Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is it worth it to upgrader from PD11 to PD12?
Danwestlake [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2012 07:18 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I realize that for some, speed alone might be a good reason to upgrade. I'm currently using PD 11 Ultimate and wondered if the new features are worth the upgrade to PD 12?

I'm a novice user so there isn't any sense me spending $70 to upgrade if I'm not really going to benefit from ease of use with additional features.

Thanks
Dan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2013 13:46

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Dan,

In your case if PD11 does what you need then don't bother upgrading until you need to. As for speed : PD12 may not be any faster on your PC, depending on how it's configured. Suggest you check out the differences in the options that the two versions offer and most importantly see how your PC fits with the recommended "minimum" configuration. Win 10, i7
Danwestlake [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found a PDToots video on the differences like the green screen etc. At this point I haven't done anything with green screen but I'm considering a project where I'll be using it.

I think I'll take your advice and as long as PD 11 is doing what I need I'll stick with it.

Thanks
Dan
skmami [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 30, 2013 16:48 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I would recommend you wait until all the bugs are fixed in PD12. I recently got PD12 and it is nothing but trouble. Crashes every other minute. UI is very slow and I am glad they recently provided a patch for that. I hope they fix all the bugs very soon.
Danwestlake [Avatar]
[Post New]
I had noticed a few people were having some issues. It's unfortunate when that happens. I'm sure they are doing the best they can to resolve any rough spots.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dan,

You should be able to do a green screen effect exactly the same in PD 11 as in PD 12 (I take it you just viewed the pointy hand tutorial by Adrian.)

PD 11 is still a very capable and powerful editor. I only upgraded because it has extra features and tweaks such as right click the transitions in the timeline and change the duration instead of having to manually go to the Preferences setting every time to do so. Some very subtle and some very major ones that caught my interest.

Since you are a newer user, I wouldn't sweat what the differences are. Just get comfortable with PD 11 and when your knowledge grows and you need more features then you have the option to upgrade to PD 12 and beyond.

.. and yes all NLEs and the different versions have their issues it's a given.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Danwestlake [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Rob,

I was aware that PD 11 was capable of Green Screen, just haven't tried doing anything with it yet.

You are correct I did see the tutorial Adrian did with the pointing hand. I also saw his previous one a while back with the green scree and sand, quite effective.

You may have seen the whiteboard presentation videos done recently and I was looking at trying to do the same in PD with the hand sliding things in and removing items as well.

I've created a couple of videos which are on youtube but they are mainly like slide shows. My youtube channel is here. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLzzAURUDg4VhiiQxOnXdQA

Dan
Franz54 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2010 08:39 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
I couldn't agree more: wait until PD12 is fixed, I've never used an application that has so many bugs. It's not faster than PD11, I cannot use the new theme desginer because it crashes every time I try to add a second piece of media...and so on .....