Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to keep animation & image settings when switching image
AndyIT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2012 13:35 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I'm new to Powerdirector (I had only tried a very old version 8, but now 12 is much better for me!!)
I'm working on a project and have finished all editing in the timeline.

I have an image I have animated and stretched as required, now I realized there's a mistake in this image and I want to change it without loosing the animation and settings in the timeline. Is it possible to just switch an image (it has the same name) without having to import again in the timeline and loosing the animation editing I've done? Hope this is clear

Thank you for your help guys
Andrea
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello, I'm new to Powerdirector (I had only tried a very old version 8, but now 12 is much better for me!!)

I have an image I have animated and stretched as required, now I realized there's a mistake in this image and I want to change it without loosing the animation and settings in the timeline. Is it possible to just switch an image (it has the same name) without having to import again in the timeline and loosing the animation editing I've done? Hope this is clear

Andrea

No is is not possible to replace a item on the timeline with another item, when you drag the new item to the timeline all previous editing is lost. PD sees the new item as New and unedited.

It does not matter if it is the same name. PD12 will ask to Overwrite or insert and move item on track or all tracks to the right. If you choose Overwrite, the image will be replaced, but all edits to that image will be lost.

If you have a project file of the project, and you only want to replace one image, that may be possible. Any change made to that image you are replacing will not have any previous edits.

An example, if you have a slideshow that has 30 images, you can replace one image, but you would have to re-render the slide show.
Does that make sense?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 20. 2013 09:26

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote: Hello, I'm new to Powerdirector (I had only tried a very old version 8, but now 12 is much better for me!!)

Andrea

If I understand right.
In PD12 you have two ways to change the photo (image) keeping your settings.
add photo 2 in the timeline, right-click on the photo 1 already configured, select Copy Keyframe attributes, select a new photo 2 right-click on the photo Paste Keyframe attributes. drag the photo2 and overlay to foto 1.

Obs: (The new picture must have the same ratio (height and width))

Another way I use a long time. Save the project, Rename the picture to the same name of the photo will come out, add the new replacing the old photo, Open the project

Another way delete or rename the picture will change, open the project PD will ask to locate the photo, redirect to the new photo.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 20. 2013 16:50

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
AndyIT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you so much for your clear and detailed replies to both Carl312 & playsound!! I understand now there's no official features but I will really try some of the workarounds or tricks suggested. Very clever.... Thanks so much for your good suggestions.

Andrea
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
To add to the post from Playsound about Keyframe Attributes. It is an excellent facility that has been sadly lacking in previous versions.

However, it is important to note that the attributes are simply copied and applied to any new clip/image. If the image duration is different the keyframes are not auto-adjusted to the new length, they are just simply applied, over the original time span, which can lead to some strange effects!

The ideal situation is when you have multiple images that have motion, size, opacity etc etc applied to them, in exactly the same way - for instance explanatory post-it notes that fly in/off the screen shrinking and fading as they go (I know, some folk don't like that sort of thing but...... ). In such instances, copy/past attributes is a great tool but it does require the images to be of the same duration.

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
AndyIT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks a lot for additional explanation vn800rider!

The situation in my project is exactly as in your example: same kind of slides flying in/out, but not sure they are perfectly all the same duration in time... so I'll have a try and see what's happen!
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have an image I have animated and stretched as required, now I realized there's a mistake in this image and I want to change it without loosing the animation and settings in the timeline. Is it possible to just switch an image (it has the same name) without having to import again in the timeline and loosing the animation editing I've done? Hope this is clear

Andrea,

If all you want to do is change the image, then you should have no problem.

Because Power Director only saves the filename, location, and the necessary edits you have added, you can substitute the image with a new one as long as it has the exact same name and file location. (replace the file in the proper folder with the new one)

Close and save your project before you do the changes to the image and the file substitution. The next time you open Power Director the substituted image will be used as if it is the original.

Give it a try. I have not tried this in PD12 but I have used this procedure in all versions that I have had.

Hal

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
HalCon made a very good point, one I did not think of.

If you make changes outside of Powerdirector then when the PDS file is opened, with the filename and location the same, that will not be seen as a new file and all edits will be applied.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

wh7262
Member Location: Carrollton, TX Joined: Apr 25, 2011 10:07 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
I did a short tutorial on this subject matter and it is posted on YouTube . It will show the image ratio (width & height) of each image and how the image ratios does not matter in this case. The only thing important is the new images and the original image both have to be in SAME FOLDER in order to use the new image, then re-open the same project and now the new image with the old original's name and effects is being shown...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2013 04:27

Thanks,
Bill in Texas

PD-12, PD-14 and PD15 is installed on this iMAC computer under BootCamp, and PD's are running great:
DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
System Model: iMac11,2
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4022MB RAM
Page File: 2031MB used, 6010MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

PD-12 PowerDirector Ultra: 12.0.3403.0

PD-14 PowerDirector Ultra: 14.0.1728.0
SR numbers: VDE14

PD-15 Power Director Ultra
AndyIT [Avatar]
[Post New]
wh7262, excellent video, thanks!!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: However, it is important to note that the attributes are simply copied and applied to any new clip/image. If the image duration is different the keyframes are not auto-adjusted to the new length, they are just simply applied, over the original time span, which can lead to some strange effects!

The ideal situation is when you have multiple images that have motion, size, opacity etc etc applied to them, in exactly the same way - for instance explanatory post-it notes that fly in/off the screen shrinking and fading as they go (I know, some folk don't like that sort of thing but...... ). In such instances, copy/past attributes is a great tool but it does require the images to be of the same duration.

Adrian et al -

Repeating a fly-in/ fly-out post it note is a perfect way to use the feature! I can't imagine who wouldn't like that Adrian!

It's not only duration that makes a difference. If the image is of significantly different proportions, you get some strange effects too. I was helping out one of our PDtoots subscribers and made a little video to explain. He designs and makes puzzle cubes (a la Rubik).

The video has a series of objects (of similar proportions & exactly the same duration) sliding in and out. I used the copy/paste keyframe attributes feature and it was perfect...

Right up till I thought I'd do the same to a different shaped image...

Note: No scale or freeform keyframes were used - only Motion.

Funny, in' it?

Cheers - Tony

By the way, good stuff Bill!
[Thumb - Copy-Paste_Proportions.png]
 Filename
Copy-Paste_Proportions.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
661 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
420 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 27. 2013 14:32

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!