Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How does one remove a split mark?
pcgpnw [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 15, 2013 00:53 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
How do I remove a split in Powerdirector 11?

I am trying to use the split feature as a workaround to how Powerdirector 11 edits chapter markers when portions of a video are deleted. When I delete portions of a video in Powerdirector 11, I expect Powerdirector to also delete the chapter markers associated with the video that was deleted. However, it does exactly the opposite, and instead saves the chapter markers associated with the video that was deleted, and deletes the chapter markers associated with the video that was not deleted.

As I workaround I use a split instead of a chapter marker when I break up a multi-hour video (that is too long to fit on one DVD) for producing onto several DVDs (with several chapters for each DVD). The splits stay where I want after breaking a large PDS file into smaller ones and I can then easily add the chapter markers afterward, wherever there is a split.

Sometimes during editing I need to move the location of a chapter, hence I need to move a split mark, or remove one and place a new one. I can’t undo the split without undoing all actions I made after I placed the split, which I don’t want to do. How can I simply remove the split, or merge two adjacent portions of a video, separated by a split, back into one piece – without deleting all other portions, producing the two I want merged as one video, and then importing the merged clip back into the original? That seems like an inordinate amount of work for something that should be simple and it loses the raw data contained in the original segments.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Dec 07. 2013 16:50

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
you can undo a split by using the Undo function on top of the Powerdirector user interface. Splits are undone in the order they were placed.

But Chapters are best added to the video last after all video is edited.

As far as knowing your places, you can use a piece of paper and write the time code and what the time code is. (Make Notes).

Chapters do not move once you place them. Which means they stay at the time mark even when you remove parts of the video.
The one time that chapters get automaticaly removed is when no Video under.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2014 09:17

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

pcgpnw [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: you can undo a split by using thre Undo function on top of the Powerdirector user interface. Splits are undone in the order they were placed.

Yes, but as I stated above, that won't work for me. For example, I need to undo the 6th split back that I placed, but none that were placed subsequently.

Quote:
Chapters are best added to the video after all video is edited.

Yes. That's why I'm placing split marks to mark chapter locations while editing, so I know where to put the chapters after I've broken up the video and am ready to produce..

Quote:
As far as knowing your places, you can use a piece of paper and write the time code and what the time code is. (Make Notes).

Splits work better for me as the time locations change when I break a large video up into parts.

My method of keeping track of where I want chapters works well, except when I need to change a chapter location. I can place a new split where the new chapter location goes. I just can't delete the old split, so I have to remember to ignore it. I'm just using the splits as reference markers. It would be really nice if Powerdirector allowed you to embed reference markers in video clips that stayed in place (and weren't tied to the time marks like chapters are) and could be deleted at will.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It would be really nice if Powerdirector allowed you to embed reference markers in video clips that stayed in place (and weren't tied to the time marks like chapters are) and could be deleted at will.

Powerdirector 12 does have a timeline marker system.

From Powerdirector 12 Help: In the help there are pictures.
Timeline Markers

You can add timeline markers* to the timeline ruler for more precise media placement on the timeline. Once added, media clips snap to the timeline markers, allowing your media to appear in your video production at the exact moment you want it.

Note: * optional feature in CyberLink PowerDirector. Check the version table on our web site for detailed versioning information.

Adding Timeline Markers

To add a timeline marker, do this:

1. Hover your mouse over the timeline ruler. The green timeline marker indicator displays with the displayed time.

Note: use the timeline ruler to expand the timeline for a more precise placement of timeline markers.

2. Once you have found the time where you want to place the timeline, right-click on the ruler and then select Add Timeline Marker.

3. Input a Note for the new timeline marker, if required.

4. Click on OK to add the new timeline marker.

Once a timeline marker is added, media will snap to it when added to a track in the timeline.

Note: you can manually drag a timeline marker to different position if the original is not in the exact location you wanted it. Expand the timeline ruler for a more precise placement, if necessary.

Right-click on the timeline ruler and then select Edit Timeline Markers to view a list of all the timeline markers you have added. In this list you can remove any of the existing markers, or double-click in the Note column to edit the associated text.

That is just one of the new features in powerdirector 12.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

pcgpnw [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hmmm, interesting.
But... this means though that I would have to split the media everywhere I put a time marker, otherwise the beginning of the clip will jump to the marker. Than I am back to placing splits again, which cannot be randomly removed.

What I need is just a removable reference marker and nothing more, that is always visible in the timeline.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2013 10:26

Carl312
[Post New]
I am reasonably sure you can turn off the snap to reference in PD 12.

You can download the Free 30 day Trial version and try it out. The Trial is crippled in the HD area, but you can practice on SD videos.
If you like what you find, then purchase the Ultra or Ultimate version. Both of those versions are 64 bit, Deluxe is 32 bit.

pcgpnw [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll try it.
Thank you Carl.
Lewmer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2010 20:22 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
What would be good would be a Chapter row that could move with an inserted clip --
That would get me to 12 from 10.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: How do I remove a split in Powerdirector 11?

Sometimes during editing I need to move the location of a chapter, hence I need to move a split mark, or remove one and place a new one. I can’t undo the split without undoing all actions I made after I placed the split, which I don’t want to do. How can I simply remove the split, or merge two adjacent portions of a video, separated by a split, back into one piece – without deleting all other portions, producing the two I want merged as one video, and then importing the merged clip back into the original? That seems like an inordinate amount of work for something that should be simple and it loses the raw data contained in the original segments.

Ok- if I understand correctly here is the way I usually do this- I use splits instead of markers also. I can fine tune the fade in / out and timing better this way when doing cuts. (I just recently uninstalled my PD 11 and am now using PD 12 exclusively.)

But can you select two recently split clips that are still side by side then >Right click either one and then select "Combine" ?
(Don't remember if this is a PD 12 only feature.) Once you move a clip out of its order or change the timing by trimming it, then you can no longer do a Combine again however.

For other splits that you have moved around- in PD 12 you can highlight a selection of clips and click on "Produce Range" to output a merged video and then import that back into your work edit.

Rob.
[Thumb - Produce Range.PNG]
 Filename
Produce Range.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
196 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
842 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2014 18:57

PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Lewmer [Avatar]
[Post New]
So OK,

What does that buy you? You can select a set of clips and move them around now. What does having them as an
video accomplish except to group them which you can do with the group function anyway?

My interest is off topic though as I want to keep chapters straight when I move clips around in the timeline. I know it would be better to do the chapters last, and I do that but sometimes changes are required subsequently.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: So OK,

What does that buy you? You can select a set of clips and move them around now. What does having them as an
video accomplish except to group them which you can do with the group function anyway?

My interest is off topic though as I want to keep chapters straight when I move clips around in the timeline. I know it would be better to do the chapters last, and I do that but sometimes changes are required subsequently.

If you must make a change in the order of the videos after chapters are added, you can go to the chapter room and move the chapter markers after the point of change. (Only one at a time however)

I remove all of the chapters then re-add the chapters if I must change the order of the videos on the timeline.

Lewmer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you -- at least I know there is nothing easier I am missing.

"There is a new forum where you can give suggestions for improving the Powerdirector Menu system.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22604.page"

Have any of the suggestions listed on the above link been implemented subsequent to PD 10?

Thanks again

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 03. 2014 17:52

Lewmer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok so no help from Cyberlink on menus. I just produced a dvd of the grammys where the first page was PLAY and SCENES followed by 8 pages of 4 chapters each. The dvd requires page-by-page review to find a chapter times eight with only one other option -- to return to the first page. Essentially, the menu is worthless.

I am planning a figure skating dvd with a lot more chapters. Forget easier, is there any way to make this bd disk even remotely random access from links on page one?

I am running pd 10 on a sandy bridge processor desktop.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Lewmer,

The best thing to do is started another thread with your issue.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Lewmer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestion -- think I will just dig around some more with search to see if I have overlooked something.

As robust as the "suggestion box" was a couple of posts above, something should be posted somewhere if anything
worthwhile is/has taken place.

If nothing turns up, I will take a shot at starting another thread after the Olympic project wraps up.

1_15_14

Search turned this up regarding pd 12. No need to start a new thread -- this says it all for me.

"PD's menu creation module is locked into the Root Menu/Scenes Menu configuration & we can't get past it."

"Cheers - Tony"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2014 12:09