Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Black to white?
gerthe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2013 16:32 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Hello there,
I am a hobby-video maker, and just learning ColorDirector (PD11 Ultimate Suite).

We are shooting a music video, but only now when editing we realize that our talent used in some shoots, for her dress, a white belt, then in others, a black one (some 10-15 sec final cut in total) (see attached pic).
I was trying for many hours to turn that black to white-like, but with unusable results.
One problem is the motion tracking does not see the differences clearly as black goes to gray (or similar), and that even if I worked with each key frame separately, the result was not smooth (having in fact the masked belt in all frames different, not in line with the real movement).

Furthermore, it is also about the black (which in fact consist of many other close to black areas) itself. Practically impossible to replace that with any combination found Regional Adjustment Tools. I suppose that with lighter colors that would be easier. I have e.g. replaced successfully brownish water to bluish, keeping the glitter of sunshine there...

Does anybody know how to deal with this, or should we just accept this cardinal error ?

Best regards, Gert
[Thumb - Black belt.jpg]
 Filename
Black belt.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
black belt
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
592 time(s)
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Gert,

This sounds like a challenge. Now you got me curious.

Can you upload a 5 - 10 second clip of your efforts?
As well as an untouched clip.
Let's see if I and others can get a crack at this and see what we come up with.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
gerthe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Rob,
Indeed a challenge!
I repeat how I see this:
1) Getting the mask so exact that it would not look as a car's license plate - rather to be as the original belt
2) Then manage to give values to the masked are so that the result would look as (as close as to) the original footage. But as to original is black....??

I'll upload the original clip and the file from ColorDirector.

If anything more, pls let me know.

Gert
 Filename
00265.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
original untouched
 Filesize
38322 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
370 time(s)
 Filename
Belt 220913 1.cds
[Disk]
 Description
colordirector
 Filesize
2400 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
436 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello Gerthe,

I somehow overlooked your previous post.

It's been some time since I used CDR's motion tracking masks, but I'm downloading your clip to see what can be done. It's fortunate that there's (mostly) good contrast between the black belt & the dress. That may make it easier. We'll see.

Have you had any success at all so far?

My other thought, in the interim, would be to (a) leave the belt colour as it is (will it create too much of a distraction) or (b) provide a distraction for the viewer (e.g. colour treat ALL the black belt sections). Of course, neither of those ideas might suit your purposes.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
gerthe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello PIX,
nice to hear your are evaluating this.

Unfortunately we shot on one day when our talent walks towards the cafe, and another day when she returns. (This all happens in a half a minute or so in the final story). Black belt during first shot, white on the next...
We might need to leave it so, but as I especially, by going into ColorDirector, wanted to be able enhance and fix this kind of errors and situations , I would not want to give up. Anyway, all these exercises will serve for future works! I do not play Angry Birds, so I can spend time on this - much more fun

I guess that if I would work a full day or so with manually masking very carefully all key frames (about 100), I would manage better the area itself. At first glance there seems to be contrast, but in fact it is not so. The dress has black spots and contour for the flowers etc.. so manual work seems to be the only option.

But then comes the question of really changing the color. I did not find a way for that, even if really working with all of the Regional Attachment Tools. The black simply seems to be so dominant...

I will try with a limited clip, and lets see. I'll keep you informed.

Gert
[Post New]
Hello again Gert,

It would be nice (for you) to be able to put a SOLVED stamp on this thread, but I don't think we're even close yet.

The best I've managed so far is to change the belt from black to a murky shade of grey, which is just a "wrong" as the black! (screenshot attached) You're right. The black is a dominant tone & it's difficult to overcome.

I'm certainly no expert, but I did manage to get the motion tracking mask to approximately follow the path of the belt. If we could get the white to show properly, we might be on the way. I've not yet tried using a selection mask. That's the next step.

Your "talent", by the way, looks remarkably like an actor who played in the British TV series Waterloo Road.

PIX
[Thumb - Belt.jpg]
 Filename
Belt.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
130 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
617 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
gerthe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PIX,

I still try to do a version about this. Lets see...
I understand that this is a challenge. Mastering this would let us master l a lot more.

What comes to how our talent looks, we are of course exited! Lets let her to work in Waterloo!

Anything about this, pls contact us in by email!

gert

[Post New]
Had a go at this today and the results were no better than Pix's. The belt color always wants to turn to grey instead of white. Even if you were able to get it white, I think it might look a bit un-natural because you cant create the subtle shadows , it would appear just pure white.

CD has a lot of potential but its not quite there yet. Is V2 improved much Pix?
[Post New]
Thank you Wnuk, for giving it a try. Looks like we both had the same problem!

I did go ahead and attempt it using a selection mask but only tracked the movement for about three steps before giving up. It's definitely not an appropriate tool for the task!

The difficulty with tracking the motion is partly the swaying of the hips. The belt is moving in different directions and at different angles.

I think I've reached the conclusion that CDR is not up to the task on this occasion.

Gert - you may see the likeness I was talking about in the attached photo(s). The actress's name is Christine Tremarco.

Wnuk - please allow me to get back to you on your last question.

PIX
[Thumb - Likeness.jpg]
 Filename
Likeness.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
238 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
614 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2013 02:56

PIX YouTube channel