Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Possible to change video to mono?
Stas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 22, 2008 09:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
We stupidly only used one of the camera's microphones, and the sound was recorded from one speaker. If we produce the video as it was recorded, the sound only plays out of one speaker, which is fine on a laptop, but not in a lecture theatre where it will be played.

Is there any way to conver the audio to mono?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think that PD has that option. I have used PD to stripped out the audio and then you can produce just that. I have then taken that file to a different utility to hack on it, and then brought it back to PD as voice or music.

How are you playing the produced product at the lecture theater? Can't you simply use a stereo to mono pigtail and also a splitter if you need to on the audio out side of your device?

Jeff
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
You can also change the playback to mono to get sound from both speakers. PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Jayson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2009 22:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I've got a similiar problem and need to convert stero audio to mono. I finally found a way to get audio out of my airplanes intercom, but it is recorded as stereo although the intercom is mono. I try to produce movies of my flights to post on the internet, but they only play out of the left speaker. I really don't want a hardware solution since I already have too many wires/adapters in the cockpit. It should be a simple software feature to merge stereo channels. Any ideas? I know I could strip it, combine them, then bring the audio back in, but then I would have to edit the video and audio files seperately, which would be a total pain since I usually have 50 small clips.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stas, JL, Babdi, Jayson, (and all ships at sea...),

Wouldn’t this work?
Produce your project to Windows AVI by clicking...
Produce > Avi > Windows Avi > Settings > Video/Audio Settings > Attributes
Under “Attributes” there are many “mono” options to choose from.
And I assume that if you Produce in mono, your produced file will playback through both speakers.

Then you can take that produced Windows Avi file (that’s in mono), and load it back into a new PD timeline, and re-produce it to whatever format you want to use to broadcast and distribute it.

I haven’t tested this with a clip that only has audio in one (left or right) channel. But it seems like it should work if one wanted to go through the effort. Somebody please set me straight if I’m missing something here.

(Adrian, here’s your chance for revenge, hahaha!)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2010 17:43

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
As Jeff said, PD doesn't seem to have that option.

I've just played with an idea that seemed to work but does depend on the file formats chosen/needed.

Produce your video as normal (but the file format may be influential), as I understand the problem you have stereo audio with only one channel waveform, the other being 'silent'. What is then needed is to either duplicate the channel or merge the stereo to mono and let the player deal with the mono input over stereo speakers?

So, run the completed video through Super©, setting the video to stream copy (avoiding any further transcoding or video processing) but setting the audio to 1 channel, yourbitrate etc etc.

Depending on the parameters and codecs chosen, since in my experiment some combinations were processed but resulted in no audio, it might do the job, unfortunately I haven't got any 'single channel' stereo audio to work with, but it does convert the normal stereo to mono according to mediainfo.

Might be worth a try????

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Cranston, how come you always post first - what time of night are you on anyway - it's 0755 here?

cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Adrian,

It's 12:20AM right now on this side of the pond. I tend to stay up late owing to my particular schedule.

So... My idea/method proffered above, won't result in mono playback in both speakers?
Am I still thinking analog in a digital world?
I just turned the ripe old age of 54 a couple of days ago, so I expend a lot of my brain power when I'm just blowing on my soup to cool it down, so my geriatric reasoning is slowly becoming more and more flawed, hahaha.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 04. 2009 03:27

vn800rider
[Post New]
OK, so your idea is simpler, only uses PD, is probably quicker, and does the same thing as my idea.

Reluctantly, you win.

I could lie and say you're really old and I'm only 37 but that would have been 20 years ago - whoops.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
vn800rider
[Post New]
Anyway, my photo is nearer my age than yours! Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
Cranston
[Post New]
Adrian,

I've already learned more new information from your posts than you'll ever learn from any of mine. So in that respect, yes, I win.

And yes, time does fly doesn't it?

As far as mono. I didn't have any video with only one channel of audio either, so I couldn't test my suggested workaround. But I would think it should work. Maybe Stas will try it, and report his results to the forum.

Oh, and my profile picture? I use that photo because, well, my looks just went down hill from three, hahaha.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 04. 2009 04:15

Jayson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2009 22:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCi4sWQBEiQ

This is the the video that I posted with sound only in the left speaker. I'm trying to avoid video encoding to different medias since I want to maintain the HD clarity since YouTube now supports HD. If Super allows me to fix the audio without messing with the video, that might be the best solution until PD adds this simple feature.
vn800rider
[Post New]
Hi Jayson,

Just tried the following :-

grabbed your one channel video off youtube as a .flv.

used pazera flv to avi to convert to an avi - only did this to get the idea of what would work - changed the audio to 1 channel and converted.

WMP doesn't like the result but media player classic home cinema has no problems, the audio is now mono and plays in both channels video seems fine.

So, in principle it should work???.

Over to you.

Cheers
Confucius
[Post New]
Another option is to use the CLVS function within the produce tab which will render mono audio to both channels (well it did for my test anyway). I used living room setting. It might introduce a bit of echo effect but worth a try.