Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stopped working altogether
GalacticaActual [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Payson, AZ, USA Joined: Jul 25, 2009 14:31 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Can't launch PowerDirector 10 at all. It just says the program has encountered a problem and must close.

Any advice? ==JJS==
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Can't launch PowerDirector 10 at all. It just says the program has encountered a problem and must close.

Any advice?

If it worked recently, something happened to cause it to fail. It could be an update to a different program, an installation of another program, a registry cleaner or just a hiccup.

Use Windows Restore (or a back up) to restore the computer to a time where the program worked. Do updates one at a time to see which one, if any, caused the problem.

If you don't have Windows Restore turned on, do so now. If you didn't have it turned on, you will have to reinstall/repair the program on your computer. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
GalacticaActual [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Payson, AZ, USA Joined: Jul 25, 2009 14:31 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have gone back as far as I dare in System Restores and it still doesn't work. Any farther, and I'll be losing vital programs. I don't have time to re-install and re-update everything I have, I'll be set back DAYS and WEEKS if I do that.

I really just wanted it for the DVD burning capability, so I bit the bullet and bought PowerProducer. That works fine. I use Windows Movie Maker to do my movies anyway. ==JJS==
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Can't launch PowerDirector 10 at all. It just says the program has encountered a problem and must close.

Any advice?

Two things to do/try:

1: Goto Quicktime and install the latest. If it asks to remove your previous version, answer Yes or OK.
Uncheck offers for extra software you do not want.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

2. Goto the the Manufacturer of your Video card and install the latest WHQL driver (NO Beta).
Nvida:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

ATI/AMD:
http://www.amd.com/

Hover mouse on Support & Drivers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 31. 2013 16:07

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

GalacticaActual [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, giving it a try, just for gits and shiggles. I'll get back to ya. ==JJS==
GalacticaActual [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just FYI, I finally got around to trying your tips. They didn't work. No worries, I am happy with Windows MovieMaker 6. ==JJS==