Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Just be Aware...Windows 8.1 breaks PowerDVD13 Ultra
bobmitch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2012 13:49 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
When I try to open manually or insert a Blu Ray, the program crashes on startup. Back to Win 8 for me. MS is really blowing it. 8 was a failure in comparison to 7 and 8.1 is worse yet
[Post New]
bobmitch

Thanks for the heads up. Just what we need another problem with PowerDVD 13.
bobmitch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2012 13:49 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I tried reinstalling it with no luck. It brings up an error report screen, so I filled it out and sent to Cyberlink. I remember this problem when Windows 8 came out...PowerDVD12 needed an update almost immediately. One can hope that someone sees this
[Post New]
bobmitch

You also need to send in a Support Ticket to Customer Service on the current problem PowerDVD 13 has with Windows 8.1 Upgrade.

I'm sure you already know this site is strictly for owners of PowerDVD 13 trying to help each other. This site is not monitored by Cyberlink Customer Support!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2013 05:15

mike.T [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 17, 2012 05:05 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I know,
Updates in CyberLink patch site provides patches to PDVD 11&12&13 with Win 8.1 support
Please check if you installed latest update and the issue still persist.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_US.html
[Post New]
mike.T

The only update that PowerDVD 13 has had was back in August 5, 2013. Which was PowerDVD 13 build 3105. PowerDVD 13 is compatible with Windows 8.

But, there is NO reference on the Website, or in the only update available so far that PowerDVD 13 is compatible with Windows Upgrade 8.1

Unfortunately, your observation is incorrect.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 19. 2013 08:33

wjr002 [Avatar]
Member Location: Kingscliff, Australia Joined: Jun 29, 2011 20:22 Messages: 117 Offline
[Post New]
I don't have Blue Ray drive but just downloaded a file to test and got PowerDVD 13 not responding trying to open it.

Same file opens fine in PowerDirector 12. PD12 Ultimate Suite (upgrade from PD11 Ultimate). PhotoDirector 5. PowerDVD13. YouCam 5.
wjr002 [Avatar]
Member Location: Kingscliff, Australia Joined: Jun 29, 2011 20:22 Messages: 117 Offline
[Post New]
I put in a support request about this and got the usual "check this check that provide more info".

The it reminded me that PowerDVD had issues with opening Blue Ray when Hyper V was installed. I had a support request in about that ages ago.

Haven't checked if this is the current issue but I can see Hyper V services listed in Services even though it doesn;t show as installed in Control Panel. PD12 Ultimate Suite (upgrade from PD11 Ultimate). PhotoDirector 5. PowerDVD13. YouCam 5.
jkauff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2012 10:57 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I can open BD discs and folders, but the movies don't play correctly. Seems to be playing about one frame per second.

Nero Blu-ray player won't work at all--the program just hangs. However, using AnyDVD and JRiver Media Center, I can play the main movie just fine. Win 8.1 updates the WDDM to version 1.3, which is supposed to be backward compatible to 1.2, but maybe not. JRiver filters are 1.3 aware.
wjr002 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I can open BD discs and folders, but the movies don't play correctly. Seems to be playing about one frame per second.

Nero Blu-ray player won't work at all--the program just hangs. However, using AnyDVD and JRiver Media Center, I can play the main movie just fine. Win 8.1 updates the WDDM to version 1.3, which is supposed to be backward compatible to 1.2, but maybe not. JRiver filters are 1.3 aware.

Bug it and see what transpires. More it is bugged the more attention might be paid to it.
Expect a fairly canned reply at first though. PD12 Ultimate Suite (upgrade from PD11 Ultimate). PhotoDirector 5. PowerDVD13. YouCam 5.
jkauff [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can play my discs just fine with Nero Blu-Ray Player, which was updated just before Win 8.1 was released.

I think I've bought my last Cyberlink product.
wjr002 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I can play my discs just fine with Nero Blu-Ray Player, which was updated just before Win 8.1 was released.

I think I've bought my last Cyberlink product.

What video card do you have? The Hyper-V issue is apparently related to an AMD driver issue.
Weird I am showing hyper-V services without it being installed.
Have been in contact with support and they are following it through. I'd stick it out. Usually they come through. I had an issue once with a specific file that play was broken by an update and they were right on to it for the next update.

Bug it. More is served by providing feedback about the issues. PD12 Ultimate Suite (upgrade from PD11 Ultimate). PhotoDirector 5. PowerDVD13. YouCam 5.
jkauff [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a GTX 660. I'm not using hardware acceleration anyway, so I don't think it's a GPU issue. Maybe I'll try it that way and see if it helps.
jkauff [Avatar]
[Post New]
It did help. The discs that didn't play properly work fine with hardware decoding. Must be an issue with PDVD 13 software decoding.

I always used software decoding on Win 7, so something is broken in the software on 8.1.
ivenholt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2011 15:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I had problems too. Pdvd13 became corrupt and I had to reinstall it, then it would not play blu-ray discs, I would get audio but no video. It would play files opened from the hard drive tho. Then I changed to software decoding and it started working again.
elangab [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2012 03:34 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Using 8.1 with only limited bugs with PDVD13U, I'm sure a patch will fix it all.

On 8 it was indeed without any problem.

7 is a very good OS, but for my living room HTPC 8/8.1 is an amazing experience - and easy to use for all.
keithpc2013 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2013 23:13 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I just put together a brand new pc about 3 weeks ago. I was running Windows 8 and Powerdvd 13 Ultra and it worked flawlessly. Yesterday I "upgraded" to Win 8.1 and now blu rays and blu ray files only display a purple screen while the audio works fine. DVD's work as they should.
Luis Michel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2013 13:45 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I have Windows 8.1, and Blu Ray playback is working fine, but I did a clean install.

Sometimes when watching movies with external subtitles, the subtitles stops working. I got some weird issues with subtitles and 3d movies (sometimes the subtitles line breaks make half of the subtitle go to one eye, and half to another...).

For that, I'm using media player classic + 3d subtititler, and put the tv in 3d mode side by side.

I have also issues with trutheather surround over hdmi, as stated on another posts.

For blu-ray playback, I have no issues so far.
ivenholt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2011 15:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I just put together a brand new pc about 3 weeks ago. I was running Windows 8 and Powerdvd 13 Ultra and it worked flawlessly. Yesterday I "upgraded" to Win 8.1 and now blu rays and blu ray files only display a purple screen while the audio works fine. DVD's work as they should.

Thats the problem I had , switching to software decoding fixed it.
keithpc2013 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2013 23:13 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
My issue was the motherboard's video driver. Nothing else changed video-wise. My resolution didn't drop like the driver was absent. Even dvd's played, just not blu rays, which to me didn't sound like a driver issue. In the end once I updated to 8.1 drivers Powerdvd works perfectly once again.