Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Installing older Content pack not possible?!
[Post New]
I just upgraded my PD Suite 11 to the latest and greatest. I probably did a mistake, and uninstalled version 11 first, along with content packs, as I thought, that new version automatically includes them all!

Now I found out, that I miss BlueFX stuff I paid for in terms of PD 11. I tried to install those content packs, but the stupid installer tells me, that it can't find PD 11 on my computer. Probably not clever enough to check for newer version. Now please don't tell me, I have to re-download PD 11, install it all, just to get back to the content I paid previsously for?!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Now please don't tell me, I have to re-download PD 11, install it all, just to get back to the content I paid previsously for?!

I think the installer is giving you that answer!

Don't you have a copy of the downloaded files on your computer or burned to a DVD?
Maybe a Restore point can put back PD 11, before you deleted it.

If you do not have the downloaded files, you will have a hard time of getting the download links restored.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2013 09:10

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Why should I use old versions of any SW? I don't like mess on my HD, and my SSD disk in notebook is not so big. I think Cyberlink should better fix their installers and check for the version xy or higher. Content pack is a content pack, should be independent on any contrete version being installed.

But ok, I got a message, although I find it being really a weird dependency. I am upset, as I deleted my PD 11 install files today, so I need to redownload :

As for download files, I paid for 1 year storage, so I still can access it at Cyberlink's website. From now on, I will think twice, before I delete anything :

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2013 09:14

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Will the New Blue plug-ins for 11 be recognized by 12? I un-installed 11, and as it was happening I saw the NB removal, a little shocked it was forced to do that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2013 09:47

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Ah, so redownloaded, but my PD11 was an upgrade from my notebook OEM PD10 install. I don't have it installed either, so no luck and have to contact our admins. This installation mess is pretty much screwed-up nightmare, Cyberlink should fix that, I see no reason, why content pack, if I own installations, could not be installed upon new version ....
Bhajje
Senior Member Location: France - Orléans Joined: Feb 06, 2011 11:30 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
I encountered the same problem.

I copied the necessary files concerning Newblue on a friend's computer (He always uses PD11), and copy them on mine, and it works.
My 3 newblue packs are in PD12.
These files are DLL, XML, and HTML files).

You can download the joined zip file, uncompress it, and copy all files in that folder:

C:/Programs/Cyberlink/Shared Files/Plugin/Newblue
 Filename
Newblue PD11.zip
[Disk]
 Description
NewBlue files
 Filesize
10259 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
572 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2013 10:21

Jean-Paul

i7-4770K 3.50 GHz, Nvidia GTX 960 2 Go, SSD 500 Go, RAM 32 Go
Win 10 64 bits, DirectorSuite 365
[Post New]
Oh great - I used Windows restore point to get to the point before I installed PD 12 suite. It did so, but PD11 was not able to start, stating something about missing MUI files and presentation\version.kc missing. So I reinstalled PD11 Suite, and thought it will fix problems, but PD11 nor CD, nor AD can start. So Cybelrlink can't even get the basic OS functionality right with their products?
JohnAlfa [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 17, 2012 08:19 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
I am a little slow this morning and not sure I understand what to do.

I have NewBlue 4, 5 and 6.

Is everyone saying that if I upgrade to PD 12 I will lose NewBlue?
[Post New]
Not sure you will loose them. What I think is (and I might not be necessarily right), that some content packs are part of some PD versions. With PD11, I e.g. got NewBlue ArtEffects. I installed PD12 Suite, then uninstalled PD11, as I thought having two versions of PD on my notebook is not a necessity for my work, and voila, removal of PD11 removed also NewBlue Art Effects. So I tried to install those add-on packs back, but installer complains, that you first need to install PD11. So - unless you remove old version of PD, it most probably will stay in place. ...

So, after restoring my system, reinstalling PD11 Suite, then upgrading to PD12 Suite, I have all my NewBlue stuff in place now. It is just that PD11 Suite does not work anymore, even if reinstalled. This is an installation and product management fiasco, to say the least ...
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
In the olden days, when you removed PowerDirector, it sloppily also removed Smartsound. I can't tell you how many people destroyed their SS music libraries by accident.
I submit that CL NEEDS to address this for New Blue. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
JohnAlfa [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 17, 2012 08:19 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
So I guess the solution is not to uninstall PD 11 until Cyberlink fixes the problem for NewBlue.

I did ask Cyberlink support if I can install PD 12 on a different drive than PD 11. Never did get a direct answer. They just gave me the install instructions.

Has anyone here tried it?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I am a bit confused... perhaps by the idiosyncracies of the PDR12 installer... perhaps because I wasn't watching the installer...

Please note - I did not uninstall PD11. It's still installed (along with all its friends).

BUT - I did notice when I first installed PD12 that previously installed NewBlue FX packs had been uninstalled. With PD11 Ultimate, Art , Motion, Paint Effects were installed. VideoEssentials I, II & III were installed separately and are still available.

NOW - Motion & Paint Effects are gone & Art Effects has been replaced by a file with the same naming issues that afflicted some of the Video Essentials packs. Xerox resolved that by editing the .xml files.

When there's a lull in activity here, I'll do an uninstall/re-install to see if I can't get Motion & Paint back on board. I'll use Bhajje's and -pekr-'s advice above.

Quote: I submit that CL NEEDS to address this for New Blue.

I'd agree with that, Barry! And -pekr's assessment.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - NBFX_Art.png]
 Filename
NBFX_Art.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1068 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2013 12:29

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am a bit confused... perhaps by the idiosyncracies of the PDR12 installer... perhaps because I wasn't watching the installer...

Please note - I did not uninstall PD11. It's still installed (along with all its friends).

BUT - I did notice when I first installed PD12 that previously installed NewBlue FX packs had been uninstalled. With PD11 Ultimate, Art , Motion, Paint Effects were installed. VideoEssentials I, II & III were installed separately and are still available.

NOW - Motion & Paint Effects are gone & Art Effects has been replaced by a file with the same naming issues that afflicted some of the Video Essentials packs. Xerox resolved that by editing the .xml files.

Aww nutz ... I thought this would have been fixed by now.

Yes, I definitely agree- I also want Cyberlink and NewBlue to get their acts together and fix this nonsense.
They are both blaming each other for these issues whenever you get a hold of them.

Rob

PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I learned a hard lesson when I tried uninstalling PD10 before installing PD11. I don't remember all the details now but I don't uninstall older PD versions anymore and all content from the previous packs (from Cyberlink and NewBlue) are retained.

But what if you run low on disk space? I have a 64GB SSD C: drive and the Content Packs were taking up 12.5GB! I wanted to keep the content but it couldn't stay on my C: drive. That's where an NTFS symbolic link comes in. It allows you to move content to another drive while Windows thinks all the files are in their original locations. Here's how to do it:

1) Identify the folder(s) you want to move to a bigger drive. Use a free utility like WinDirStat to visually see where your biggest space hogs are. In this example we'll move the PD Template folders from C: to D:

2) Using Windows Explorer, move (or copy, then delete) the existing "templates" folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates) to the D: drive. There should be no "templates" folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink when you're finished. All of the "templates" subfolders and files will be safely on your D: drive.

3) Rename that D: folder to something helpful, like "Cyberlink Templates" (i.e. D:\Cyberlink Templates)

4) Open a command window with Admin permissions(see here or here). You should see a DOS-like window pointing to the C: drive, probably at the C:\Windows\Sys...32 folder

5) Change the folder/directory by using the CD command - in this case type "cd\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink" (without the quotes) and hit enter. The cursor should now be blinking at C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink>

6) Create a directory symbolic link by typing "mklink /D templates D:\Cyberlink Templates" (without the quotes) and hit enter. You should see the message: symbolic link created for templates <<===>> D:\Cyberlink Templates. Type exit then <Enter> to close the command window.

7) Start up PD. Everything should load normally and you should still see all those romance and vacation titles, but now you have many more free GB on your C: drive. Congratulations!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Kevinv64 [Avatar]
Member Location: Upper Midwest Joined: Jun 28, 2012 05:41 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
I had some quirky things happen with my installation. An example:

A popup told me that it detected Holiday Pack 4 in my system. (I had gotten that months ago for filling out a survey for CyberLink.) I was asked if I wanted to uninstall and reinstall it. Thinking that PD12 must be having an issue with installing a pack I already had, I told it to go ahead and uninstall and reinstall. Lo and behold, after the installation process, the Holiday Pack 4 content was nowhere to be found. I went through the whole installation process again and got it back.

It really seems like it should be a smoother process. Honestly, I still don't know if I've got everything I'm supposed to have.
Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
It seems to me that the simple solution would (for CL) to just install the NB effects (and content packs, etc) as a totally separate item so that they can be uninstalled INDEPENDENTLY from the version of PD, and when we upgrade to the next version, those fx/packs will stay and be usable by the newer version (as long as they are compatible, of course).

The only thing I can think of for why CL would do it the way they do is that perhaps it's part of the agreement they have with the fx makers (NewBlueFX or whoever) that the effects can ONLY be used with version x or y. Can't imagine why they would do this, though.

In order to get all of the effects, I've found the "best" way is to just not uninstall the previous versions. It's wasteful (of diskspace, etc), but at least it (sort of) works...

Russell1967 System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
Charles Edward [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2015 10:17 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It seems to me that the simple solution would (for CL) to just install the NB effects (and content packs, etc) as a totally separate item so that they can be uninstalled INDEPENDENTLY from the version of PD, and when we upgrade to the next version, those fx/packs will stay and be usable by the newer version (as long as they are compatible, of course).

The only thing I can think of for why CL would do it the way they do is that perhaps it's part of the agreement they have with the fx makers (NewBlueFX or whoever) that the effects can ONLY be used with version x or y. Can't imagine why they would do this, though.

In order to get all of the effects, I've found the "best" way is to just not uninstall the previous versions. It's wasteful (of diskspace, etc), but at least it (sort of) works...

Russell1967

Hi,

I am installing Cyberlink PD 16, but I have an older PD 13, so this thread seems to make sense to me. Here are my thoughts regarding the content packs:

1) How about reinstalling your older version (PD 11) on the same computer and its content packs. Dont activate it, just install them, then copy their files into your newer version's directory?

2) How about reinstalling the older version and its content packs to a different computer. Dont activate it, just install them then copy their content pack files to the newer install's directory?

Now I dont know if this violate the agreement between content makers and PD, but we did pay for these content packs, so I dont see why we cannot use them on the same computer with our PD upgrade, specially if we are to retire the older version already.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 24. 2018 02:46

Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
I seem to remember trying something like that and it didn't work. The effects were not noticed by the program. It's been a while, so I may be wrong about this.

Anyone?

Russell1967 System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I have finally relented and simply buy the packs I feel I want, they are reasonably priced when on sale. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Charles Edward [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2015 10:17 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have finally relented and simply buy the packs I feel I want, they are reasonably priced when on sale.

We can buy the packs? How do we know what is included in the packs? I mean, can we preview the contents or something?