Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SVRT for AVCHD
[Post New]
I can confirm SVRT currently works with Canon HF100 until it has to render ie transition. It then renders all footage from then on (this has been brought up before) and effectively makes the SVRT pointless.

SVRT does not work at all with Panasonic SD9 clips.
Juan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Dec 01, 2008 23:35 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I can confirm SVRT currently works with Canon HF100 until it has to render ie transition. It then renders all footage from then on...

Thanks pjc,

I have exactly the same experience with my canon H-10, and like you said this makes SVRT pointless. My second question is more relevant now:

Is Ciberlink working to fix SVRT for AVCHD?

I have 27 days to return my purchase.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2008 10:38

[Post New]
I had a pointless dialogue with customer service about the same issue and gave up. If you return PD you may not find much better offerings elsewhere . I have tried Studio, Video Studio and PD with AVCHD and settled on PD as being the best all rounder atm. (and this is despite it having awful AVCHD rendering).
Juan [Avatar]
[Post New]
It would be a shame if they don't get SVRT working with AVCHD files soon.

AVCHD high definition camcorders are already very popular. I'm pretty sure that after christmas there will be a lot of people looking for a video editing software with this feature working properly.

I contacted costumer service about this, no answer yet (your experience isn't encouraging)

It would be nice if some of the moderators, can help us reach the Cyberlink Team faster.

Thank's

Juan

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 02. 2008 16:10

Juan [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is the answer that I received from Cyberlink regarding SVRT for AVCHD in the full paid version of PowerDirector 7 Ultra (2227c):

In response to your issue we regret to inform you that the SVRT feature does not work with the AVCHD files. The SVRT feature works only with the Mpeg1 format files.

Do you think this is an accurate response?
[Post New]
Mmmmm....I did mention something about a pointless dialogue
Juan [Avatar]
[Post New]
SVRT for AVCHD still doesn't work properly with latest patch 2429a. what a shame!

Cyberlink is aware of this issue from what others have posted, however 8 months later there's no fix.

It's NOT just that SVRT does NOT work for AVCHD, the AVCHD rendering quality (recoding, re-rendering) is really poor (artifacts,pixelation, etc).

Although I like PowerDirector's editing interface, the quality of the final video is the more important factor to me. This is the reason why I bought a HIGH DEFINITION camcorder.

I have a bad feeling about this, and unfortunately the time to get my money back has expired.
Tadashi [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Japan Joined: Jan 16, 2009 20:38 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I found that if the movie bitrate is less than 16Mbps, it does not render, if the rate is greater than 16Mbps, it renders.

I have two files, both recorded in 16Mbps mode (HD FH 16M) on the Sony HDR-SR11. Checked the movie profile within the PowerDirector and one file was 15.85Mbps and the other, 16.21Mbps.

AVCHD max rate is, I think, 24Mbps (like the latest Canon offerings).

I really do hope CyberLink does something about this.

I am using PowerDirector HE 7.0.2429a.
Huib [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2008 20:19 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
My experience:
Rendering AVCHD files from a Sony HDR-SR11 camera provides mixed results. This using the max settings of 14.800 bps for the average bitrate and 20.000 bps for the max bitrate.
Files with an average of 15.8 Mbps are trimmed and combined with SVRT without loss off quality. However files with a bitrate above 16 Mbps are not recognized by SVRT and the result when trimming and combining clips is a bitrate of 14.5 Mbps with much longer rendering times and subsequent loss of quality.
Would seem to be a simple change to the program to fix this
Alex [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 28, 2009 22:51 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hope this can help the developer.

I changed the Profile.ini (in App data\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\7.0\) to change average bit rate to 16000000, min to 12000000 (or 8000000) and max to 20000000 (or 24000000) and managed to render all files with SVRT!

However, as soon as I add ANY transition effect, the only clips BEFORE the first transition effect are rendered with SVRT. All clips AFTER the first transition effects are rendered without SVRT.

Come on, man. I love the ease of use of this software but the bugs are soooooo frustrating.

Please direct me to the correct place to report this.
Alex [Avatar]
[Post New]
Correction: all clips that START with a transition effect will NOT be rendered with SVRT.

I'm working on a work around. I'm thinking shortening the clip to a minimum length enough for the transition and then add the same clip again but cut off the first part that is in the transition. Complicated!
Alex [Avatar]
[Post New]
Doesn't work! As long as you change ANYTHING, even mere trimming will cause the clip to render without SVRT. What's wrong with trimming? You just have to jump in at a certain point and do a whole sale transfer of the file!
Alex [Avatar]
[Post New]
So my conclusion is, PDR will do SVRT on a clip up to a point which there is any kind of modifcation e.g. a transition/trim, etc.

It is not smart enough to realize that the transition at the start of the clip will only change like 15 frames of the clip so there is no need to re-render the rest.

My current work around is to let the clip fade to a black image so only the last 15 frames or so of each clip + 30 frames of the black image is rendered without SVRT. It is definitely not the best but I just rendered a 374 seconds vid in 253 seconds (70%! Faster than real time - thank goodness).

Do PDR developer read this? Come on man! It doesn't take much to program and fix this!
[Post New]
Quote:
Do PDR developer read this? Come on man! It doesn't take much to program and fix this!

The answer is no they don't read this but Dafydd the moderator does and he seems to have very good communication channels with Cyberlink. He has taken the issue up which is great so maybe we might get some action on the AVCHD front.
It is not just the poor implementation of SVRT but the poor rendering engine in PD for AVCHD. I personally don't mind rendering all the clips if the output was of the same quality but it is not. That said it would be best if SVRT and rendering were both fixed.
Benny [Avatar]
Newbie Location: New York Joined: May 14, 2008 22:11 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
9 months later and yet another patch but this isssue is still not resolved.
[Post New]
If you can be bothered you can PM Dafydd and upload some sample clips. I personally can't believe they(Cyberlink R&D) don't know about this but if it is the way we need to progress it well I will try to help.