Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Poor encoding in the trial version - help a noob.
bottomturn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2014 11:23 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I'm am having trouble producing quality HD video in the trial version of PowerDirector. My hardware is as follows:

AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
Intel i5 quad core
16 G RAM

My media is GoPro mp4 files and mts files from my Canon HF200 (which AVCHD 60i). The Canon is older, so the default setting was interlaced - I have now learned its better to set it to progressive and I have done so, but I have tons of video in 60i.

My test video is 4 alternating clips from the Canon and the GoPro.

In the trial, mp4 encoding is not allowed at all, so I can't test that. The AVC look bad, but I can only test it with hardware acceleration and I understand that can cause issues with AMD. The output is choppy as is the display in the editor - compared to the originals, it looks horrible. I tried the mpg, which is supposedly fully supported in the trial, and it too is choppy. The only thing producing smooth results is the wmv format with hardware acceleration off, but it has too much compression. I find it really irritating that I can't up the quality of the HD WMV since it should be native (maybe I'm missing something).

From reading the forums, I understand that the trial version may not support decoding and encoding of my formats. If so, how will I know if it works for my system and media? Right now, Windows Movie Maker is doing a much better job, but I'd really like to take my video editing to the next level and I have no confidence at all based on the trial. Is anyone else having issues (or not) with the full version?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2014 11:53

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Buy it; you have a 30 day return period. Go here.
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/purchase-faq-content.do?id=16356

Please provide more information on your computer by provide the information asked for in Part B here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

The full version has no issues with my Sony 3D camcorder.

Why do you think that HD WMV is supposed to be good? What are you even working with it. What do you plan to do with the videos?
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
bottomturn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the info on the 30 day return - just hoping to save myself some hassles.

I've attached the DxDiag - thanks for that - nice summary of things I'm always wondering about or forgetting.

Re: the WMV, I'm using WMM to encode the same clips and it's smooth and crisp compared to the wmvs I'm encoding on PD. Both are highly compressed , but I guess that's to be expected. I'm only trying out wmv in PD because I can't do mp4 or mts in the trial version. I thought you could encode wmv files at more than 10 Mbs, but if not, my mistake - I'm trying to get up to speed here.

I'm trying to make high quality videos of surfing and skiing with the family for burning to blu-ray, or playing on a big screen or projector off USB. The quality is of paramount importance to me and it's disappointing that I can't assess that in the trial version. I guess I'll be buying it and reporting back.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
222 time(s)
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I know the trial is limited on HD video, but I have bought it from version 10,11 and now 12. I have a GoPro and a Canon camcorder that does the mts files and it has all ways work great encoding to mp4 and H264.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2014 20:41

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
bottomturn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the feedback - I'll give it a whirl.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, bottomturn

I don;t see any thing in your computer that would/could be a restriction.

Just a minor point. See if there are updated drivers for your audio device. Yours are from 2009. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
bottomturn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Following up after the purchase - everything is pretty awesome so far. But I have to say, I would not have purchased the software based on the demo - Cyberlink has this community to thank for that. They should just put a big watermark on the demo rather than crippling critical features IMHO.

I'm sure to be posting more noob questions...
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Bottomturn I think one reason Cyberlink has limited HD encoding in the trial is they have to pay licensing royalties. I would say it help keep the cost down a little for people how buy it. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Following up after the purchase - everything is pretty awesome so far. But I have to say, I would not have purchased the software based on the demo - Cyberlink has this community to thank for that. They should just put a big watermark on the demo rather than crippling critical features IMHO.

I'm sure to be posting more noob questions...

Hi bottomturn,

I'm sure members will dive in and help you resolve your "noob questions" as quickly as they can.

Dafydd