Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Access Using Media Library vs My Computer (Pro's & Con's)
BJ1200 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2012 13:31 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

We need some help understanding if there are any benefits of letting PDVD scan our movie folder (900+ movies) or our TV show folder. For the last 4 years using PDVD we've just used "My Computer" to access a movie or TV show from our NAS server. We like PDVD because we loads shows from the NAS into a "Playlist", but we might be missing new capabilities in our upgrade to v13.

Each of our movies is in it's own folder like the below. The "movie.xml" file contains all the IMDB type details on the movie or show. Trailers are usually 1080p MP4's in the Trailers folder. I use Media Center Master to collect some of the folder contents. We don't want to participate in ML or any other service that collects our information or needs registration.

Possible CONS - PDVD Scanning Our Folders:
1) Even with "Movie Info" turned off, I suspect some of our movie data would be transmitted to an outside source, correct??
2) I suspect PDVD can't read any of the XML contents so no movie details. This probably only comes from outside source correct?
3) PDVD can't provide a clean "view" of our TV Shows - see last topic at bottom.
4) Will PDVD still mix trailer files with movie files in the same view?? This happened before in I think in v9 where movies, trailers, and backdrop images were all in one view. It was a mess.

Possible PROS: I can't think of any more benefits here
1) The "Recently Played" and "Recently Added" links might finally show playlists. These are always empty using My Computer to access movies.
2) We will no longer be viewing "backdrop.jpg" images when we access our movie folder via My Computer>NAS. We would be viewing the actual intended movie posters, the folder.jpg image. Combined with a very lengthy loading time, these "backdrop" images are useless because they don't have the movie title. This is what the posters are for (folder.jpg).

TV SHOW ISSUES:
I suspect letting PDVD scan our TV Show folder would create a mess. Does anyone know how to organize TV Shows with PDVD or is this something PDVD doesn't mess with. Currently, PDVD 13 would probably mix episodes from ALL seasons together. Below is how our TV shows are organized, pretty much industry standard.

Typical main folder for a TV Show (Fringe), and subfolder for Season 1.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 27. 2013 19:13