some reason the mpeg2 file is not displayed in PD preview monitor and I'm afraid I might have sync issue with audio (it's a voiceover sync with the original file)

Yes thanks, I think it's not a bad idea to maybe mask for 3 sec the main video stream (or overlaying a slide, since this is a teaching material). I usually like to SOLVE a problem but here it seems I can only cover it wisely unless I change my hardware.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2014 17:40

jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
I was thinking you could just put a box over the green line with some informative text in it... then it looks like you did it on purpose! PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi AndyIT ,
To add to your woes, you need more ram/memory just to meet the minimum spec for PDR12 and a 64bit OS.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=16444&prodId=4&prodVerId=1052

I don't think we can help you much more, you've narrowed down the possibles.

Dafydd
AndyIT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, it seems there's nothing I can do to solve it.
Just for information, I made a final test (took me a while) and managed to install on my mac with plenty of RAM (16GB) Powerdirector 12 via Bootcamp. Results: same artifacts appear after import even with different hardware and much more RAM (and HD3000 integrated Intel graphic card of my macbook pro). So my conclusion is that the mpeg2 file on the DVD itself may be corrupted or imperfect... not sure why is playing fine, with no noise in the actual DVD though.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.
Andrea
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like your original DVD is maybe okay and you have it. It also sounds like you captured from the DVD initially. Since you have the DVD, simply copy the VOB files to your computer via windows, place these VOB files in the PD timeline, do nothing else but produce to mpeg and see if you get around the issue. If the produced file looks fine, use the produced mpeg in your timeline and your edits.

Jeff
AndyIT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Jeff, that was an excellent suggestion to avoid importing I had not thought about that. I tried and have find out the reason of my problem. The artifacts are appearing exactly where the movie is cut in two VOB files (VOB_1 VOB_2 - the two singles VOB files are fine). I copied the two VOBS and put them together in the timeline, but where the two files are cut there's a slight 0.5 sec missing, the transition between the two files is not smooth. Is there a way to merge the file into one? I have found a way to merge the files using MPEG Streamclip, the results is good but once I import in PD timeline this newly encoded mpeg, video screen is black, no video is shown. Very strange. If however I just preview the clip PD plays it without any problem...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11. 2014 16:32

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure that makes sense, but maybe. I have not seen two perfectly good VOB's and when one combines them you get trash. Maybe in PD as experience has shown it's not very VOB friendly. Step through the end of VOB_1 one frame at a time and verify you don't simply have a corrupt couple of frames. Do the same for the beginning of VOB_2. If there are a couple of frames, you can delete and maybe eliminate your issue with little loss.

If these are re-encoded with the bad few frames the length in time of the trash usually increases simple because of the method of encoding.

Jeff