Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Improve workflow - applying fades
Harry Maes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 25, 2013 04:38 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
I'm looking for ways to more quickly apply fades:

I normally double click a video in the timeline and activate fade-in/fade-out and change the duration.
New in PD12 is that these are "remembered" as KeyFrame attributes now so I can select all other videos after setting only the fade settings of one video and apply them. Pity is that for different lengths it applies the opacity settings exactly at the same spot of the original video which is only an issue at the end of each video of course. It helps to quickly set a fade-in but the fade-out needs work.

I also noticed when you paste the keyframe fades to another video and double click it, the fade-in/fade-outs are not checked in the window. Must be a bug?

So concretely:

- How can I set a fade-in/fade-out in one video with a certain duration and copy that to all other video's with only one or very few commands if that's possible? Or what type of transition will give me an identical result?

Thanks for your replies!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure if this will help- but I prefer to use transitions.
In PD12 you should be able to right click the Transitions between your clips and set the Duration.

Which I think is awesome since I no longer have to mess with Duration in Preferences every time I want to lengthen or shorten the stock Fade transition.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Not sure if this will help- but I prefer to use transitions.
In PD12 you should be able to right click the Transitions between your clips and set the Duration.

Which I think is awesome since I no longer have to mess with Duration in Preferences every time I want to lengthen or shorten the stock Fade transition.

Rob

I've been trying transitions which can be applied to all videos at once. Couldn't get the same effect as a fade out of one video and a fade in on another? Or am I doing something wrong?
Which transition do you use?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Harry -

Do you mean you'd like to fade to black between clips?

If so, you can just apply a postfix fade to clip 1 and a prefix fade to clip 2.

If not, can you give a little more detail?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Harry -

Do you mean you'd like to fade to black between clips?

If so, you can just apply a postfix fade to clip 1 and a prefix fade to clip 2.

If not, can you give a little more detail?

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes, that is what I would like indeed. I'm looking for ways to make this a one command action to apply to all videos? Is that possible?

I'm now using the key frame option which is already faster but I need to make changes when lengths of videos differ.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Harry -

The short answer is no.

Despite the dropdown saying "Apply fading transition to all videos > Prefix", it only applies it to the END od the whole thing (not each video).

I can't offer you an easy solution.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Harry -

The short answer is no.

Despite the dropdown saying "Apply fading transition to all videos > Prefix", it only applies it to the END od the whole thing (not each video).

I can't offer you an easy solution.

Cheers - Tony

Ok, I'll find a way that's the quickest for me. Thanks for your answers!