Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fix/Enhance -- Video Enhancement Degree Settings ...
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 26, 2013 09:16 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
Using PD12 Ultimate ...

Not seeing any visual changes taking place for the Degree setting on Video Enhancement. The control allows settings between 0-100 but I'm not seeing any difference in the preview window regardless of where I set this to. Does this not work in PD12? Do you have to render in order to see any visual changes?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Using PD12 Ultimate ...

Not seeing any visual changes taking place for the Degree setting on Video Enhancement. The control allows settings between 0-100 but I'm not seeing any difference in the preview window regardless of where I set this to. Does this not work in PD12? Do you have to render in order to see any visual changes?

The preview is a low resolution view.

To see actual changes you must produce the video with sample settings in Video Enhancement. Then view those produced videos in an external player. VLC or Window Media Player.

If your original material is Standard Definition, you will not see much change.

Experiment:
Sample Video: Nature.mpg. Move the time scrubber to 00:00:7:00: (notice the tree leaves lower Left) Pause.
Fix/enhance
Set slider at 100
Click the Check mark for Video Enhancement. Notice the change when checked vs not checked.

I have my preview set to "High" I can see a change.

SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm running my preview at Full HD. And am working with FHD H.264 HD clips. I certainly can see a major visual difference when checking/unchecking Video Enhancement, that's not my issue. What I can't see is any visual difference (in preview) based on where I place the DEGREE slider. If I place it at 0 or 100, it looks the same. Would think that if I set the DEGREE slider at 0, that the enhancement should be turned OFF, but that's not what I'm seeing. I'll do some test renders with different DEGREE settings and see what visual changes I see once rendered. The main issue I have at this point is that the degree of enhancement is way too much for me as shown in preview (clip doesn't look real), that's why I'm trying to reduce the DEGREE setting so I can see lower levels of enhancement. Doesn't seem right that you can't at least get a still shot of the different DEGREE settings in preview without having to render. That's not making it easy to use.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2013 10:21

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you try the experiment again, but this time set the slider to zero. Try at 50. I do see a difference, subtle but there.

I think you will see that there is less enhancement, but as long as the check mark is there, some enhancement is applied.
The only way of no enhancement is no check mark.

Enhancement is not meant to cure a camera error. If your image is slightly blurred, Sharpening or enhancement ain't going to help.

I do not think you have to render to have an idea if enhancement is a help or not. True, Rendering is the final result.

If you need to make tests, make the test on a 5 or 10 second clip.

Hey! this is an editor, you can cut out a 10 second clip. Isolate by splitting front and back of the section.
In PD 12 you can even produce that 10 second clip without doing anything to the main project. Just use the Orange Range arrow.
Produce Range.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 28. 2013 11:31

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

The “Video Enhancement” is setting itself to 50 by default.
Decreasing or increasing the degree is not making any difference, at least not here on my end.
Under “Enhance” tab, you have the “Color Adjustment”.
I suggest you use those handles instead.

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Did a few test renders with Video Enhancement OFF, DEGREE=0, DEGREE=25, DEGREE=50, DEGREE=75, and DEGREE=100. I could not see ANY visual differences between any of the rendered videos with DEGREE settings - they all look the same. And IMO, the amount of enhancement is way too much at whatever setting it is defaulting to - the video doesn't look real.

I'd have to say something is broken. The DEGREE slider is not working.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 28. 2013 14:14

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
SeaLyon99;

Broken – or not…..
As a dear friend of mine on this forum usually says: it is what it is.
If you go to “Color Adjustment” you will have some control over what happens.

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, sure I can find other ways to make the color adjustments. With all the NewBlue tools, we now have about 25 ways to do anything. BUT, it is pretty frustrating to have to spend time figuring out what DOESN'T WORK. CL, please don't put stuff in that doesn't work, that's only making us waste time!!
skipper-george [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2011 10:40 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same issue. it seems like its on or off, no in between.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I completely agree, the function itself works, but the slider has little effect on the level of application.
It's a function that has had no change/tweaks since it was introduced, perhaps it's time to press a little harder on CL to revisit this. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Masr [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 25, 2014 06:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Are you guys 100% sure this is not a bug that should be reported? They clearly state that the slider should affect the amount of the enhancement but it does not.
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
I noticed both the seemingly excessive correction this function performs, as well as the relatively ineffectiveness of the slider, when I first started using this program back at v10. However, it does apply some subtle sharpening, as well as some other useful functions, so the way I deal with it is to fine tune it with the sliders in the Color Adjustment section. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
rattlinjack [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Lake Macquarie, NSW Joined: May 18, 2011 06:40 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I've been annoyed by the same issue!
BUT, today, playing around with short clips and settings just for the hell of it, I found that (720P footage) from my "Canon 600D"
DOES respond very well to the slider for Video Enhancement Degree. It's 720 50P, on that particular camera.
Anyone else discovered this?
Maybe (SD files) would also respond.
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah, I've found that this function does HD files much better than SD files. When I use it on 1080p files from my Canon Vixia I find that I have to do hardly any fine tuning, whereas with old 480p B & W TV shows I have to reduce the exposure and the brightness by 10 or 15 increments to make it look right. I usually do color files in Color Director, and it's the same story when I apply the automatic correction there, both for HD and SD files. I think I kinda' understand why that is, but I don't spend much time trying to reason why, I just deal with the problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2014 22:18

Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5