Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What does RENDER PREVIEW do ???
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 26, 2013 09:16 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
When opening up a range on the scrubber (using the ORANGE range buttons), there is a RENDER PREVIEW tab displayed. When selecting that, PD12 begins a rendering operation (shows a series of dialogs). How is this supposed to work? What render settings is it using? What flename is it using? Where is it saving the rendered file? After it completes I can't seem to find anything.

Wouldn't it make more sense for PD12 to display a confirmation dialog prior to beginning the render? This should provide details of the selected clip (duration, etc.), the render settings it is going to use, the filename, and save location and allow you to change any of these if desired or cancel the pending render request. Why would you want it to blindly proceed and then produce nothing? Maybe a little testing prior to release would be a good idea.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When opening up a range on the scrubber (using the ORANGE range buttons), there is a RENDER PREVIEW tab displayed. When selecting that, PD12 begins a rendering operation (shows a series of dialogs). How is this supposed to work? What render settings is it using? What flename is it using? Where is it saving the rendered file? After it completes I can't seem to find anything

There's nothing to find. It simply previews the selected (rendered) portion, per the HELP file...

"Range Selection
Click and drag one of the arrows on either side of the timeline slider to select a range* of media on the timeline.
Once selected, you can cut or copy, and then paste the selected media to another position on the timeline.

You can also use this feature to manually highlight a portion of a clip that you want to then remove or trim out. Or select Render Preview to have CyberLink PowerDirector render a video preview of only the highlighted range."
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
To the best of my knowledge render preview is a session only function that enables the preview player to display a selected range "pre-rendered" as opposed to processing edits in real time. (I know there are also instances of "auto-rendering" in lower spec systems, which can be very irritating)

PD appears to preview in real time by default, and therefore any enhancements, effects, adjustments etc place additional strain on the preview player and may result in choppy playback (which will depend entirely on the system specs).

In the same way that proxy or shadow files were commonly used, preview render may also be useful in some circumstances. I can't recall if or where any rendered files are located but the main function is to enable a smoother preview playback.

It can easily be tested (depending on system specs) by applying multiple enhancements to say 5 or 10 timelines, selecting a range, and then rendering the preview and previewing in full HD.

The difference in smooth playback is usually obvious between the pre-rendered range and the rest. I believe it's main function is to make playback of complex timelines "easier". Personally, I don't use it - I tend to produce the section instead but others may find it useful.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Just to add my two cents worth to the already great replies, I use RENDER PREVIEW to watch clips that I have sped up or slowed down as it it 'produces' the file and you can view it smoothly without that annoying 'stuttering' on super sped up clips.

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!