Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
More about poor playback..
CJC [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 12, 2013 12:32 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, so unfortunately I need to start another topic. I didn't want to intrude too much on the below thread, and my issue is quite a bit different so wanted to start my own.

My issue is purely between the transition from clip to clip. If I play a clip in clip mode, it plays absolutely no problem on any quality. As soon as I try to play in movie mode, even on low quality, the video freezes and the program locks up for a few seconds (while the audio continues). This is in a brand new project with zero effects or editing aside from adding multiple clips in.

Previously, I've worked on a few more complicated projects for the past month or so with zero issues with high quality playback.. and now all of a sudden it won't play even on low quality. My projects consist of many many short 1-5 second clips put together, so needless to say it's made it impossible to do my work currently unless I'm doing clip by clip. If I bring up my performance graphs during a freeze up.. my computer isn't even doing anything, it's not like it's overloading or anything.

Does it have something to do with temp files building up? Or something? As I said I've had zero issues in the past.

I'm running i7, 8 Gb RAM, x64 win7, HD Radeon 5450 just updated. Quicktime up to date, windows up to date, etc.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
What format are those clips?

It won't hurt to clear the cache: EDIT|PREFS|GENERAL, Manually Delete temporary files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2014 09:07

CJC [Avatar]
[Post New]
.m2ts

Every project and video I'm working on is the same file type, from the same camera. I don't have any issues playing this file type. Only in movie mode, on a few recent projects. I don't know if it's more likely a disk defrag issue with these files maybe saved oddly? But I'd think these clips should all be pre-loaded in the program so I wouldn't think that'd make sense either.
Mike Franklin
Newbie Location: Scottish Higlands Joined: Jan 11, 2014 11:12 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
For what it's worth, I have exactly the same problem which does get worse the more effects etc. that I add.

I guess it's just a question of living with it or getting a more powerful computer!
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: .m2ts: I don't know if it's more likely a disk defrag issue with these files maybe saved oddly?

If it's not being done on an automatic schedule, defragging isn't a bad idea from time to time. Do not defrag a solid state drive (SSD).

The hard disk can be checked as well...
Open an elevated* command prompt. Type "chkdsk c:" (no quotes) <enter/return>
Windows will prompt for checking the system at next boot. Reboot the PC and let it do its thing.

*Click the START button. In the search box type "CMD" <enter>. Right-click on that choice and click "run as administrator."
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
CJC

You are getting off on the wrong track.

First. Please post in detail what it is that you are editing and what your target is.
Second. Please post the DxDiag file (as per the top of this forum page). Win 10, i7
CJC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Getting off on the wrong track?

I think it is clear this is not a computer hardware issue seeing as this issue is isolated to 1 or 2 specific projects that I have recently begun. As I said I've done multiple other projects on this computer using the same exact file types with far more tracks and effects with little to no issue. Now I start a new project with 0 effects and it can not play.. but I go back to previous projects and it is perfect. I would have to think it is something that I possibly changed in settings, or clearing out temp files or cache of some sort?

I am unsure what temporary files are for so have not deleted them.
 Filename
CJCDxDiagx64.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
300 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 20. 2014 11:41

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
CJC

Your PC is more than ample for the job. You are correct: the issue is likely the app AND the type of files being edited. I do almost all my edits with m2ts files and with varying types of file duration. To-date not a single issue. PD does empty temp files and you can control it's frequency in the General section of settings.

The only area that your PC differs from most is that your C drive (where PD is loaded I assume) is fairly small with only 45 Gb of free space. As per PD specs "60 GB (100 GB recommended) for Blu-ray Disc/AVCHD production" is yhe minimum that PD likes to see. When you're viewing in movie mode much more of the video has to be stored in order to display it properly. Perhaps that is when the memory situation pops it's ugly head.

Search for other threads in this forum looking for "low memory" and specifically " SSD" memory issues. Win 10, i7