Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I see no Reason to Upgrade
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2012 18:55 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
First off somebody needs to tell Cyberlink that an upgraded product should look and act upgraded. Just downloaded the trial version of PD 12 and there's nothing in it I can see that makes it look or act like an upgrade.

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: First off somebody needs to tell Cyberlink that an upgraded product should look and act upgraded. Just downloaded the trial version of PD 12 and there's nothing in it I can see that makes it look or act like an upgrade.

Hi Gary, Don't you like the new splash screen? I know some people who are still using V8 and lower.

If you don't want or need any of the "new" features, then there is no need to upgrade. I don't think I will ever use 4K video nor would I use mulit-camera set up so I would not upgrade for those features. I might for some of the others like content aware editing and "theme designer (wizard)"

Think about what you have done in that last 2 years - new camcorder, new camera, new TV, new computer using W8?

You are smart to not spend your money when you don't need to. What new features were you looking for? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
New features include...
the ability to use a motion GIF (excellent).
Pixelan plug-ins.
Multi-cam.
New FX (tilt-shift for one).

The page http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultimate/news_en_US.html

There are some good reasons, but later in the program's life-cycle I'm sure you'd save a few dollars.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
None of these "new features" increase the core functionality of the application. All are novelty enhancements most users won't use. For example, how many prosumers will use the "multi-cam" feature? Likewise, how often will anyone need the enhancements in the subtitle room? And "content aware" editing has no real application for the serious prosumer -- especially one who would use the new multi-cam feature. And I've read the forum and no one is complaining about PD not being fast enough, so why the emphasis on speeding things up?

Meanwhile, in the areas where PD lags behind the competition nothing has been done. Everyone uses titles, so why not improve that instead of subtitles? And instead of 400 new effects nobody will use, how about one or two effects people actually will use, like film or cinematic look?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Gary -

It's all a bit hypothetical, isn't it? I guess the software designers make choices on perceived needs & wants of the market. Sometimes it comes off & sometimes it doesn't. Everyone needs/wants different features.

I drive a 1999 Mitsubishi Triton 4WD Ute with 300k on the clock. Its list of features is pretty short, but I wouldn't swap it for quids. My son drives top of the line Jeep Grand Cherokee with everything that opens and shuts. He borrows my ute when he needs to do any proper work!

The need for speed is pretty common in this high paced, high res market - it affects everything we use. You can't bag CL for trying to be part of that, whether you need it or not.

Fair enough - you keep your PD10 & I'll keep the ute. They serve us well.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: None of these "new features" increase the core functionality of the application. All are novelty enhancements most users won't use. For example, how many prosumers will use the "multi-cam" feature? Likewise, how often will anyone need the enhancements in the subtitle room? And "content aware" editing has no real application for the serious prosumer -- especially one who would use the new multi-cam feature. And I've read the forum and no one is complaining about PD not being fast enough, so why the emphasis on speeding things up?

Meanwhile, in the areas where PD lags behind the competition nothing has been done. Everyone uses titles, so why not improve that instead of subtitles? And instead of 400 new effects nobody will use, how about one or two effects people actually will use, like film or cinematic look?

and: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30541.page#167643
Quote: Here we go again....

I ask a simple question, but rather than get a direct answer I get the "As far as I know, you're the only person who has ever asked that question."

PS upgrades continue to disappoint. The things people actually want are ignored in place of things nobody wants. Who wants or need multi-camera support? What is 4k acceleration? Where's the ground-swell demand for "content aware" editing? And why more tacky templates that no serious prosumer would ever use?

How about an easy way to sync video with audio? Adobe Premier Pro now ships with Plural eyes functionality. .Why continue to include an "old film" effect, when everybody wants an effect that will make their movie look like the Transformers? And do you realize how disappointing it is to launch pd 12 and not see a dime's difference between it and pd 10?

Hi garylloyd1212,

RE: MultiCam.
One of the most popular camera being sold is "GoPro" and many video editors have multiples of these to record events. To cater for that market and for others who have two or more HD (and SD) cameras, MultiCam is what is needed. These cameras are used to record the same event, be it a field sports scene, a wedding, a concert or an action event. A two camera event can be when your partner has a camera and you want to sync the two in together. MultiCam has a purpose and is a growing option for many editors.

You are right that areas in need of change haven't been carried out. These modules will be up for change and you make good observations on what you'd like altered/improved.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2013 05:22

garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I made these observations years ago and Cyberlink keeps ignoring them. I didn't buy pd 11 and I won't by PD 12.
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ha!

I just found out about color director, down-loaded it, and now I see what's going on!

They put all the real cool enhancements in color director -- a seperate app that cost more than PD 12.

How predatory is that?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Gary, fer cryin' out loud, man, if you don't want to upgrade, don't, you don't HAVE to buy it, it ain't Obamacare.
As for ColorDirector, it's a plug-in to give more control over video appearance, for those editors who wish to go the extra mile.
Every version of PD has color controls, but CD can apply alterations to particular areas, rather than the entire frame. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
"Gary, fer cryin' out loud, man, if you don't want to upgrade, don't, you don't HAVE to buy it, it ain't Obamacare. "
-- Barry the Crab
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last time I checked this was the USA not Russia, and in the USA -- particularly in forums like this -- free speech is allowed and encouraged.

What part of Free Speech do you have a problem with, Bob?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 06. 2013 06:43

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Have a family member look at all your posts and give you an opinion on your reasonableness..

And not everyone here is in the US.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 06. 2013 08:08

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Gary,
I'm NOT telling you to shutup, it's just the core of your thread seems to be just bitchin' about Cyberlink and PD 12.
PD10 is a perfectly good program.
I suppose I'm done here, it's going nowhere.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You are telling me to shut up.

My original question was why PD isn't keeping pace with the competition. You knew the answer -- Color Director -- but didn't give it.

Color director is great; the only problem is rather than include it in PD, Cyberlink elected to make it a separate app. No one else resorts to tactics like, and tactics like this are exploitative.

I also can't help wondering whether it's a bad business in the long-run. By not including Color Director in PD, PD lags behind the competition.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 06. 2013 09:35

stevek
[Post New]
Quote: You are telling me to shut up.

My original question was why PD isn't keeping pace with the competition. You knew the answer -- Color Director -- but didn't give it.

Color director is great; the only problem is rather than include it in PD, Cyberlink elected to make it a separate app. No one else resorts to tactics like, and tactics like this are exploitative.

I guess you don't read all your threads?

I told you about Color Director here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30541.page

and posted the list of Color Director options that were available (Nov 3). Did you forget that you posted that question? Did you look at it or just forget it.

We are giving you the correct information, you seem to want to ignore it just to complain. It is not exploitive, it is good business. People only buy what they need. Yes, other companies do the same thing. That is why car companies have a bottom of the line and various upgrades from there. .
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

I told you about Color Director here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30541.page

and posted the list of Color Director options that were available (Nov 3). Did you forget that you posted that question? Did you look at it or just forget it.

We are giving you the correct information, you seem to want to ignore it just to complain. It is not exploitive, it is good business. People only buy what they need. Yes, other companies do the same thing. That is why car companies have a bottom of the line and various upgrades from there.

You seem to be having a conversation with yourself, fella. Why is the fact that you mentioned Color Director in an earlier post germane to the question of whether Cyberlink is shaking down users?

And you go on to say "other companies do the same thing" but rather than give an example of another video editing software company doing the same thing, as we would expect, you cite a car company. What kind of logic is that?

Then again, maybe you don't believe Cyberlink is capable of greed.

Is that it?

stevek
[Post New]
I'm done. You don't want help, you just want to complain. .
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

We are giving you the correct information, you seem to want to ignore it just to complain. It is not exploitive, it is good business. People only buy what they need. Yes, other companies do the same thing. That is why car companies have a bottom of the line and various upgrades from there.

You seem to be having a conversation with yourself, fella. Why is the fact that you mentioned Color Director in an earlier post germane to the question of whether Cyberlink is shaking down users?

And you go on to say "other companies do the same thing" but rather than give an example of another video editing software company doing the same thing, as we would expect, you cite a car company. What kind of logic is that?

Then again, maybe you don't believe Cyberlink is capable of greed.

Is that it?

Hi garylloyd1212,
Where are you going with your thread Gary?

I'm quite happy for you to sound off, complain. Most of all, I'd like to read what suggested areas of improvement and inclusion you'd like seen in PDR13+. I can then forward your list of wants and dislikes directly to CyberLink as I have done with your earlier posts. Some of which are supported by members.

Unfortunately you've chosen to get distracted somewhat and I'd be disappointed if you get away from your initial post and thread topic, "I see no Reason to Upgrade".

Please don't attack members here or I'll have to close the thread or delete it completely. On this forum, members (you'll need to) abide by the guides.

Forum Moderator

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 06. 2013 10:39