Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 12 Performance Issues
Squagem [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 30, 2014 19:46 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for opening my post!

I recently downloaded the trial version of PowerDirector 12, and I have been pretty amazed with the amount of features this single program offers. I would have bought the full version already had it not been for some really frustrating performance drawbacks that I encountered.

There's really no way to describe the issues other than to say that the program runs "slowly". Essentially, whenever I try to switch from "Edit" to "Capture", or when I open an inspector to edit the PiP attributes of a video, it takes an unnecessary amount of time to load. Additionally, even small tasks such as moving movie clips around the screen seem to lag just a bit, and it's so unfortunate to me because this software was so promising at first!

TL;DR - The question I have for the forum here is: could my performance issues be due to the fact that I am still running the trial version? Would the full version manage memory better, and some of these optimizations were simply stripped out of the trial to reduce the file size?

I have placed an image below detailing my system specifications - I really doubt that my system is the bottleneck here.

Filename
Squagem-DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
81 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
399 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2014 10:11

Squagem [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bump - hopefully someone has some insight today

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2014 08:13

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please provide additional information:
1. Please provide a full diagnostic as laid out in Part B of the guide, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page
2. A screenshot of the Edit Workspace, Part E & F of the guide. I'm looking at the make up of your project so will need a full screen image please.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2014 08:19

Squagem [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply!

I have updated the post to contain a full export from dxdiag. I cannot provide a screen shot of the edit work space as it contains a bunch of sensitive data atm, is there anything in particular I can provide to help in diagnosis?
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Squagem:

Welcome to the PD12 Forum. I took a quick look at your dxdiag file. Your computer should be pretty fast with PD12. The only issue that I see is the limited free space on your C:\ SSD drive. For rendering/burning high definition media, such as Blu-ray disks, some folks recommend 100 GB free on the OS drive, which is where PD creates all of its temporary files and caches. There has been much discussion about that number, but I really don't think you would encounter any issues with editing, having 74 GB free, or even really with burning.

Do you have shadow files turned on in Preferences. If that is checked, uncheck it. You don't need them.

My real suspicion is that you are running into an Nvidia driver issue, well documented in this Forum. The latest full build of PD12 (2420) rectifies a bug that caused very poor performance. I am not sure that the patch has been incorporated in the trial version. Dafydd might be able to assist there.

You can always order a full version. There is a 30-day guarantee if you are not happy.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Squagem [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply, sir!

I have disabled shadow files as per your request. I believe it could be a driver issue, as I recently installed the graphics card. I have updated my driver, but alas there is no improvement.

Are there any workarounds for this currently other than purchasing the software for the latest updates? Ill also have a deeper look around this forum.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Yep- the trial version is knackered and does not work as well as the full blown version.
You have more than enough CPU / GPU to handle Power Director.

The full version has a 30 day money back guarantee so if you don't like it get a refund.
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=2317

I am using PD 12 Ultimate Suite with a lowly laptop with an underpowered i7 3520 and I can do everything I want in PD 12 with the latest beta patch. I am also using Win 8.1 PRO x64.

Things of course are not going to be as fast, or as smooth as a full blown desktop system like what you have.

Rob

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2014 19:35

PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be