Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Low Intel QuickSync usage
flashmp3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 14, 2013 21:21 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have just tried Powerdirector 12 trial as i would like to buy this interesting software to encode videos with some effects. The thing is i have intel i7 3517u with hd4000 gpu. When i make an mp4 H264 file using intel quick sync, i can see that the GPU usage is lower than 15% overall. When i use Handbrake QuickSync version i get something like 80% GPU usage and the encoding is so fast !! encoding a 2.5 H264 720p file 5000 kbits bitrate to 6000 kbits for example (just to test purpose) take 5 minutes !!! It is so fast.

So i think the Powerdirector doesn't really take advantage of Intel QuickSync. The encoding is really really slow

Could you test handbrake quicksync version to see what i mean
[Post New]
hi there,
what tool do you use to get the GPU usage? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
GPU-Z
flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Actually whith Handbrake GPU load is more around 95 %
flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
hope i'll have a solution before the trial expires
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The Trial version is restricted in the HD area, it only does HD on Windows 7/8.

The GPU usage may be less because of that restriction.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I m on win8
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
GPU performance in non trial PD is a function of many items but from my experience typically ranges from about 45-85% on my setup for HD4000. The attached pic shows sustained usage at ~75% for MPEG-4 1280x720/30p 16Mbps output from H.264 1920x1080 24Mbps input, no edits, just video conversion to mimic your test.

Jeff
[Thumb - gpu_load.png]
 Filename
gpu_load.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
851 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
202 time(s)
flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for this feedback. Could you test handbrake quicksync ?

I also hope I ll have a feedback from the devs as I don t want to buy the software then see the result is the same
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for this feedback. Could you test handbrake quicksync ?

I also hope I ll have a feedback from the devs as I don t want to buy the software then see the result is the same

No devs here, go to cyberlink support if you want tech support, http://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp before your trial runs out.

I won't post handbrake results on a Cyberlink hosted forum, something about rules and common courtesy. If you use a CL supplied sample file and post details of the file and results I'd be glad to duplicate with the same sample clip in PD12 retail and you can go from there.

Jeff
[Post New]
Since the default frame rate setting of Handbrake is "same as source" but PowerDiector is not, did you try to set the same FPS as source clip's?

if the frame rate settings are different, the result will be different. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Thanks for this feedback. Could you test handbrake quicksync ?

No devs here, go to cyberlink support if you want tech support, http://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp before your trial runs out.

I won't post handbrake results on a Cyberlink hosted forum, something about rules and common courtesy. If you use a CL supplied sample file and post details of the file and results I'd be glad to duplicate with the same sample clip in PD12 retail and you can go from there.

Jeff

Very kind of you....i have tried multiple files but it's the same low GPU usage behavior. It's really weird :s
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Very kind of you....i have tried multiple files but it's the same low GPU usage behavior. It's really weird :s

Why is low GPU a concern to you?

The usage of CPU and/or GPU is dependant of the content of the video being rendered. And what has been edited.

Some video does not need to be rendered, therefore low GPU and CPU use. (While producing video some sections of the original video is simply copied to the output video, no rendering is done.)

If you do something that changes the whole video then everything is rendered, you will see much more GPU and CPU use.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I m concerned by that cause I find powerdirector very slow compared to handbrake to do the same operation. So I was trying to understand Why so then I saw the low gpu usage and was wondering how something which claims to use quicksync would use it this little
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I m concerned by that cause I find powerdirector very slow compared to handbrake to do the same operation. So I was trying to understand Why so then I saw the low gpu usage and was wondering how something which claims to use quicksync would use it this little

I have no explanation why PD has less GPU usage. But you are making unfair comparisons.

If you are happier with another video editor or DVD burner, it is your privilege to use that program. This is Cyberlink Powerdirector forum. We do not discuss other companies software. Nor do we make comparisons.

flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I just first wanted to precise that my goal wasn't to depreciate PD12. I tested other software before i decide myself and PD12 is the best i saw.

Handbrake can just be used for encoding. No producing feature. I was comparing with it just to point out a possible problem in PD12 so that the devs fix it if so. The goal is that the soft works the best possible. Intel Quick Sync is really a powerful tool that should be used again and again.

I had answer from the support. Intel IVY bridge is not supported. Quick Sync works only with Sandy bridge system
flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dear Frederic,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand your concern related with the support of Intel Quick Sync in PowerDirector 12 trial version software.

Regarding your concern, I would like to inform you that you need to meet the below given informations to use the Intel Quick Sync technology:

1. CPU: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000 (Intel Sandy Bridge)

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/index.htm

2. Mother board: Intel® H67(B3) Express Chipset
3. When using Intel Quick Sync video, you can't use external/standalone graphic card (Some of the Motherboards has the function to switch between embeded Intel graphic card or external graphic card)
4. Software supports Intel Quick Sync Video Technology (Like PDR, MediaEspresso)

To check if Intel Quick Sync Video/AMD Stream/NVIDIA CUDA is available in PowerDirector or not, Click on the PowerDirector Logo on the top-right corner to open About page. If there's Intel/AMD/NVIDIA logo on it, then you can use the hardware acceleration in PowerDirector.

* PowerDirector Intel® Quick Sync Video support (SandyBridge hardware support)
- Hardware encode
- Hardware effect acceleration

NOTE : Windows XP itself doesn't support Hardware Decode. (AMD Stream/NVDIA CUDA/Intel Quick Sync)"

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Thanks and Regards,

Sorokhaibam
CyberLink Technical Support
Carl312
[Post New]
It seems you got your answer.

"Not Supported".

My personal opinion is to not use Hardware Acceleration (HA) for most Rendering in Powerdirector.

If your computer is fast enough, the amount of time for CPU vs GPU rendering is minimal.

Besides HA can produce artifacts in the video, I have seem many times artifacts were introduced when using HA.

flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I guess you're such an old person not aware of progress.....

Let me introduce you the present : Intel Quick Sync :

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/quick-sync-video/quick-sync-video-general.html

http://www.intel.fr/content/www/fr/fr/architecture-and-technology/quick-sync-demo.html

http://software.intel.com/sites/billboard/article/cyberlink-optimizes-director-suite-intel-quick-sync-video

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181-7.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge-core-i7-3770k-review/21

Before it was created in fact GPUs weren't advice. Since it was introduced it is the best thing nowadays for video editing and that is why it implemented in EVERY video software nowadays
flashmp3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's insane that PowerDirector would support intel quick sync of Sandy bridge, then would go straight to Haswell support avoiding Ivy Bridge. I don't see why Ivy bridge would have been avoided. So as the software detects my Intel Quick Sync well, i guess the person who answered me just doesn't know much............

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2013 12:07